11 Replies Latest reply: Jan 30, 2015 1:30 PM by skiadcock RSS

Netflix & Hulu maybe coming soon to Marriott?

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I just came across a couple of online articles that indicate that Marriott is currently testing the idea of offering Netflix and Hulu streaming services to its guests at 8 different properties.  Sounds like its another way that Marriott is trying to appeal to its millennial travelers.  The articles speculated that Marriott may use the streaming services as another way to collect revenue from its guests who decide to use them.

Netflix.png

http://loyaltylobby.com/2015/01/21/netlix-hulu-pandora-soon-coming-to-marriott-hotel-room-near-you/

http://variety.com/2015/digital/news/marriott-testing-netflix-hulu-in-room-streaming-to-hdtvs-at-8-hotels-1201409757/

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Netflix & Hulu maybe coming soon to Marriott?
    jm1991 Gold 3 Reviews

I was at the san jose marriott last week and they have the service. It was alright. Ive had netflix for a while now and its hard to find something to watch so it makes no difference than watching tv broadcasting. I usually take my chromecast stick anyways and use my data to stream.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jm1991,

Was there a charge to use the service there?  Also did you have to log into your personal account? 

Frogs Platinum 9 Reviews

I've never thought of using something like that while traveling!  That would make it much nicer for the hotels that have few channels to chose from.  I may have to look into something like the Chromcast for myself ... I guess any stick would work wouldn't it.

Love Insiders!  I learn something new!

Happy Travels!

In addition to Chromecast you may also consider the Roku streaming stick.  The Chromecast has a very limited number of streaming services and requires you to use your Android phone to stream.  The Roku streaming stick has a larger number of streaming services available and does not require you to use your phone to stream.  You also have the option of having a physical remote or using your smartphone as a remote.

https://www.roku.com/products/streaming-stick

Frogs Platinum 9 Reviews

Thanks for the great suggestion!!!!!  Staying in a FS Marriott doesn't give you much to consider when it comes to channel options - at least in my experiences.  Seems the other Marriott brands can have a wider range of channel options.  This could help with the boredom factor when in a hotel three nights a week - week after week.  I know I can stream on my computer but that just isn't the same.  I like to not turn my computer on in the evenings if I can help it!

lakersfan Platinum 20 Reviews

Thanks for the recommendation on the Roku steaming stick.  I have Chromecast and am not overly impressed.

travelinvix Platinum

I tried to use my Amazon FireTV Stick to get access to my streaming services, but I was foiled by the captive logins at most Marriotts (the screen where you have to enter your room number and name to access the wifi).  Can Chromecast get around that screen at this point? I found the article below which made it seem like that would have the same issue.  I don't have unlimited data on my phone, so I don't want to run it through the phone hotspot.

Edited: Apparently MRI doesn't like my link.  Search CNet for "How Hotel Wi-fi Killed My Chromecast Travel Dreams"

travelinvix

One possible work around is to bring a Travel Router with you.  This will work as long as the hotel offers a wired connection in your room.  I bought a Belkin Travel Router years ago before Marriott offered free internet to Plat & Gold members.  It allowed me to share my one connection with more than one device.

I still use it today because often times I find hotel wifi is much slower than using my own personal Travel Router.   To keep other hotel guests from connecting to a travel router you can create a secure network or a hidden network.  I like to keep it simple so I use a hidden network so I don't have to bother typing in passwords for devices I want to connect in my room.  After I connect the Travel Router to a wired connection in the hotel room I use my smart phone or laptop to connect to it where I open the browser and accept the hotel internet terms.  After that I'm good to go.  I can connect any device to the Travel Router without any further log-ins.

Here is a link to the Belkin Travel Router Page.  It even comes with it's own little travel case.

http://www.belkin.com/us/p/P-F9K1107/

travelrouter.jpg

jm1991 Gold 3 Reviews

none that i could see on my account, then again i was a gold and had free internet so i dont know if non members would be charged. Yes, you do need to use your own account info and it would log me out if i turned the tv off. worked the same was as a smart tv and using the remotes <^>v to navigate and key in each letter. Streaming was very smooth and had no buffering isues, i managed to watch a couple futurama episodes before heading out to dinner

skiadcock Platinum 4 Reviews

It should be noted that you have to have an account with Netflix etc in order to use it at the 8 hotels.  I've read that some think this automatically gives them access to Netflix if they don't have a subscription, which is not the case.

Cheers.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...