20 Replies Latest reply: Mar 29, 2015 10:56 PM by acclau RSS

Platinum Challenge

acclau Platinum 1 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Just called the Marriott Rewards today and got signed up for a Platinum Challenge.  Need to hit 18 room rights until end of April.

It is different from 9 stays usually found here, before that I send a message to Twitter@Marriott, they also told me 9 stays, so just wonder is the offers are difference from countries.

They told me it is better to hit the target after end Jan then the status will last until Jan 2017, very good deal.

By the way, 18 room nights is more easier for me, and my status is still GOLD until I make the challenge, so let's see.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Platinum Challenge
    ndn Platinum

Ritz gave me unofficially 9 stays as a target for platinum.I have 14 stays and 25 nights booked in the time anyway. My status was already gold. Interesting differences.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

mevangelisto Platinum

Do you have to call Marriott to get signed up for this (or other promotions)? I don't this listed online when I log into my rewards account. Are there more types of these unadvertised promotions that you need to call about?

Yes, I call direct to the awards customer service and ask for the promotions.   It was not stated anywhere on their web site.

I think you can call directly to ask, but anyhow I think they have some kind of criteria to tell yes or no.

LEE_IARS Platinum

I just called the service number in China, it's the same 18 nights. I guess it's changing year to year, it was 18 nights 2 years ago, and 9 stays last year, now it changed back to 18 nights.

7 Platinum 1 Reviews

Cool. I might have to do this as my Plat status should be expiring soon, but I have about 20 nights scheduled by the end of April.

will 40000pts buy back is more easier?  Just wonder can a challenge apply to someone already platinum?

mkchang Platinum

Every time I call they say that the challenge is only for one level up. Is that the same thing you were offered?

ndn Platinum

mkchang I did the Platinum challenge after getting automatic Gold from the Ritz card.

chris0311 Platinum

So if I understand correctly you got Platinum using the challenge after getting gold from the Ritz card?  So Platinum status for essentially staying around 18 nights? Excellent deal for you if so and congrats but it kind of cheapens Platinum for me.

ndn Platinum

I don't believe my situation cheapens it at all. I already have 31 nights on the year after tonight. I spend in highly expensive hotels. Being a platinum now is a big advantage for me and for Marriott. I will earn platinum this year multiple ways, but I just got it early is all.

chris0311 Platinum

As the saying goes "don't hate the player, hate the game". I always thought it was a straight forward, solid 75 nights needed to be Platinum. Now that I understand the system a little more it just wipes off some of the sheen a little. Obviously not in your case since you would have achieved it naturally anyway. It just kind of bugs me that there could be "18 night" Platinum Elites. That being said with my 29 nights already for the year, the Platinum challenge and I will be getting the Ritz CC soon all these should put me well into Platinum status this year. I've always been 10-15 nights short because I travel on personal vacations, not on business.

Message was edited by: Chris0311

ndn Platinum

Keep in mind that even if you get the Plat challenge and pass, the next year you will have to qualify properly or through Ritz spend--or repurchase Platinum with 40,000 points.

chris0311 Platinum

Thanks! The 40,000 points to keep platinum would be easy. Like you I stay at the expensive hotels and i'm also not shy about using room service or the hotel bars. Points come fast

chris0311 Platinum

I just got off the phone with Gold Customer Service and I was told 9 stays by the end of June. I guess it depends on the account which challenge you receive, They probably went with 9 stays because my account already has 29 days for the year. 18 nights would be a breeze for me in June. I take three week vacations every six months but 9 stays is more challenging. That is of course assuming I don't just check out and into a different hotel because Bangkok has a JW, Renaissance and Marriott Signature super close to each other....

ndn Platinum

The Plat challenges are all 9 stays right now in the USA. I have 31 nights after my current stay (though 15 are from credit card). I did accelerate my stays my checking into numerous hotels though. For example, last week I stayed in 3 different hotels in San Francisco over 4 nights. That completed the 9th stay. This week I had 2 stays in SF over 4 nights (but only because I had a flight cancelation). I have 3 more stays over 8 nights in 2 weeks here (because I have to break up the stays with a Fairmont stay).  It means lots of SF hotel reviews are coming!

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

I took the Platinum Challenge last year. In general, Marriott probably figures if you make 9 stays (or 18 nights) over roughly a 90 day period, you'll probably earn Platinum status anyway. This just gives you a head start. I did end up with enough nights that I would have gotten Platinum status the regular way, but by taking the challenge, I reached it about 6 months earlier.

nhtraveler Platinum 3 Reviews

Wow - Does this bring back memories. Quite a few years ago when I was a Silver Elite, I got a "Taste of Gold" promotion offer - As I recall it was an immediate upgrade to Gold for something like two or three months during which time I had to stay, if memory serves, about 20 nights in three months. It came at a really good time as Brenda and I were heading off to the Camelback Inn in Scottsdale for a week. I got to the registration desk, gave them my credit card and the Gold elite card and was told, "Thank you for being a Gold Elite member. We will upgrade your room." Well, let me tell you, I did everything I could to get those additional nights!

I wish you success in achieving your Platinum Challenge. I will tell you that the only problem is that now you will find every possible way to get up to that 75 nights per year in order to keep it. Happy travels, and I hope you enjoy spending money!

Oh, and by the way, I'm now only 51 nights away from Lifetime Platinum. I have over two million points earned - I just need those pesky nights.

ndn Platinum

I'll get to 75 nights.  I will also spend $75k a year on Ritz card. So that is double platinum.

chris0311 Platinum

By my calculations I will reach the 2 million points years before I reach 750 nights . I wonder if Marriott would consider a nights waiver if say you have 3-4 million points.

Finally I completed the challenge in two months, yes, I should able to get the Platinum status by the end of the year even did not join the challenge, just now I got it 9 months earlier and it will last until Jan 2017.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...