57 Replies Latest reply: Sep 15, 2015 8:43 PM by bejacob RSS

Hawaiian Itinerary set (HNL-KOA-OGG)

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

After months of dreaming about it and a few weeks considering options, my Hawaiian trip is now booked. I appreciate all  the suggestions from my earlier post Re: Honolulu, plus either Kauai or the Big Island. If it weren't for that, Maui would not be on the agenda.

Now comes the fun part. Putting together a list of all the things to do. Having been to both Oahu and the Big Island before, I have at least some idea of what to see. Maui, I can just go on what I've read or heard from others (kharada46's photographs and blogs are a big help).

On the Big Island I picked the Mauna Kea Beach Hotel, which is now (or will be soon) an Autograph property. Based on Insider feedback, I'll be at the Maui Ocean Club - Lahaina & Napili Towers (it does say I have an Oceanfront room, so I'll see that that means ).

I'll be reading kharada46's blog for inspiration and suggestions of things to do.

Here's my short list (so far)

Climb Diamond Head (again)

Visit Volcanoes National Park (again)

Stargazing atop Mauna Kea

Snorkel in Kealakekua Bay and at Molokini

Surf lesson (again)

Mail postcards from Honolulu, Hilo, and Wailuku (for my county seat collection).

I've already been to the memorial at Pearl Harbor, so I probably won't visit again this time. There are a number other things I'm considering (Haleakala, Road to Hana, luau, just to name a few).

I'm interested in Insider's opinions of the Marriott properties I'll be visiting.

I also welcome suggestions of things I shouldn't miss.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Honolulu, Hawaii, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Waikiki Beach Marriott Resort & Spa
Lahaina - Maui, Hawaii, USA Marriott Vacation Club Intl Marriott's Maui Ocean Club - Lahaina & Napili Towers
Hawaii, USA
  • Re: Hawaiian Itinerary set (HNL-KOA-OGG)
    iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Great new and I do hope you get the Maui Oceanfront rooms as the are really lovely.  Did you get a villa or 1BR because if the villa you have to grill some fresh fish from the local fish market  Fish Market Maui | Fresh Seafood | Eat In or Take Out | Fish Market Maui | Maui Seafood | Maui Takeout | Good GrindsFish Market Maui | Maui Seafood | Maui Takeout | Good Grinds near Times Supermarket or at least go for fish tacos and Poke.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Using points for the dates I wanted, my only option was a 1BR guest room, oceanfront, balcony. No villa which is fine as it will just be two of us. With so much to do, I don't anticipate spending a lot of time in the room anyway.

I'm curious about your trip to Hana (and the road you took back ). It sounds like something I would try to do, though your warning makes me think twice.

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

my favorite think to do on Maui was the bike ride from the top of Mauna Kea to ocean level. Starts out real cold( they give you warm gear) and you work thru the inside of the island thru small towns and ranches that make you feel like you are in Cal. by the time you get to the bottom your in shorts and a tee. A bus follows you so you don't get picked off by traffic.

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews

jerryl. I've heard that the bike ride down Haleakala (not Mauna Kea which is on the Big Island) is a blast.  I've never been able to get my nerve up to ride down it.  I guess I'm just accustomed to riding in the flat landscape of south Louisiana.

The road to Hana is very famous for it's numerous hairpin curves and gorgeous views of the ocean and cliffs very near the road.

Road to Hana Maui | Preparation for Hana Highway

The Road to Hana Maui | Best Spots, Tips, Video, Photos of Hana Road

Tips for Driving the Road to Hana | Go Visit Hawaii

And then there is the road on the south side of the island.

Can I Drive the South Road Back from Hana?

Great links, IAHFLYER.  A couple of years ago we took a guided tour of the Road to Hana instead of my husband trying to drive and look, too.    I have been trying to remember which company we used.  Our small bus actually made the return trip on the South Road.  I don't remember seeing another vehicle on that road.  It sure would have been difficult to pass another vehicle on numerous sections of the road.  On our last trip we did not have the time to take the tour again, so my husband decided to drive part of the road and he said it wasn't too bad.  We were looking for the stop where local residents sold banana bread, etc.  We found it; however, everything was closed on that day (or maybe they had already sold everything .)

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

bejacob, IAHFLYR is right, Fish Market Maui is pretty awesome.Their poke was delicious. I have been to Maui four times and if you need/want any recommendations let me know. From car rental companies, to restaurants, to excursions, let me know and I can help.

