88 Replies Latest reply: Nov 28, 2016 10:48 PM by beauvallonboy RSS

resort fee

ramip Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Do Platinum members have to pay the resort fee even when the room is booked using points?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: resort fee
    vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

Hi ramip and Welcome to Marriott Insiders.  Unfortunately Resort Fees are not covered by points. During my last stay at the Cosmopolitan in Las Vegas I had booked a room with points but still had to pay the resort fee.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

Man, do I detest those resort fees.  I wish Marriott would just charge an extra $25 for the room and not nickel and dime us to death with resort fees.  The last time I paid one it was for the privilege of receiving a beach chair and umbrella which I didn't use, plus internet access which we are supposed to be getting for free as of January 15 (plus Rewards members get it for free, anyway!).

jamesdean Platinum 1 Reviews

Im with clebert,

The resort fees are nothing but a $$$ grab. I as well very rarely use the beach chairs, umbrella, towel etc, you name it yet it is assumed I will, besides if you are a "Resort Property" is not that why you booked the hotel in the first place i.e./ beach access etc. and associated amenities...

The RC are the worst offenders for this.

JD

ramoneur Platinum

detesting those fees;

I can imagine;

I wouldn't even go to a resort because of those, seems like a cheap rip-off scheme

mikiegfla Platinum 4 Reviews

I guess you aren't going to a resort anytime soon.

ramoneur Platinum

nope

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

Besides making the room rate look low, they take a "free" room and charge for part of it.

jakeal Gold 15 Reviews

Hi @ramip and let me echo vaboywnder's welcome to Insiders.

There are properties that have been reported to waive or reduce resort fees for Platinum members.

I would recommend exploring the great list that skiadcock keeps over at FlyerTalk (MASTER THREAD: Domestic & International Executive Lounges Open/Closed on Weekends - FlyerTalk Forums) regarding lounges, but which also has a few updates on resort fees when reported.  One example, albeit it has not been updated since 8/24/2013 is the JW Camelback Inn:

"* Scottsdale / JW Camelback Inn Scottsdale Resort & Spa / Plats gets $10 discount on resort fee ($15 instead of $25); Plat arrival gift 500pts/$10FB coupon; 08/24/13 update"

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

jakeal

Thanks for the info!  It's good to know that some properties waive/reduce the fees.

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

The CY Kauai waved the resort fee for me due to my platinum status.

I was just searching for Marriott properties in Puerto Rico.  The RC there not only does not participate in MR, but its resort fee is $95 a night!  Yikes!  Did I mention that the cheapest room was $1068 a night (well, $647 with my bar association discount, but still...)?

tker Alumni Steward Platinum 1 Reviews

I have seen some resort fees at RC's (Grand Cayman for example) that are a daily fee PLUS 10% of your daily rate. That really adds up.

drchucklesboomboom Platinum 13 Reviews

Last January, I used mucho points for a 5 night stay, and was charged like $25 a night "Resort Fee" (maybe more). It sucked to be charged after expecting a free vacation on my points.

superchief1 Platinum

Marriott VacationClub resorts do not charge a resort fee and most have free parking. It is difficult to get a MVC reservation using MR points due to the fact that most owners do not convert weeks to MR points..

tker Alumni Steward Platinum 1 Reviews

I agree most do not convert to MR points. The conversion is terrible. I didn't think that mattered regarding award availability for making reservations. I thought they were offered from Marriott inventory. (Very limited though)

superchief1 Platinum

Marriott previously got their MVC inventory from unsold weeks or from those who converted their weeks to MR points. Now that MVC has spun off and initiated the selling of Vacation club points, I don't think they have any inventory except from MR point conversions. They may receive a few weeks from owners who rent their weeks through Marriott, but I doubt that many do this because Marriott keeps a large percentage of the proceeds.

Most owners who don't use their weeks now convert them to VC points or rent them on Redweek or another timeshare rental site. 

Jsucool76 Gold

I despise resort fees, but what I absolutely hate is the fact that I need to pay MORE money for benefits I either already get (wifi) or don't want....AND since it's a resort I get no elite benefits. Standard #PayMoreGetLess scenario.

I'm a frequent disney traveler and about 80% of the marriott properties in that area are classified as resorts, and of the full service properties nearby...100% are resorts...if you move a little further out into downtown orlando the resort fees go away, but the hotel prices often skyrocket. I usually end up either at the non-marriott, non-resort status embassy suites (at least you get a good breakfast there ) , or a FFI.

