11 Replies Latest reply: Jan 15, 2015 9:50 PM by pingreeman RSS

Help!!! Rewards Account Went to Zero With No Rollovers!!

bdp1608 Gold
Currently Being Moderated

Good evening!

Hopefully, someone here can give me a bit of direction as it seems all of my status has been reset at the beginning of this year?

As of December 31, 2014 I was one night short of gaining Platinum status.  Now my account tells me I need 49 nights to renew Gold and 74 nights to achieve Platinum status.

Is there any way I can back and look at my status as of 12/31/14?  I am not sure exactly how many nights I rolled over from 2013 to 2014, but I do not think it would be in excess of 24.  Therefore, I should be entitled to some rollover nights for this year.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks for you help and direction.  Also, this is my 3rd year as a Marriott Rewards member and I have never been set back this far in my status.

Thanks again.

BP

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Help!!! Rewards Account Went to Zero With No Rollovers!!
    brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

OK, hopefully I'm not teaching Grandma to suck eggs here...

On 31 December 2014 your night count stood at 74 nights, 24 over Gold, 1 night short of Plat. Now Marriott has reset the nights for 2015 you have 1 night credited. I assume this has rolled over from 2014

In order to mathematically achieve this outcome you must have rolled over 23 nights from 2013 into 2014 and stayed/credited 51 nights in 2014. Since only actual nights stayed/credited in one year can roll forward to the next, only the excess over your 50 night Gold requirement roll over. In your case just 1. In other words, the nights that rolled over from 2013 don't roll forward to 2014. The idea of the scheme is to boost a memhers night total to enable that member to achieve the next level, so Silvers get to make Gold, Golds get to make Plat. Of course after that Marriott hopes you will make the effort to retain the status. To my mind your major error here was falling short of Plat by only one night. In these circumstances I would have made a cheap extra night to get my total to 75. You'd then get a year of Plat, and if you couldn't make the 75 nights to renew, no worries as whatever nights you made in 2015, due to Marriotts "soft landing" policy, you'd be "soft landed" to Gold for 2016

But of course the above assumes Marriott is correct and I can say from experience that Marriott isn't perfect and errors do occur. In my case in 2013 I was Gold and stayed 55 nights that year. 5 should have rolled forward to 2014, however on about 10 Jan 2014 I requested and was granted a "taste of" platinum which immediately promoted me to Plat. By the time Marriott carried out the year-end excersise in mid January I had no rollovers because at the time they calculated the rollovers I was Plat, and presumably therefore Plat on 31/12/13. That presumption was wrong. I should have had 5 rollover nights but it didn't bother me since I didn't need the rollovers for 2014 and they can't rollover to 2015!

Now you can actually check how many nights you stayed/credited at Marriott manually but only if you're fast, really fast. Sign into your account on marriott.com, go to "my account" and click on "activity" you'll then get a summary of activity on your account so far this month, go to the drop-down box and select 12 months, and it'll list all your activity during the past 12 months, including January 2014, then you can manually count up all the nights you've stayed from there. If like me you don't get any credits from card spending you can reduce the length of info by refining the search to stays only. If you've done more than 50 nights in that list then the balance will rollover. Call Marriott Rewards if you count more than 51 nights, don't forget to keep screenshots if there is an error, since some queries can take the Plat line a long time to resolve and your proof will evaporate later this month.

Hope this helps

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

d_stewart Platinum 2 Reviews

There is a basic flaw with rollover nights.

In my case, I rolled over 90 nights from 13-14.  So I started out showing 90 nights in Jan 14.  I stayed 116 nights during 2014, for a total of 206.  Now, I fully understand that nights can only be rolled over one year.

Basic math should be: 90 rollover +116 nights-15nights lost from rollover-75 for plat level=116 rollover for 2015.

This is not the case... Marriott dropped all 90 nights from 2014 and then subtracted 75 from 116 leaving me with 41 nights rollover this year.  They took out the plat night requirement twice!

My point is this.  Either rollover nights count towards next years status or they don't.  Now, since they proudly show you that the rollover nights count towards the next level on the bar that is displayed, why do they then take it away at the end of the year?

According to the current system, my account showed that I fully qualified for renewal of plat at the start of the 2014.  If I had not stayed a single night all year(2014) I would still renew as plat based on the 90 rollover nights.  Reality is different, I would have been stripped of all status in Marriott.

IS THIS CORRECT AND RIGHT?

Rollover nights either count towards status or they don't.

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

It's right. Think of it this way. the 90 nights you rolled over from 2013 are gone. So you take the number of nights stayed in 2014 and subtract the 75 you need to remain Platinum leaving you with your rollover nights. (116 - 75 = 41).

Another way to look at is is that you had 206 nights - 90 (now expired) rollover nights from 2013 - 75 needed to stay Platinum = 41 nights.

All the 90 rollover nights from last year did was guarantee you Platinum status until Feb 2016 (and added to your lifetime nights total). If you had stayed no nights in 2014, you still would have renewed for another year because of the rollovers but started 2015 with nothing (you can only rollover nights that were earned in the last calendar year).

For comparison here is how my year ended. Total 80 nights (29 of which rolled over from 2013). Subtract those out and I earned 51 nights in 2014 (not enough to stay Platinum, but with the rollover nights, I made it). Looking forward, the 29 nights are gone, so I taking my 51 nights and subtracting 75 would leave me with a negative balance. I begin 2015 with no rollover nights, but thanks to the ones from last year, I'm still Platinum. To renew in 2016, I'll need to earn 75 nights before the end of 2015.