Good deal, ks77. It's good to have an Insider edge. I've done fairly well finding details on various excursions (i.e. snorkeling trips to Molokini). I haven't been as successful finding details about the Maui Ocean Club. As a MVC, there don't seem to be reviews available (unlike other Marriott properties). I've gleaned a few tidbits, but not as much as I would like. I suppose I should do a more comprehensive search to see what shows up.

Please share your favorite Maui restaurants. One can never have enough suggestions in that area.

As for car rentals, we always just used the ragtop Mustang from Avis, very easy to hop the bus to the right of the terminal as you stand just outside of it and poof, you're off to HWY 30.

Can't help much with dining as we had a full kitchen on each of our most recent trips so we grilled each night, but for a wonderful view and fun place for lunch and "meds" Lahaina did the trick, the plastic burger was great!!

S3600026.JPG

What stuff are you looking for regarding the Maui Ocean Club?  Not that I can remember, but ya never know.

Just curious what to expect (never tried a MVC before). Looks like limited on site dining (which is fine). Any Platinum perks (other than 500 MR points)? What's within walking distance? You know, the usual stuff. Having never been to Maui (and with only a few days there), I want to make the most of it.

The other islands, I know enough to be able to do all the stuff I want and to know where things are. I'm sure I'll find thing out on Maui for myself, but I'd hate to discover after I leave, that I missed something cool just around that next corner.

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

My recommendations for places in walking distance are:

Leilani's:

Great bar and apps menu. They have the infamous "Hula Pie" there that is amazing for dessert. I would go there for lunch or for drinks,

Son'z:

In the Hyatt, a full service sit down place. I had steak, the wife had fish. Both meals were excellent, the place was quiet when we were there but it was a weekday and a little early. We certainly didn't complain. There is a cool waterfall and swans too.

In Lahaina:

Pacific'O: Outside and inside seating, delicious fresh seafood.

Lahaina Grill: Have never been but hear great things, very highly rated online.

Kapalua:

Sensei: Sushi place. Delicious and reasonably priced. Next to the Ritz. The wife and I love it there.

Paia:

Mama's Fish House: 40 minute drive from Kaanapali, but delicious food. Very highly rated. Reservations are a MUST.

I know I don't have to say this, but avoid chain places (Ruth's Chris, Hard Rock Cafe), and the places that are only in business due to view and not the food (Kimo's, other places on Front Street in Lahaina).

Great suggestions ks77, particularly Sansei | Kapalua Resort for their Happy Hour.  They are lined up outside waiting for the 5:30 PM doors to open to get your seat at the sushi bar so get there early.  Amazing food and saki!!!

Aloha, bejacob.  I know you are excited about your upcoming trip to Hawaii.  After a trip to Kauai and Maui in 2013, I had commented that maybe we needed to look into going into another beach destination.  Well, we just can't resist going again to see the whales in Maui and the volcano in Hawaii.  As I mentioned in a reply to IAHFLYER, we have been trying to remember the company we used to travel the Road to Hana. It was a fantastic tour and it gave my husband the chance to look at something other than the road.  I'll let you know if we remember what company we used.

I think it is erc who recommends TravelZoo, GoldStar, etc.  We found a great 1/2 price deal on the show 'Ulalena at the Maui Theatre on TravelZoo.  This particular offer expires on June 30, 2015; however, it might be worth your time to watch sites like that for great offers.

I also watch kharada46's posts to gather more information. Other Insiders who are familiar with the Islands have also provided great information.  We always look forward to learning about new things to do, places to eat, etc.; however, it seems like we are such creatures of habit that we always return to our favorite places, too.  I use the Fodor's guidebooks as one source of inspiration. too.  Please continue to share your plans as you make them.  Maybe I will learn new things from them.

razorbackfan, I'm guessing the company for the Road to Hana was Valley Isle Excursions (See The Road to Hana | Maui Tours | Road to Hana Tour).

If I go, this will probably be the way to enjoy it best. I love to drive, but on this route it might be better to just enjoy the sights.

Thanks for the tips on discounts. Those are always welcome.

Keep the suggestions coming, gang. I love them. Tips about the hotels I've picked, favorite restaurants (and tiki bars, if you know some good ones ), don't miss attractions, or anything else that comes to mind.

Who knows, some of your favorites might become my favorites too.

kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews

bejacob, sounds like it's shaping up to be a great trip!  Too bad erc isn't active in Insiders so that he may share his experience hiking up Diamond Head with his entire family in tow. 

I'm ready and willing to give you my 2 cents if you'd like it!  So feel free to ask away  

Will do, kharada46. My list of must do activities hasn't changed from my original post. I do want to visit La Mariana near Sand Island. The Tiki bar looks exceedingly cool, and I must admit to being a bit of a sucker for such things (kitchy or not ).

