22 Replies Latest reply: Apr 26, 2015 3:09 PM by mgold9 RSS

Marriott to acquire Canada based Delta Hotels and Resorts

jakeal Gold 15 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Sharing news from the Loyalty Traveler blog: http://loyaltytraveler.boardingarea.com/2015/01/27/marriott-acquires-38-delta-hotels-in-canada/

Full news release here: Marriott Signs Definitive Agreement to Acquire Delta Hotels and Resorts -- BETHESDA, Md., Jan. 27, 2015 /PRNewswire/ --

Some highlights include:

• Delta currently has 38 hotels and 10,000 rooms in more than 30 cities across Canada
  • Marriott's distribution in Canada will increase to more than 120 hotels and 27,000 rooms, making Marriott the largest full service hotel company in Canada
  • the parties expect to close the transaction in the second quarter of 2015

Anyone have any experience with the Delta brand?

• Re: Marriott to acquire Canada based Delta Hotels and Resorts
    Sledchick Platinum 9 Reviews

I'm trying to get to Quebec City in June and just looked up the Delta property there.  I have no experience with Delta, but it looks great!  I'll have to see if that would fit into our plans.  Thanks for the news -- definitely a good thing!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

stratman560 Platinum

Stayed at a few Deltas across Canada.  They are a pretty well known full service brand up there and I put them on par with a full service Marriott.  Recently stayed at one in Regina, SK.  Haven't had enough time in one to really try it out, but the rooms are always warm on arrival and beds are comfy.  Id say its a wise move for Marriott and they will fit in well with the other full service chains under the Marriott banner.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jakeal Gold 15 Reviews

Sledchick if this acquisition is similar to Protea I think we are probably looking at  around a year from the deal closing until Delta hotels are integrated into Marriott Rewards  Any insight on this The specified item was not found.?

Thanks for sharing your experience stratman560.

Sledchick Platinum 9 Reviews

Darn.  Just today I found out about two more hockey tournaments in the Montreal area for the spring team.  One is in March and one in April and I thought maybe I could deviate from the team plan and try out a Delta property.  We will have to see about the timing.  This is one Marriott acquisition that is in my neck of the woods; can't wait to try out the new line!

lindseyh Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Hi jakeal! We looked into this, and there currently is no timing established for the integration of Delta Hotels into Marriott Rewards. We'll be sure to keep you updated with anything we hear, though!

jlbarone3 Platinum

This is a great move! I'm esp excited to fill the gaps in Whistler and PEI. These hotels look nice and I hope they're incorporated into the MR brand by early next year!

muppetwrangler Platinum 8 Reviews

The Delta's I've stayed at have all been great!  The maritime provinces would then all have Marriott properties! 

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

I thought I stayed in a Delta Hotel in Mississauga, but it was actually a Monte Carlo....that place was a DUMP!

skiadcock Platinum 4 Reviews

Looking forward to having more options in Canada.  It's going to stay as a Delta brand.

Cheers.

spoiled_traveler Platinum

I saw the press release about the purchase I think on FlyerTalk, then realized the stay I have coming up was at a Delta (client made the reservation).  Its 5 days at the Delta in Kananaskis outside Calgary, a week from tomorrow (Feb 8). It seems to be a bit older. but gets decent reviews.   I found this thread searching to see if maybe I could get points.  THAT would be too good to be true for next week, but you never know .  I go from there to a Westin but no choice in the matter for this trip.

I was pleasantly surprised with the previous posters positive comments.  I'll try and report back on my stay.

Safe travels,

Jenna

zukracer Alumni Steward Platinum 4 Reviews

Always great to see new options being posted.  I wonder though how the integration of the two groups will work or if it will be run kinda like the Autographs and others, certain perks and loyalty bits don't jive across brands. 

packfan Gold 8 Reviews

I have always found Deltas properties to be every bit as good as marriotts in terms of comfort and service although Delta properties are usually pricier.

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews

Has there been any recent information concerning when Marriott will acquire the Delta hotels?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...