21 Replies Latest reply: Jun 28, 2015 10:36 PM by jmanrunner RSS

Cancelation Policy

ndn Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Can somebody let me know how the cancelation policy works? Here is how it is written:

You may cancel your reservation for no charge until Month day, year (1 day[s] before arrival).

Does this mean that we have THROUGH the day before arrival to cancel? Or does it mean that we have through the day before that? For example, if a reservation is for February 3, do we have through Feb 2 at 11:59 pm to cancel or through Feb 1 at 11:59 pm to cancel? These things are often written incorrectly and lead to a lot of confusion. As the policy is currently written in the reservation, it is through Feb 1 at 11:59 pm. However, the policy change announced at the beginning of the year indicated that it would be the other way (Feb 2 at 11:59 pm).

Please fix these kinds of inconsistencies with programs announcements and how they are written when reservations are made. These issues only show incompetence on the part of the company. Feel free to send me a check and a 1099 for my efforts in solving this issue for you.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Cancelation Policy
    iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

The way it currently reads under the "About The Rate" link when you select your room type it depicts the date by when you won't get charged when you cancel a reservation. 

To me regardless of how the cancellation policy was written always look to see what the date is for the specific rate, but yes consistency would be very nice wouldn't it NathalieF, The specified item was not found., lindseyh and KatieC?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

ndn Platinum

I see nothing "depicted" in that link. All I see is exactly what I wrote, which is what the confusion is all about. They use the word, "until," in the about-the-rate link, which means that you must cancel PRIOR to that date; but then they say the opposite in the official announcement for the new cancellation policy. My question stills stands.

And I still find it pretty easy to figure out.....To me regardless of how the cancellation policy was written always look to see what the date is for the specific rate.  You can't go wrong if you cancel using this concept and the question is answered, again in my mind.

ndn Platinum

Ok so given the following statement, when is the last time that I can cancel without a fee:

You may cancel your reservation for no charge until January 27, 2015 (1 day[s] before arrival).

11:59 PM hotel time on Jan. 26th.

ndn Platinum

Correct! That is what is written. But I bet you will find that what they meant to write was 11:59 PM hotel time on Jan 27, which is what the official announcement indicates. That is why I am asking this question: I suspect they wrote the wrong thing here and need to correct it.   

I don't believe it matters much what they "meant to write" as the deadline is clearly published. One of the reasons I included all the Insiders Team was to get the consistency you mentioned.

ndn Platinum

merb lindseyh Do you perhaps know this one?

lindseyh Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Hey! I'm going to triple check that the answer I have is correct, and I'll let you know asap. I hear you on the inconsistencies, and know of annoying being told different things can be. I will make sure this thread gets passed along to the right people, so we can work towards resolving this!

Hold tight, and I'll confirm the cancellation time for you.

lindseyh Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Hey @ndn,

Looking back at your original thread, if your reservation is for February 3, the latest time you have to cancel would be 11:59 PM on February 2. It's important to keep in mind that this is the hotel time, in case you are travelling to another time zone.

As I mentioned before, I have pass on your note about inconsistencies in the times you are seeing, in the hopes that that can be resolved.

Let me know if you need any more clarification or have any more questions!

ndn Platinum

lindseyh Thanks! That is what I thought; it matches the original announcement about the policy change. This policy is also still superior to the new policies from SPG and Hilton. People saying that they will chose those brands because of Marriott's policy change will be surprised to see that Marriott's new policy is less restrictive than the new policies for many other major hotels.

That said, the policy that you quoted me is NOT what the cancelation policy on the reservations say. This inconsistency makes Marriott look really bad--like a company that doesn't know English. This should really be rectified because it is causing confusion and hurting both the company and customer. As I said, I am also open to methods of payment or other ways of thanking me for fixing this issue.

davefromtn Platinum

Holiday Inn is still less restrictive.  On recent trips to LA and Dallas I found their hotels to be much cheaper than other major brands.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

I had a reservation yesterday at a Courtyard near SNA which had recently implemented the new 24 hour cancellation policy.  I contacted them at 4pm and informed them of my reservation, but that I felt I needed to cancel due to the weather concerns related to highway travel on the Tejon Pass (commonly referred to as the Grapevine or Ridge Route in these parts) which can sometimes be closed due to snow and ice (there was an overnight ice advisory).  She informed me of the new cancellation policy and I told her that I was aware, which is why I called, to confirm the policy.  The associate offered to speak with the manager and then after, informed me that they would cancel with no penalty due to the weather condition and the fact that I was platinum and therefore assumed loyal customer.   My take is that while extending grace, she took care to explain that it was understood that they were specifically granting the waiver for the special circumstance, thus implying that it should not be expected by just anyone and for just any reason.

This doesn't add clarity to the written policy, but illustrates that grace continues to be an exercisable option at some properties.

jersey_girl Platinum 1 Reviews

I too have encountered great confusion and wish Marriott would clarify their policy to their reservation associates.  I had a reservation for tomorrow, which I needed to cancel, so I called today.  The reservation line for rewards members told me that I was a day late and needed to cancel yesterday in order to not be charged.  I explained that would be 2 days prior to the reservation.  He got very snippy and told me that I would still be charged.  good thing I decided to ask for the corporate customer service rep, I think he put me through to a supervisor.  They clearly understood the policy and told me that I could indeed cancel, up to 1159 pm on the day before the reservation.