I do expect to hit the north shore of Oahu at some point. As for the rest, well, you've seen the list.

I read your post(s) on the Waikiki Beach Marriott. While I don't like the idea of the resort fee (now up to $30), it sounds like there might be some value in paying it ("free" Mai Tai per day?, and maybe a couple breakfast vouchers). I'll ask when I get there, but if you have any updates, I would appreciate it. It helps to know what to ask for upon arrival.

bejacob Ah the La Mariana... I believe Mr. Anthony Bourdain visited that Tiki Bar during his No Reservation days.  And ironically he's been here on Oahu all week filming for what I'm presuming will be a Parts Unknown episode! 

Anyhow, North Shore is always a must.  Everyone crowds around Lanieakea Beach to see the sea turtles resting, and while it's nice, you'll have a decent chance of seeing them at Haleiwa Beach Park too sans the crowds.  I'm assuming you're going to hit the shrimp trucks too??  Great debates about which is best, but my friends all argue about Giovanni's and Fumi's. 

I've done some digging around and it seems like the insane why do elites get charged? resort fee does still include free mai tais some breakfast vouchers, and movies rentals in addition "Wifi," though that's supposed to be free for all MR guests booking through Marriott direct now.... Lot's of mixed experiences on room upgrades and what not, but I've consistently upgraded, so I've got high hopes for you!  If offered a choice between an ocean view room and a jr suite, I'd opt for the ocean view room... but then again, you already knew that from my review right?? lol

Well, this trip is now almost here. I'll apologize in advance for not being very active on Insiders during the first couple weeks of September. I plan to be busy enjoying Hawaii. I will try to check I from time to time, but likely won't post much in the way of photos until I return home.

Things are shaping up for another Insider meeting, this time with kharada46.

Surprisingly (or not) the list of probably activities I made back in January has changed very little.

Now I just need hurricane Ignacio to move away from Hawaii BEFORE I land at HNL. I refuse to be intimidated by a storm that thinks it can ruin my vacation in paradise. Ain't gonna happen!

chromeyun80 Platinum

I hope you have a blast! I enjoyed my HI trip few years back and actually planning to go back and explore different islands next year.  Good thing you have things planned but it is also nice to do unexpected things... Let the beauty of HI leads your footsteps and mark your grounds.

deannad Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

This trip sounds amazing!! So excited for you to take some time off of work to relax, explore, and of course, meet up with kharada46! We will anxiously be awaiting pictures when you get back. Make sure to include some of the yummy food during your travels and who knows, maybe you'll be lucky enough to have a home cooked meal from kharada46 . ENJOY!

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

I'm in HNL for business first week of Nov. and will miss your schedule by a week or two.  Too bad as it would be fun to meet an Insider's Insider.  I'm supposed to be flying to TPA next week if Tropical Storm Erika lets me.  Darn hurricanes.  Have a great trip, bejacob!

We'll have to find somewhere to meet eventually, clebert. Insider get togethers are a nice side benefit of this site.

Looking forward to it bejacob!  And I don't think you have anything to worry about... both hurricanes look like they're veering north and will miss the state

LuckyCharm$ Gold

bejacob Safe travels! I know you will enjoy & we await your great pics.

So this doesn't look too good...

Screen Shot 2015-09-03 at 11.40.06 PM.png

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

AS we don't get hurricanes here in Europe I've no idea how to read that, except that the widening red area seems to be heading straight for Hawaii.

i Hope I'm wrong bejacob and you have a great time!

brightlybob that red area is known as the "cone of uncertainty," which shows the possible track of the storm if it strays off of it's central track.  Luckily it shouldn't remain a hurricane if it impacts Hawaii, so if any effects are felt at all by bejacob, it'll likely be hot, humid, stormy weather like it has been the past couple of weeks.  Or as foxglove put it, a "cocktail party story" experience

II've learned my new phrase of the day... Cone of uncertainty!

insiders is beneficial in so maNY ways!

That looks really "no bueno"!  Hopefully these charts will be wrong just like most of weather forecasts are.

foxglove Silver 3 Reviews

What's a vacation without a tropical storm, hurricane , or mechanical catastrophe ? Those are the things that REALLY generate those "cocktail party travel stories."

All kidding aside, enjoy the adventure, take copious notes, and fill us all in upon your return. Safe travels, my friend!

Will do. So far so good. I'll have a great write up on the Mauna Kea Beach Hotel. All I can say so far is WOW! Luxury and an unbelievable level of personal service. I promise to take lots of pictures of the next few days.

