11 Replies Latest reply: Jan 14, 2015 7:50 AM by arkwright RSS

Marriott properties in Boston

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Now I have only been to Boston once. It was for a weekend trip in Dec 2012. My wife and I had a good time but would love to go back during the spring or summer. We would love to see a ballgame, maybe Sam Adams, and walk around. The problem is, I have looked for rooms for about 2 years and the rates in Boston are absolutely ridiculous year.round It doesn't matter time of year, location (except maybe airport or more industrial areas) they are always expensive. The Long Wharf is a cat 9 for crying out loud. I have read reviews on it and they are mediocre. I see cat 9 and a $499 a night price tag and don't expect mediocre. Which brings me to my next point. I have a Marriott Visa cert (1-5) and so I decided to see if there was any properties at all that were a cat 5. Turns out, there is not one property in Boston that isn't at least a cat 7. Yes, there are a couple outside of town (9.2 miles away) that are a cat 6 (still doesn't work for me) so come on now, there is not ONE property in the desirable parts of Boston that is less than cat 7?!?! Is anyone else annoyed by this?

Thoughts? IAHFLYR, erc, bejacob

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Marriott properties in Boston
    iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

ks77,

We loved Extended Stay Resorts in Boston MA | Marriott’s Custom House as it is in a great location easy to reach from Logan Airport via the water taxi which will drop you off at Long Wharf and a couple of blocks you're right there. We had a very nice suite looking to the northeast over the water when we stayed there and highly recommend.  We where there the a few weekends before Halloween so had to go to Salem which was an outstanding day trip, even got involved in a locals Chowda cookoff.  North End has some incredibly good dining spots and a short walk from the hotel as well.

P1010362.JPGP1010365.JPGP1010392.JPGP1010400.JPG

We have also stayed at the Long Wharf Marriott which just did not meet our expectations nor will we return to that property.  I'm sure it is better now that when we stayed about four years back or at least I hope.

I also stayed at the Cambridge Suites Hotel | Residence Inn Cambridge MIT Hotel and Copley Square Hotels | Boston Marriott Copley Place about seven years ago, both very nice hotels yet do not remember much about either of them except much further from the airport which is no big deal with the public transit system they have in Boston.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

Thanks for the info! That looks like a great experience!

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

I guess I'm not too surprised about the categories of hotel in an around Boston. I'd look for a cat. 5 property outside the city with easy access to transit (Residence Inn Dedham, might qualify). Still considerable distance to the city, but it might work. I also see the cat 4 FFI North Boston has shuttle service to the MTBA station.

I've not visited Boston on my county collecting trips yet, so I can't speak from experience, but like NYC or SF, I suspect you'll have a hard time finding a low category or price in Boston. I'm not even sure you'll find good weekend rates at hotels that cater to business travelers, although it's work looking.

Boston is on my list of destinations I plan to visit in the next couple of years, so I'll be curious to see what other suggestions are posted.

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

That makes a lot of sense. The first and only time I was there we stayed at the Westin convention center (wife is SPG Gold) and the room rate was very reasonable at I think $159 and that was in December when it was cold. I would have loved to stay at a Marriott but when they are a good $100 more a night, it just didn't make sense.

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

Boston is one of those cities that is cheap to get there but expensive to stay there!  Even the govt rates for hotels in the area run $179 a night.  I stayed at the Renaissance Boston Waterfront Hotel a couple of years ago and really enjoyed my stay.  If hotels were cheaper I would travel there more often.   If you are low on Cash & Points you could always try something like Priceline or VRBO.  Good Luck!

arkwright Platinum 2 Reviews

Hi vaboyboywndr,

That's a very interesting observation. I've encountered exactly the same issue in planning for a visit in May. In the end, I plumped for the Renaissance, using more than a few points.

The question that occurs to me is the obvious one: "why?". Is it simply a question of a supply and demand imbalance, with the latter being fueled - exceptionally - by tourists.? Or are there other factors - academic influx, sporting events, commercial events - at work?

Best regards,

A

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

All of the above. Boaston is really small walkable city  But with all the great colleges and hospitals and of course history they get a lot of visitors. Agree with prior post one can get a hotel on one of the subway lines and take train in .

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

arkwright,

I think jerryl is right.  The city gets lots of visitors/tourists.  Since it's also close to the Cape that is another draw to the city.

blitzenco Gold

You might try the Residence Inn at Tudor Wharf.  It is a great place to stay that is a little out of the fray of downtown, but is very accessible (just a mile or so walk along the Freedom Trail, or a very short walk past the USS Constitution (Old Ironsides) right next door to the inner harbor ferry which takes you downtown for around $4 each way if I remember.  You can walk up the hill to Bunker Hill (Breed's Hill) as well.  The Warren Tavern is a few blocks away generally towards Bunker Hill (bearing left-get directions).  You can get there a few different ways from the airport (inner harbor water taxi, then across to the airport on the water taxi or via the T).  You can do all this without a car which just ends up being a hassle and larger expense if you are only in town 3-5 days.  You can hit the aquarium, numerous museums downtown, Harvard, etc.  Again, don't forget the Freedom Trail.

PS:  Residence Inn Tudor fills up.  Clean hotel, breakfast included. Can usually get rates in the $150-180 range (breakfast takes the edge off)

wally3433 Platinum 2 Reviews

What alot of people do not realize is that Boston is SMALL!  There are only 650k people in Boston, yes - I know, there are 5 million in the metro area, but the town of Boston itself is small - people wise and square mileage.  Therefore, ANY hotel that is open is going to be expensive, because there just is not that much real estate to go around.  Thus, everything is at a premium.  The good part of this - visiting the town is very easy.

I have stayed at the Wharf, and would agree that you need to do the math to see if it's worth it for you.  We did points one night and cash the next.  The location is perfect, but the service - it's almost impossible to live up to a rate of $500 a night for a simple room - right?  It's not a terrible hotel, but you are paying for the location.

We have also stayed at the Residence Inn Boston Cambridge - and got a pretty good rate, well in advance of our stay.  Same for the Renaissance Boston Waterfront - which is right near alot of fishing boats, etc.

Try booking in advance and keep checking for a better rate.

arkwright Platinum 2 Reviews

Many thanks for all the explanations and suggestions. Very helpful and - I'm sure - useful.

A

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Incoming Links