12 Replies Latest reply: Jan 19, 2015 7:49 PM by ks77 RSS

Complimentary Status Renewal?

tsjesq Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I was Platinum in 2014, but fell short of the 75 nights needed to requalify (I ended up with 58 nights).  I was expecting to be dropped to Gold and have 8 rollover nights, but my "2015 nights detail" has reset to 0 and is showing the following:

"75 nights needed to renew Platinum level."

Does this mean that I have received complimentary Platinum status for 2015?  Or is it just a computer glitch?

Has anyone seen their status drop as expected under the "2015 nights detail"?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Complimentary Status Renewal?
    ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

Elite Rollover Nights FAQs Page

Key Information:

• Rollover nights are calculated based on the number of nights a member has earned in excess of the nights required to renew at their current level or to achieve a higher level
    • Rollover nights benefit members who renew at their current status or achieve a higher status
    • If a member achieves a higher status than their current level (Silver to Gold, Gold to Plat), the additional nights beyond the newly achieved threshold will be rolled over
    • If a member downgrades to a lower status (e.g., Plat to Gold, Gold to Silver) there would be no rollover nights
    • Rollover nights expire after one calendar year

Since your platinum status will be in effect until 2/28, I recommend contacting the Platinum line and buy back your status for 40,000 points. That will grant you Platinum until Feb 2016.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

7 Platinum 1 Reviews

What happens to stays booked as Platinum if you lose status? Do you lose the benefits?

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

Yes, you would lose all benefits. So if you were Platinum elite in 2014, it will expire on 2/28/15 assuming you didn't retain Platinum status as of 12/31/14. If you were only to have enough stays to reach Gold, Silver, or no elite status as of 12/31/14, then any stays after 2/28/15, regardless of booking date would not receive Platinum benefits, you would receive the benefits of whatever level you are when you check in.

7 Platinum 1 Reviews

Thanks. I'm pretty sure it's going to drop then. I think I may have to give up on the whole status thing as my travel fluctuates on a bi-annual cycle. One year I'll qualify for platinum (barely), but then the next I barely travel at all, so I don't even get to take advantage of it.

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

Well, what you can do, is if you have 40,000 marriott points, and I am betting you do if you are Platinum, you can "buy back" Platinum for 2015. Just call the Platinum line and tell them you want to buy back your Platinum status and they will deduct the 40k points from your account and boom, you will be Platinum until Feb 2016.

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Firstly, as you ended 2014 as Plat, only nights credited/stayed in excess of 75 would rollover. Since you only had 58 none would rollover to 2015.

Secondly, Marriott carries out its status revisions late in February, so by end Feb you will find out wether you'll be held at Plat, or busted to Gold. Marriott is well known to renew Plat to those that run close, but I don't think 58 will make the cut...

lindseyh Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Hi tsjesq, and welcome to Marriott Rewards Insiders!

So glad to have you join us, and to see that you've already jumped in with a great post. As you may have already discovered, this forum is made up of a great community of travelers who are always willing to help answer questions, share ideas and insights, make recommendations, and share their stories from abroad. They also know what they're talking about when it comes to Marriott Rewards, as ks77 and brightlybob have demonstrated.

Here is our Getting Started Guide , which I recommend you check out as you get familiar with the site. Also, feel free to reach out to myself, joshm, KatieC , or NathalieF with any questions or issues you may have. We're always happy to help!

You ask some great questions, and it looks like you have already received some great responses. I'm happy to look into clarification and see if there's anything else that may be helpful. Thanks for posting!

bjones8162 Platinum 1 Reviews

Thank you all for asking/answering this question.  I was curious why I was still showing Gold when I only had ~35 nights last year.  So that being said, I would appreciate thoughts/input on the Challenge vs. Buy Back.  I already have 5 nights planned for Jan. (in the middle of a two night stay right now).  Should I request a Challenge asap?  I typically stay in small towns, so CYs or Fairfield's are my options.  So aside from the incremental bonus point increase, I do not reap much benefit from being Gold and hate to spend 25K points to buy back status.  However, if I can do a Challenge and maintain Gold status for those occasions when I travel somewhere nicer, it would be pleasant to still be Gold.  Does this logic make sense to experts on here?  Any thoughts/recommendation?  ks77 brightlybob

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

While both options could work, the challenge is only a one time thing. I would personally love to always keep that in my back pocket in case there is a year where my travels fall dramatically and then pick up and then use it. Your situation is unique as you don't get the "value" of suite upgrades and CL access. Those are the main draws for me to keep Gold. I find spending 25k points to retain those benefits for a year absolutely worth it. My last trip to the Pittsburgh Airport Marriott, I requested a suite ahead of time and they gave me the best suite in the hotel. That room wasn't even for sale on the site and would easily have been $300+ a night. So for the two nights I was there, I probably received roughly $300 worth of room just on that one trip. not to mention the two free breakfast buffets both mornings. All in all I was thrilled with the stay and I only need one a year like that to easily make the buy back worth it.

bjones8162 Platinum 1 Reviews

Challenges?

So I am going to attempt to link a previous discussion (not sure I know how to do that) "Challenges?" where I understood someone to say you could do one Challenge per year?  If it was per year, then I am willing to give it go, but if it is truly one time only, then I agree this would be a waste to use it for this...

pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews

I thought challenges were only offered to MR members who had little or no activity and are "straying" from another rewards program. I might be mistaken, though so I am curious to hear if you were able to get a challenge.

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

There's no doubt that the gold buyback at 25,000 points can be a real bargain, not for the extra half point per dollar spent but for the benefits in full service hotels. I value 25,000 points at about $250 and frankly you can get that value with just one upgrade, as pointed out by ks77. Likewise with breakfasts, I booked for my entire family to stay a weekend in Leeds Marriott where all 10 of us got the free breakfast priced at £15/$25 pppn for both days, simply as my elite benefit. That's £300/$500! Or, if you and your partner stay 5 nights at full service over the year you'd recover the cost in breakfasts alone. Alternatively there's the exec lounges, taking my most recent stay at Copenhagen Marriott the rooms upgrading to exec lounges cost an extra $125 per night, meaning in just one 2-night weekend stay the value is recovered.

BUT the upgrades, breakfasts and exec lounge access value is something you have to value yourself. Would I pay $300 for a suite for one night? You're kidding, right? Would I pay £30 for 2 breakfasts in a hotel? As my partner routinely skips breakfast probably not. Would I pay $125 for Exec lounge access at Copenhagen, well, actually, maybe, with 2 drinks costing $25 in Copenhagen, snack food costing $5 for 2 and breakfast being worth (to me based on local prices, not the hotels inflated price) $40 for the 2 of us, I reckon we got $10 out of the hot snacks and desserts, $40 out of the breakfast and it would only take 3 drinks each to get the remaining value out the of it.

MY view, I'd always buyback my Gold status for 25,000 points, no question.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...