Really enjoyed meeting kharada46 and his lovely wife. I'll post a picture of that Insider meeting when I get home in a little over a week.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

bejacob,

Have a wonderful trip! 

Wish I could join you again, and get a chance to meet the wonderful, The specified item was not found.!

If you can, make sure you send info/pictures!

Do me one favor, check-out, "Michel's At The Colony Surf"!  It was a place I was lucky enough to dine at six times, and it was fabulous.

BTW, I will make sure our paths meet again!

jerrycoin, Michele's is still there!  The menu is a little different than it used to be, but the restaurant really hasn't changed.  Same, classic service as always.  I've never had dinner there, but have been there a couple times for brunch. 

You really do need to come back to Honolulu some time soon for an Insiders meet up

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

bejacob,

Have a wonderful trip!

Wish I could join you again, and get a chance to meet the wonderful, The specified item was not found.!

If you can, make sure you send info/pictures!

Do me one favor, check-out, "Michel's At The Colony Surf"!  It was a place I was lucky enough to dine at six times, and it was fabulous.

BTW, I will make sure our paths meet again!

I will post pictures  but probably not until I get home. I'm using a mish mash of technology (tablet, cell phone, digital camera, go pro camera, etc.) so pictures are on multiple devices that don't easily share. When I get home to my computer, I'll be able go through everything and post the best ones.

I'll put up a bunch of photos along with a write-up of the Mauna Kea Beach Hotel. Also have what I hope are some decent underwater pictures (haven't had a chance to review them yet).

Still more adventures to come. Today is Volcanoes National Park and tomorrow is a trip up to the top of Mauna Kea to watch the sunset and star gaze. No idea what sort of photos I'll get there. Maui is still ahead as well.

Having a great time. I promise to share details and pictures in a week or so.

Enjoy a wonderful time bejacob, can't wait to see your photos and hear all about your meeting with our famous island dude and dudette (kharada46)!!

Back home after a wonderful trip. As I settle back into a normal routine, I'll start posting details of the trip along with pictures. Lots to share about the Marriott properties at which I stayed and some of things I experienced. It will take a little time to put it all in some semblance of order, but I'll do my best to get started in the next day or two.

Welcome back stateside, BE! I'm glad you had a terrific trip and am looking forward to the reports.

Be careful using "stateside" around anyone from Hawaii because I never left the "states." It is good to back on the mainland, though.

bejacob, you are right on about that one!  Also don't ask if they take U.S. currency - haha!  Same with Alaska and Puerto Rico.  Although I do confess to calling AA and asking if Puerto Rico was considered a domestic flight for baggage rules because they have it listed as a "country."

Give us all a wonderful report of your trip to the U.S. Hawaiian Islands when you get a chance

From Merriam-Webster:

stateside

:  being in, going to, coming from, or characteristic of the 48 conterminous states of the United States

Words are my business.

Fair enough. Just saying that many folks from Hawaii take umbrage at being excluded from the rest of the "states". They prefer mainland to stateside. At work we just us CONUS (CONtinental US).

Either way, it's always nice to return home.

Hey, we're all just jealous of them, and that's why they're excluded.

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

Living on the East Coast we always call places like California "out West" and when I am on the West Coast, they refer to where I live as "back East", then when I am in the Hawaiian islands they call it the "mainland". I love that. I wish I could live on Maui, I absolutely love it there.

Woe to the man who refers to the mainland as "stateside" to anyone in Hawaii.  It might be correct, but it is a pretty good way to offend people in Hawaii.  It is, however, perfectly fine to refer to the police as "5-0" anywhere in the US

I guess you just can't teach an old dog new nomenclature 'cause if I can't walk to it, it ain't stateside. But... if I ever get to Hawaii, so as not to offend, I'll leave that term behind stateside.

Looking forward to your forthcoming posts. Hope you didtime have the same "post holiday crash" that I felt on returning to work

carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

Looking forward to your trip review bejacob!

foxglove, I only know what kind of reaction this provokes since I kept saying it while in Hawaii.  The harder I tried not to say it, the more it slipped out! 

john_thai Platinum 8 Reviews

Everbody has their own view of Hawaii. Sounds like beaches and history are big for you. Personally, I prefer Kauai. Some beaches but also some absolutely fabulous walks/hikes. That is my preference.

john_thai Platinum 8 Reviews

Everbody has their own view of Hawaii. Sounds like beaches and history are big for you. Personally, I prefer Kauai. Some beaches but also some absolutely fabulous walks/hikes. That is my preference.

Photos of the Mauna Kea Beach Hotel can be found at Mauna Kea Beach Hotel. In the coming days I'll post a write up including some of these photos.