12 Replies Latest reply: Feb 23, 2015 10:17 AM by jerryl RSS

MY WORST EXPERIENCE AT MARRIOTT

365traveler Platinum
Currently Being Moderated
Let's talk about your worst Marriott experience. I've got one - Anyone else?
  • Re: MY WORST EXPERIENCE AT MARRIOTT
    dwaneclif Platinum

I haven't really had a bad experience at the Marriott Hotels. Its the other guys I have had bad experiences with; like Holiday Inn.

I refuse to stay at a Holiday Inn because for a long time, I could only stay at thier Hotels (corporate policy), but EVERYTIME I stayed at a Holiday Inn, they were ALWAYS in a state of repair, refurbiushment, re-construction, destruction, disassembly, upgrade, closed for repair or some other prohibitive state that made for a discomforting stay.

I am now with a company that lets me choose and I have preferred Marriotts and if there are problems with my stay, they ALWAYS make it right 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

roadwarrior4u Platinum
    Renaissance Dallas Hotel - Placed an online reservation with this hotel only to find out it was "paid in full, no changes, no refunds" when it showed up on my company credit card account.  No way to expense a hotel bill 9 months in advance of the stay.  There was NO "pop up" as required by VISA/MC regulations to let the customer know they were purchasing a room instead of making a reservation which could be changed/cancelled.  Reservation was made 9 months in advance and I was barely able to get this reversed.  Had to pull out the Platinum Elite member BS to desk people on phone.  3 weeks later Manager was great and thankfully reversed the charges.  Sorry, that is the worst I could come up with.  I love Marriott.  They just need some V/MC web compliance help.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Dwayne,

Same experience as you!

My problem is not with Marriott, but HI, the staff is typically the same, they just do not get it!  If you are a Platinum with them, they have no idea what you are talking about.  The constant repairs are get old. 

tjcnewyork Platinum

In recent memory, I've had two bad experiences at Marriott that were definitely made right but worth sharing:

Although Marriott customer care followed through, the process of reporting an unpleasant incident can prolong the memory.  Interestingly, whenever it happens, I failed to check the peer reviews on TripAdvisor.com  Had I checked in advance, I wouldn't be writing this post - LOL.

kaito Gold

RE: My WORST experience at Marriott!

I had a "confirmed" reservation on February 14, 2015 at the Fort Myers Courtyard. Not only did I contact the hotel around 5:00pm on 2/14/15 to let me know we were delayed because of weather and would be arriving late BUT someone from the hotel called me at 8:30pm while I was sitting on the plane waiting to leave to ask if we were still coming which I said YES but we weren't going to land until 11:30pm now. We landed and got off the plane around 11:45 pm to a voicemail saying that they no longer had a room for us but they had one 40 min south of Ft Myers! Which really was out of our way since we were going to Tampa the next day! I was furious and immediately called and spoke with John the manager which was like talking to a wall.... I am amazed that not 1 but 2 confirmation calls stating we were still coming and would be arriving closer to 11:30 pm that he gave our room away! Then on top of it after dealing with sitting in airports all day to get off the plane and have to drive 40 min south out of or way to get a room. I am also a Hilton Honors member and this has NEVER happened to us. If they felt the need to "give up our "RESERVATION" then they should have put us within 5-10 min away not 40 min! If there were no other hotels available like the manager "claims" then don't give away a existing  CONFIMED RESERVATION!!! That's terrible customer service.

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Ouch, kaito, that really is dreadful. You had a guaranteed reservation, were arriving late and told them not once, but twice, yet STILL they gave your room away. I would have been incandescent! I hope you invoked your guarantee, though I have to say the CY elite guarantee is really the minimum they should do for walking ANY customer in ANY circumstances. The ignorance shown by this CY requires a far bigger bill, one that their incredibly inept manager will have trouble explaining to the franchisee.

I would raise hell with the hotel, Marriott CS, corporate AND the franchisee.

Good luck!

superchief1 Platinum

This is really unacceptable. I bet this hotel would have charged you for the room had you cancelled. With the new cancellation policy, there is absolutely no reason for the hotel not to have held your room.

I will definitely put this hotel on my black list. Please let us know your response from corporate. No hotel guest should be treated like this, especially not a Gold or Platinum member.

lakersfan Platinum 20 Reviews

Did you have a confirmed reservation or a guaranteed reservation?  A couple of years ago I was checking into the Quincy Marriott rather late.  Next to me a gentlemen was trying to check in but we being told the hotel was full and the associate was making arrangements at a nearby hotel.  When he saw me receive my room he became upset.  The two front desk associates explained that while he had a reservation I had a guaranteed reservation.  I believe that if you do not have a credit card attached to the reservation it will not be guaranteed.  All of my reservations are...of course...guaranteed and I have never once had a problem.

kaito Gold

Yes I did have a confirmed reservation with a credit card attached along with the 2 confirmation phone calls telling them we would be late.

Jsucool76 Gold

As an elite member your reservations are always guaranteed.

Plus, how do you make a reservation WITHOUT using a credit card? I've never seen that option.

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

That is horrendous. As others have stated, absolutely elevate this to customer support. Call the Gold line and explain the situation. You are entitled to compensation after this ridiculous incident.

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

I guess that is one nice thing about mobile check in as I have at times gotten in late but it seems the key and room are always reserved

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...