The first thing to remember when calculating rollover nights is to drop any nights rolled from the previous year. Only from that point do you subtract the number needed to renew your current status.

Hope that helps.

sod123 Platinum

After reading all this I now understand how it works but I have to agree that it is a flawed system.  I can understand that if someone rolled over 80 nights from the year before that they would loose all 80 going into this year but for them to then also loosing 75 for platinum on top really makes the rollover mostly useless. 

In my case I had rolled over 65 nights from 2013 and had 15 nights earned from my Marriott credit card.  I had expected that meant I would be rolling over all of the nights I had actually stayed in 2014.  Instead I am currently at 2 nights for 2015.  Moving me from a certain platinum for next year to a maybe maybe not as I travel less then I used too. 

I am at over 650 nights lifetime with Marriott and while the platinum perks are not that much better then gold it is still frustrating to know that there is now a good chance I will be moving down to gold in 2016.  I really feel that they should think about subtracting your status nights first then pulling out any remaining roll over nights instead of doing it the other way around. 

Ok, we have some more examples now...

Bejacob - 80 nights last year - 29 Rollover and 51 Nights.  He gets to keep his Plat status because they credited him with 24 of his rollover nights to get him to 75.  No rollovers for this year.

Sod123 - 80 nights last year - 65 Rollover and 15 from Marriott card.  He gets to keep his Plat status because they credited him with 60 nights from his rollover.  Rollovers for this year is 2.

So again I ask for a Marriott Rep to answer this simple question.  If you credit others using rollover nights to retain or gain status, why do you not offer the same to everyone?  Why don't you able this fairly across the board?  One person doesn't get any credited, one gets 24 of his 29 rollovers credited and the last gets 60 nights credited with 2 rollovers.

It is only my loyalty to Marriott that earned my Plat Prem status.  I personally don't care what the rules are, I only ask that they be applied fairly across the board.

I still think you're missing something. All the calculations I see follow the same formula. Perhaps looking at the Marriott FAQ on rollover nights might help. Elite Rollover Nights FAQs Page

As far as I can see from the limited number of examples, the rules have been applied consistently and fairly.

sod123 Platinum

D_stewart.  Pretty sure I agree with you in that they need to subtract the 75 platinum for the next year before they remove the rollover nights so that there is some benefit to rollover for people who would hit the platinum status without it.

I do think they are consistent with the bad policy however.  I did not list my actual number of stays from last year in my earlier post along with my 65 rollovers and 15 credit card nights.  That is probably why my 2 nights this year looks odd.

Ok, since you have a hard time following my logic ...

In order to apply rollover nights fairly across the board Marriott needs to change the order that rollover nights and stays are used.  Currently it is stays and then rollover for status.  A more fair way of doing this would be to apply rollover nights first and then stays.  My basis for this is that Marriott posts rollover at the start of the year.  You then earn your status as you stay nights in the properties.  In Jan14 your profile showed 29 rollover nights as credit towards this years goal, as you stayed in a marriott, your status bar continued to rise.

I agree that rollovers should be for 1 year only.  I believe I have demonstrated quite clearly that the current method benefits those falling short of the next status while offering absolutely no benefit those that stay well above the required nights for plat. 

Ok, I think see what you are suggesting. I was just trying to explain how the current system work (flawed or not). Keep in mind that rollover nights have only been a part of the program for a few years. They end up being a great benefit for folks staying 11-49 nights (Silver elites who might never get to Gold and this way get a chance).

I'm not sure the system is all that far from what you propose. My 2014 began with 29 nights. I earned 15 more from my credit card in Feb (up to 44 for the year). After I hit 6 nights (sometime in March) I made Gold. So the rollover nights did apply first, then the stays (and I'll include CC nights). After that I had a Platinum challenge (which I completed in June). The rest of my paid nights (or CC earnings for each $3k spent) brought my total for the year to 80.

You are quite correct that falling just short of the next status would benefit a guest with more rollover nights (assuming no previous rollovers). I ended 2013 as a Silver with 39 total nights (subtract 10 and you come up with the 29 nights I rolled in 2014. That made it easy to reach Gold and then surpass the 75 nights threshold. That would have never happened without rollover nights.

It may not be the best system, but if you understand how it works, it can be advantageous. Just think, without rollover nights, we'd all begin at 0 and have to earn our status every year (that was the norm only a few years back). That some of us begin with even a few nights head start is something we should be pleased with (no matter what we think of how good or bad the formula is).

I'll have a tough time making it to 75 nights by year end, so in 2016, I'll either drop back to Gold or spend 40k points to "buy back" my Platinum status. I do know my options and will consider what to do when the time comes.

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

bejacob. That is absoloutely my understanding of the rollover calculation. Not for nothing are you our Insider of the Year

The rollover scheme commenced in 2009. Before that everyone started January on nil, no matter how many nights they had stayed the previous year. I do feel this thread is a bit like "leaving no good deed unpunished", though this may be because I remember the days before rollovers, and I saw its introduction as a very timely intervention that saved my Plat status that year.

pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews

It makes sense that rollover nights have to expire. If not, despite not have any paid nights in 2014 and only 23 in 2013, I would have 653 rollover nights to apply going forward in 2015 and beyond.

YearPaid & BonusKeep StatusRoll
    2009229-75154
    2010240-75165
    2011218-75143
    2012293-75218
    201373-75-2
    201450-75-25
    Totals1103-450653

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...