Some hotels will waive or reduce the resort fee for elite members, so it's worth asking, but other hotels will laugh in your face (Cosmo las vegas)

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Resort Fees. A perennial problem, disliked by almost all customers, seemingly beloved of resort hotels.

Resort fees are really hated, and every day many guests checking in at resort hotels will protest the fee, for all different reasons. Then on checkout another load of guests will do the same. Reception staff at resorts receive special training on how to deal with these protests.

So why do resorts insist on these unpopular fees that **** off so many of their customers and cause such a headache to their staff? The answer lies in comparison sites.

Although the number of people who book their vacation via price comparison sites is by no means the majority, it certainly is the case that huge numbers of holidaymakers now shortlist based on such searches. More and more people are using price comparison sites to see what is available in the market. They type in their destination and can narrow down via the facilities they want, but that filtering is pretty narrow, pool, yes, outdoor pool, typically not offered as a filter, restaurant, yes, multiple restaurants, not offered as a filter. Kids friendly, yes, but kids pools, play area, water parks, slides, etc, etc, No.

Running a resort is expensive, much more expensive than running your standard hotel with 1 bar, restaurant, small lap-pool and basic gym. The big fancy outdoor pools and huge number of chairs, lifeguards, towel boys, the cost of a seperate kids pool, kids play area, facilities like tennis courts, and the landscaping needed to create the spaciousness one expects from a resort, though not a hotel, all costs, yet because we use price comparison sites to peruse the offerings, if resorts quoted on the full cost their property wouldn't make it onto the first page or 2, and hence wouldn't figure on many potential guests shortlists.

Effectively the current methodogy of researching our next vacation via these sites is flawed, it favours straightforward hotels who can tick all the boxes but there is a gulf in ameneties between say the Autograph Castle Hotel Orlando and the Renaissance resort on I-Drive which means that the cheaper-to-run but absoloutely not-a-resort Autograph figures very high up a price comparison sites list, whilst the resort languishes out of sight. In order to reach the comparison sites "shop window" resorts have to put forward a lower headline price. So, their argument goes, they quote the price of the standard hotel and then you pay the cost of the resort bit when you checkin.

Resorts are at least becoming more honest and up-front about the fees, or at least Marriott is. The daily fee now features prominently on Marriotts booking page and I am sure resorts hope that as more and more travellers become aware that resorts charge a daily fee, so the resistance to it will wane. I guess I have joined those ranks, though I do still look out for these fees and factor them in when considering costs. It's also worth remembering not all resorts charge the fee, I have stayed at the Marriott resort in Egypt (before the troubles) and there was no fee, though it would be true to say that all hotels in the locality were resorts so all were quoting for the same type of on-site facilities. I have also stayed twice onsite at Disney Orlando Resorts, and again there was no resort fee, though I guess here Disney trades on the advantages of onsite meaning it's always on any holidaymakers radar, so it doesn't need to lower sticker prices to figure in a holidaymakers search, and of course adding resort fees to its already more-expensive-than-the-rest pricing would probably be counter-productive.

Anyhow, shrug your shoulders or hate 'em (nobody loves them, not even I think the resorts, they simply see them as a necessity to make the shop-window) I reckon they're here to stay. Or at least for as long as substantial numbers of travellers use price comparison sites to draw up their shortlists.

Good explanation.  That makes a lot of sense.

carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

I agree clebert , thanks brightlybob!!

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

bob no different than the airline industry. keep fares from going up too much by adding whole lot of extra fees. the difference with airlines generally you can avoid by getting on last or not checking bags etc

jonsummers Gold

2 wrongs do not make it right!

I agree with everything you have said, so maybe it's time for the Feds to get involved. Over the past decade they have forced cruise lines to include port fees in the quoted fare and have forced airlines to report the complete fare, including taxes and surcharges to the shopper.

Maybe it's time that they require resorts to include "resort fees" in the total cost as well.

Jsucool76 Gold

The resort fee IS absolutely included in the total cost while booking a room. It will not appear on the page showing room types (though there will be a notice on the page) but right before you click to actually confirm your reservation (where you would choose a credit card and see the breakdown of all the nightly rates and the total for your stay) the resort fee is included. It is in the "taxes and fees" line, and if you click on "taxes and fees" it will break down the things that make up faxes and fees.

tomd68 Gold 7 Reviews

Or you can just avoid the fees by becoming Marriott Destinations Club owners!  Ok, you pay them upfront when you buy, but still- it's nice to check out and not have a bill other than your bar tab.

