10 Replies Latest reply: Feb 21, 2015 10:08 PM by pluto77 RSS

Arlington, VA (Rosslyn): Key Bridge Marriott vs Residence Inn

7 Platinum 1 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

At least once or twice a year I typically end up staying in Rosslyn. So far, I've always stayed at the Residence Inn and I've always enjoyed it. I was wondering if anyone that had stayed at both might list some pros & cons.

I've got another 2 week trip coming up next month. Currently, I booked a week at each so I can see for myself, but I might change if someone has a compelling reason one way or the other.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Arlington, Virginia, USA Residence Inn By Marriott Residence Inn Arlington Rosslyn
Arlington, Virginia, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Key Bridge Marriott
  • Re: Arlington, VA (Rosslyn): Key Bridge Marriott vs Residence Inn
    7 Platinum 1 Reviews

I posted the same question at FT and someone mentioned that FS Marriott's earn 10pts/$ vs 5/$ at RI. I can't believe I never noticed that before. I guess that's a good reason in itself to go FS. Given that I've already stayed at the RI multiple times I think I'll switch to the FS for the entire two weeks.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

I have stayed at Key Bridge a number of times and always liked it. It is easy to get to and as you said you get more points

7 Platinum 1 Reviews

The only possible drawback would be the lounge being closed on the weekends, but the FT thread says they give breakfast in the restaurant when the lounge is closed.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

They do provide breakfast in the restaurant on weekends when the lounge is closed. Not my favorite Marriott however.  Not bad, but not great.

7 Platinum 1 Reviews

Yeah, I've avoided it in the past and stayed at the RI due to the age and bad reviews. I've heard they did some renovations though and thought I'd give it a shot. I'm fairly easy to please.

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

I haven't been there in a couple of years but they were renovating when I was there. I usually stay at Crystal City Gateway

wb Platinum 5 Reviews

I've stayed at the Key Bridge Marriott several times.  It is an older Marriott, but I've found it a good value.  They frequently drop their prices quite a bit on the weekends when I presume business travelers have gone home. You might want to look at splitting your reservation so you can take advantage of the reduced weekend prices.  I've done that and the staff understands and leaves me in the same room without hassle.  The concierge lounge is not open Fri PM thru reopening on Sunday PM.  Breakfast is ok, although the lounge is small.  Seating can be at a premium.  Haven't been there in the evenings.  The Washington Metro is about 3 blocks (10 min walk) away.   I'd stay there again.

ghostriderliny Gold

I've never stayed at the Key Bridge but considered it many times as my daughter spent 4 years at Georgetown. I didnt realize that you got more points at the Key Bridge - how had I not heard that (does FS mean full service?) but the clincher for me was always the parking fee at the RI was lower and you get free breakfast w/o gold/plat status. Plus wifi was always free (though a moot point now I guess) and you cant beat that convenient little kitchen set up. They used to have cookies in the afternoon but they dropped that The RI was recently decorated throughout. Not my style but new and updated. Laundry is on every other floor and I recommend a room NOT next to the elevator shaft if you can avoid it.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Marriott Rewards members receive 10 pts/$ at Marriott Hotels, but only 5 pts/$ spend at RI's.  I found the Rosslyn properties not as convenient to the metro as the Crystal City and Pentagon City properties.  Also, the Mayflower is close to the metro as well as being an absolutely stellar hotel.  To me, Key Bridge Marriott is tired, though perfectly functional. Weekend and off season rates are enticing, but so are the rates at the other properties I mentioned.

7 Platinum 1 Reviews

Yes, I believe FS does mean full service. I've alwaysed stayed at that RI before, but when I heard about the point differential I thought I'd try the Key Bridge and I'm glad I did. It snowed most of the day today, so it was nice to have the option to just stay in and order some room service.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...