I asked that Marriott please clarify their policy, as it was inaccurate information I was given. In fact, even though I am gold, I was annoyed enough to consider  dropping Marriott, and going to Hilton, who doesn't have such an absurb policy.

On the other hand, since I travel to DC often and the weather hasn't been good lately, I have had last minute (day of) cancellations, but I was able to state that the airlines were canceling flights and due to this I couldn't get to DC to honor my reservation.  I cant stand this new policy... I long for the days of old, when things were much simpler. 

theretiree Platinum

Actually, I'd like them to CHANGE their policy and go back to 6 PM the DAY OF.  Many faithful Marriott customers have complained about this policy and asked them to change back--thus far with zero accommodation from Marriott's Great Lords.  I've taken to noting this anti-customer policy on all my TripAdvisor reviews.  See how much power we have?? Only one hotel has acknowledged that feedback and promised to pass it along to Corporate.  I haven't noticed anybody on this Board jumping in to defend the policy aside from people saying other chains are worse.  How's that for a Marriott slogan:  "Marriott:  Some chains are even worse!":  or "Marriott: If you think we treat you bad, try the airlines."

jmanrunner Platinum

I will "jump in" and say the new policy doesn't affect me at all and I have been staying 150+ nights in hotels each year for the past two years due to a new job with lots of travel opportunities. If your company requires you to book early but expects you to cancel at the last minute then it is their problem and not yours.

When you book a room early and then cancel at the last minute you are keeping a room from me. It is aggravating to not be able to book a room because the hotel is sold out only to find out on the day of my intended arrival that a bunch of people cancelled and there is availability if I walk in after 6 pm. I do not enjoy sitting in the hotel lobby or client's office waiting around for you to decide you cannot make it. The new policy has an advantage for me now that I can know my hotel plans before I travel.

I think some of the people who do not like this new policy are trying to have it all. They book early to receive a discounted rate or avoid risk of a sold out hotel but their arrival is not really a guarantee. Pick your priority. If you live in a world where last minute cancellations are a real thing then you should not be booking a room until you know you are traveling for sure.

insidenji Gold 6 Reviews

I had a reservation for tomorrow, June 27th at the Gateway in Crystal City, Arlington VA.  The rate I originally booked was 144, I just checked the rate and it was down to 101 so I went to cancel original reservation and got a message that a cancellation rate MAY apply.  Huh?  I haven't had to cancel any reservations under the new policy so I was a little confused why this message would appear.  I called the Marriott Elite line to ask why message was appearing and she wasn't too sure.

I canceled it at around 10 AM on June 26th and re-booked it at the lower rate (another good example of re-checking rates because I just saved 86 dollars for a two night stay) but wouldn't it be nice if the message didn't appear until closer to midnight on the day before?

Does anyone else think this is a little confusing?

gitc Silver

I think in your example the pop-up is simply a reminder to check your cancellation terms. If, in fact, you were inside the period where you would incur a penalty, the reminder gives you a chance to review and change your mind rather than simply going through with the cancellation and finding  out the hard way. The key word is "may", not "will".

insidenji Gold 6 Reviews

Ah, gitc, you're right.  Thanks for pointing out the other side.  I guess it is nice to have a warning as someone might think about canceling and not really have to but then they see the warning and decide to keep the reservation.

The old cancellation policy was very clear and straight forward.  We had until 6pm the night of our stay to cancel.  Or 6pm one night prior or 6pm two nights prior, etc. for properties that had a greater than 24hr cancellation policy (1 day, 2 days, 3 days, etc.)  Pretty clear.  The new cancellation policy, "until one day prior" or "by June 27th" for a stay commencing on June 28th, is totally nebulous.  What does "by June 27th" mean?  By 12:01am June 27th?  Or by 6pm (as in the past) June 27th or by 11:59pm June 27th?  NOWHERE on the rates webpage, or a reservation confirmation webpage or email or in print does it clarify what "by such and such date" actually means.  I attempted to cancel a reservation at 9am the morning one day prior to a reservation, and the dreaded warning message popped up, stating something to the effect that a fee "may" apply.  Of course I wasn't going to risk it, so I hassled a call to the reservations line confirming that there would be no cancel fee, and then cancelled.  I should have written down the cancel#, but we were traveling and it was inconvenient.  i waited and waited for the cancel confirmation email, getting more and more nervous, but it didn't come.  I finally called reservations back and asked for the cancel# for insurance (the email did eventually come, albeit untimely.)

I also asked what "one day prior" meant.  She kindly stated that it used to mean midnight(?), but had recently been changed to noon one day prior to the reservation date, and to be mindful that it is noon in the time zone where the property is located.  I thanked her for this most useful and pertinent information.  Why, oh why can't Marriott post this on the reservations page or the reservation email confirmation or the printed reservation?  It would seem simple enough to me and save a lot of hassle, potential frustration and anger, as well as money spent on C/S associates having to perform functions that could be done online by the guest if only the cancellation terms were clearly stated.

((Yay, my post posted!)

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...