Dumb question, but what exactly is Marriott Destinations Club, and how do you join?  And does that mean no resort fees for any Marriott property, including Ritz Carlton? 

There is no such thing as a dumb question, clebert!! 

Marriott Vacation Club is a timeshare opportunity provided by Marriott.  Below is a link for further explanation.

Marriott Vacation Club

702rugbyref Platinum

The funny thing is that premier members get wifi etc for free and that is the resort fee structure including wifi. I ask for it to be removed and it has worked (through customer service 800# at least).

millerms Platinum

I am not sure why we have to pay these.  Isnt spending 200 nights a year enough.  I took my family to Marriott Grand Dunes in Myrtle, had 2 rooms and had to pay 2 resort fees.  I get free internet and self parked, so what did I pay for?

702rugbyref Platinum

Exactly my point. the resort fee is nothing but a tax that goes to the bottom line. IF our services are provided because of our status, I will not pay for it.

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

Resort fees are a rip off that allow hotels to quote you a rate to sucker you in and then to bump up the rate.

I don't care if they call it a room rate, a parking charge, or a resort fee.  I want Marriott to tell me the total charge before I book the room!

ezgoing Platinum

So platinum and gold members get free internet.  But resort fees typically include internet.  There is no discount for the internet portion of the resort fee for platinum and gold members that I have ever been offered.  So the rule appears to be that we get free internet unless Marriott decides we should pay for it as part of the resort fee.  But that is not what we are promised.

Could someone from Marriott address how Marriott is able to justify a charge to us for "free" internet in light of the program rules?

702rugbyref Platinum

Any response to this question? I too see the 'double-dip ripoff'.

ezgoing Platinum

This question has been unanswered for some time.  Maybe someone from Marriott can finally take this up and find out what the party line is on this issue of charging gold and platinum members for internet via resort fees.

deannad Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

We have asked our team to provide clarity around this ezgoing , thanks for following up on this. I or one of the other moderators will let you know when we hear back!

lindseyh Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Hey all, deannad and team looked into this and learned that free internet is available for all Gold and Platinum members worldwide when registered as a guest at a hotel. You do have to click on "accept internet charges" when connecting, but they will automatically be removed from your final bill. This benefit is available at the following brands:

Marriott Hotels & Resorts

JW Marriott Hotels

Renaissance Hotels

Autograph Collection

Ritz-Carlton Hotels

Courtyard (Outside the US & Canada)

AC Hotels

Gaylord Hotels

Marriott Vacation Club

Grand Residence Club

Here's a link where you can check out more info around internet:

http://www.marriott.com/marriott/high-speed.mi?emlad=stockrock30%40aol.com&nck=93075823&ck=391093&trkstart=1&vedate=MAR10&vetype=ADHOC_INT&veseg=MR&veof=GONOW-O&trkend=1]

Hope that clears things up. Let us know if you have any additional questions!

stelzer001 Platinum 2 Reviews

Not the point and not a real response. if Plat and gold get complimentary internet, then why is it part of a resort fee to get internet. This means that at a resort we pay the resort fee to, in part, to have internet access (paying for it at a resort), which is already complimentary for Plat and gold, as per your response above. So please, go back to the drawing board, because paying for something that we obtain complimentary via status is not proper and is in fact dubious.

YYes, I think lindseyh did rather take the low hanging Fruit of general free elite Internet and not the thornier subject in this thread of resort fees where one of the items supposedly included in the fee is internet access, something of course already included in elite benefits. Surely if we already are entitiled to one of the services (ie Internet) offered by the resort fee then the fee should be reduced by that element..?

ALthough hardly welcome, "the dark side" (aka Hiton) deals with this issue by simply stating the free internet benefit is not available at resorts, meaning elites need to pay the resort fee to get it!

BB: I agree, and I don't stay at Hiltons much, so I have no status and cannot comment on how they address it. I just wanted to point out that the response provided by the Marriott rep was not a response but was a cut and paste form the gold & plat benefits and didn't address the question that was being posed.

ezgoing Platinum

What amazes me is that this charging of gold and platinums for internet via resort fees that include internet has been going on for a long time now.  Marriott management can't be so blind that they don't see the discrepancy between their stated policy of free internet versus the operational impact of resort fees that include free internet on gold and platinum customers.

When resort fees began I was often successful in obtaining an exemption, but that is no longer so.  Now it is rare to be exempted from the fee.  So I pay for my free internet, Marriott pretends to waive the fee in its written materials, and simply looks the other way when it comes to this business practice.

And that is one more reason that I refer to resort fees as "sleaze fees".  I think if more people started using the more accurate term of "sleaze fees" it might make management pay a wee bit more attention to their business practices.

bpelican Platinum 57 Reviews

ezgoing

"Sleaze fees" accurately describe these resort fees and I agree with you that Marriott Corporate should seriously look into this business practice not only for their Elite Members but also for the general public who frequent these "resort" properties lest they be compared to the Airlines who have mastered the art of "sleaze fees."  They are un-welcomed add-ons (surprise!) and leave a bad taste with the consumers.  Appreciate our Marriott Associates on this board carrying the message upward.  Thanks for listening.

ezgoing Platinum

Could someone from Marriott please answer the question raised about gold and platinum members being charged via resort fees for "free internet"? 

The "answer" provided did not address this issue. 

We're still waiting to hear back from our team. Sometimes it takes them a little longer than we'd like.  But we want to make sure we are giving you the best possible answer.  Stay tuned, we will be in touch as soon as we hear from them.

Resort fee...argggg!!! me no likes.

As most, I feel its a cash grab AFTER you book the room. I've had limited success negotiating at the front desk check-in to wave Resort Fees most likely due to being by myself, not on a vacation and explaining that Im not going to need a beach umbrella, the beach towels etc.

What bugs me is the reason your staying at a "Resort" is for all of those perks extra's anyway, so should it not be included in the rate??? As far as the wi-fi inclusions in the resort fee, hog wash, its already included in the Elite status for those qualifying.

JD

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

yes an it is common in a lot more than resorts. most Las Vegas Marriott's I have been to charge an additional " resort " fee

Happened to me in San Juan. I was there purely on business for two weeks and stayed at the Marriott and La Concha and wound up paying their resort fee, which isn't a fixed amount but a percentage of the daily room charge. How's that for a money grab??

ezgoing Platinum

Several days and no response to a serious question.  Why management doesn't have a ready response to a long-standing conflict between operational realities and promises for platinum and gold members is beyond me.  I think it would be extremely difficult for them to plead that they were not aware of the conflicting promises and realities until last week.

This business of sleaze fees for internet that are charged to gold and platinum members in many cases could be solved simply by having resorts deduct the cost of internet from the mandatory resort fee.

ezgoing,

We have been working on this for quite some time, and unfortunately we don't have a solid answer to give you. 

It was recommended by someone within Marriott Rewards to let you know that we appreciate your feedback, we understand this is a known area of concern and that Rewards is looking to solidify the best resolution for the customers and hotels alike.

We will continue to check in with our contacts to see if a resolution has been reached.  Once we hear from them, we will be sure to let you know. 

ne_traveling_man Platinum 8 Reviews

Not to muddy the waters but.... When I stay at the Marriott Waikiki on business, they waive the resort fee as a Platinum member I get wifi free and the continental buffet breakfast is not something I want. I have been there on pleasure visit with  my wife  and they have charged me the resort fee.

I guess there is some wiggle room with this fee; at least at this hotel.......

ezgoing Platinum

"It was recommended by someone within Marriott Rewards to let you know that we appreciate your feedback, we understand this is a known area of concern and that Rewards is looking to solidify the best resolution for the customers and hotels alike."

Okay, the weeks go by.  What is there to work on?  Someone simply needs to make a decision.  The best resolution for customers is to give customers what they are promised (free internet) and that should be the best resolution for Marriott also. 

The whole business of resort fees has to do with marketing schemes that try to mask the true room rates from customers.  Why not simply be honest and upfront about the actual room rate?

While this drags on and on, many hotels collect mandatory fees some of which pay for "free internet" and thus openly disregard the promises of the rewards program to gold and platinum members. What does this do for Marriott's corporate image? 

Most likely the "non-answer" is in fact THE answer...

read: the policy will not be changed!!

JD

MArriott won't change this unless the law changes. And legislators are too busy elsewhere...

True, but it's not actually a law, it's a policy, although I had one hotel tell me it was the "law of the land" to charge this (Cayman Islands), when I challenged that, they quickly back-tracked and dropped the fee.

This has to be the worst case of consumer gouging I've seen. If you need the extra charges to pay for all the "so called amenities" then just post them in your published rate, then let the consumer decide if they want to stay at your property based on that...if they do, then no argument whatsoever!!!

JD

OH, i know its not a legal requirement to charge fees, I meant that until the law changes to ban this blatant price misrepresentation, it will continue, and the great and good have better things to do like trying fruitlessly to impeach the head of the inland revenue, or scupper Hillary Clintons campaign.... And I'm not even American!

psudad Alumni Steward Gold 3 Reviews

I just stayed in Key West last week and when reviewing my bill on the way home, I noticed a $1.00 charge without explanation.  So, I emailed the hotel and they told me it was for the Community Foundation of the Florida Keys and was not an obligatory fee.  They said they would adjust it for me, if I liked.  I was just a bit annoyed that they would just put it on the bill and say nothing, I assume hoping I wouldn't notice or wouldn't take the time for a $1.00 to question it.

ezgoing Platinum

The Marriott sleaze fee (aka resort fee), given its implementation, may not change without legislation that requires hotels to include all mandatory fees in their room rates.  But Marriott has an opportunity to brand itself as being honest and straightforward with customers about its room rates by eliminating sleaze fees.  The marketing people could make a big deal out of eliminating disguised, hidden, or shadowy fees.  Marriott could come off as much more honest, straightforward, trusty, etc., than its competition.  But I see no evidence that they will take the high road.

One difference between mandatory resort fees and airline add-on fees is that some airline fees can be avoided (perhaps not easily), and usually customers with a certain status are exempt from fees such as checked luggage.  With Marriott's resort fees guests still have to pay even if they don't want specific items said to be included in the package.

I used to stay exclusively at Marriotts, but no more.  I switched stays in one city where I have stayed at a so-called resort probably a hundred times to VRBO because I am fed up with sleazy dishonest tactics. Yes, sometimes a front desk will drop the resort fee, but sometimes not. And I don’t want to have to bargain like I’m at a flea market over some item when I’m paying to stay at a “resort”.

The sleaze fee taints Marriott’s reputation, but charging for something that they promise to certain customers for free is even worse.  And letting this go on and on without resolution says a lot about Marriott's current management.

ezgoing: I agree with you. The only resort I stay in is using points, at high season, so I use the resort fee as a negotiating point for other things, like better room, free breakfast (I am PE) and have mostly received this in return as part of a civil and one time conversation with the FD manager (who has more authority and discretion than the FD clerks). I have no issue with asking, since if you don't ask, you don't receive. I learned this tactic many years ago from an attorney I worked with. I asked him how he sourced new work, He told me about what he called the casanova principle. In short, if you ask, sometimes you get lucky, sometimes you get your face slapped and sometimes you get turned down. 33% of the time you get lucky, which is a decent batting average in life, as it is in baseball. I am not shy and not confrontational and if my kids are with me, it gives me great pleasure to do this in front of them to teach them life lessons and show them that you need to ask to see if you can get more for your money, that is, value. if I am told now, that too is a lesson.

So, should Marriott ban the separate fee, in my view, yes, it is chintzy and looks like nickel and diming in the context. But then again, if life were fair, I wouldn't be gaining weight or losing my hair.

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

Absolutely, Marriott should ban the separate fee, in my view also, along with fuel surcharges, and other nickel and dime extortions.  They are chintzy!   But then again, if life were fair, I wouldn't be gaining weight or losing my hair, and I'd still be able to climb ten flights of stairs at 75. 

I want Marriott (and all other businesses with whom I deal, to give me a price, up front, and live with it!

jonsummers Gold

I feel the same way.  Is there a way to share this important information with management?

ezgoing Platinum

More weeks pass and Marriott platinum and gold members are still being charged for internet in those resorts that have mandatory fees that include "free" internet.  What is management dithering about in this matter? It has promised free internet for platinum and gold members. It is not always providing it.

Just checked the Waikiki Marriott website and could find no info about resort fee.  Went to online chat where the chat agent had a problem finding the information. The chat agent ultimately said it wasn't on the website but found it in the reservation system.  And the fee includes "upgraded internet bandwidth" so we get to pay for the "complimentary enhanced internet access" that platinum rewards members are promised. 

What kind of corporate ethics lets this go on and on?

bpelican Platinum 57 Reviews

Amen, ezgoing, needs to be done.  Just got them waived at the Hilton Head Resort with no problem.  I am a Platinum Premier, but not sure if that's what did it, since I had to ask.  They need to go!

jonsummers Gold

Is there a list somewhere that lists all of the "resort fee" hotels?