19 Replies Latest reply: Jun 25, 2015 9:29 AM by gattom RSS

Phone scam offering a free stay in Marriott 5 star hotel

dardarjg Member
Currently Being Moderated

Just wanted to mention that I just hung up the phone in which I received an automated voice message saying "Congratulations, your phone number has been randomly selected as the winner of a free 1-night stay at a 5 star Marriott Hotel.  For details, press "1" now."

I had only just been reading about these phone scams 5 minutes ago and that anyone who presses 1 is basically giving their phone number away to these scammers who can place long distance calls and also perpetuate the scam by using YOUR number to call other people.

Needless to say I simply hung up... This is the 2nd time this week I have received a call from scammers.. the other one was from "Winners International" in which I (supposedly) won 3 million dollars and a Mercedes Benz... This particular one happened to be a live human being on the phone so while he was yammering on in my ear I looked up Winners International online to see it was a scam and proceeded to then tell the guy on the phone exactly what I was reading online...  and "how much was he expecting me to send him using Western Union to claim my prize??"  Funny thing... he hung up on me...

Scam , scam, scam... best to follow the old rule "if it sounds too good to be true,then it probably is".

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Ontario
  • Re: Phone scam offering a free stay in Marriott 5 star hotel
    lindseyh Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Hi dardarjg, and welcome to Marriott Rewards Insiders! So glad to have you join our community! This forum is a great place to share travel stories, insights, experiences, and keep the community up-to-date with happenings, such as the one you bring up here! This is also a great places to ask questions regarding travel or the Marriott Rewards Program.You'll quickly find that the other Insiders are extremely helpful and know what they're talking about! You can also always reach out to myself, The specified item was not found., KatieC, or NathalieF with any questions or concerns you have. We make up the moderation team for this site and are always happy to help as well.

Here is our Getting Started Guide , which I recommend you check out for any helpful tips and insights as you get familiar with the site.

You bring up an issue that some other Insiders have been facing recently as well, and one that we've looked into resolving. Below is a link to a recent thread that includes instruction on what to do if you receive one of these calls. You'll find that we've identified the calls from a non-Marriott source, and recommend getting in touch with your local FCC.

Random Call from Marriott

Let me know if you have any questions. Thanks for posting!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

bryanlb Member

Lindseyth

I take it you are somebody to do with Marriott Hotels.  I recently stayed at the Downtown Calgary Hotel in Alberta, Canada.  Since then I have had numerous phone calls on both my cell phone and home phone offering a free night.  I recognized it as a scam and hung up.  It just seems strange to me that these hone calls only started after I stayed at the hotel.  I would suggest somebody with access to records is selling phone numbers.  The most recent ones have come from 011 40 30 83854, 011 40 330 84896 and 011 40 330 86245.

Other than that my stay was great.  One of the repair people went above and beyond duty when the ice machine didn't work and I didn't like the Pepsi products available in the pop machine.  Not only did he bring ice and Coke to my room but also must have paid for it out of his own pocket.  He refused my money and it was never posted to my room tab.

martinaoslov Member

I agree. If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. I got a call once about being picked in a drawing and that I won $1 million. All I needed to do was give them my bank info so they could deposit the money to my account. Lol! I hung up. Who would fall for such a trick?

Sledchick Platinum 9 Reviews

Elderly parents (like mine) fall for these tricks all the time.  Not being in their right minds (dementia) makes it hard for them to judge these things as huge scams like the rest of us would.  And they are on the do not call list!  I just tell them not to answer the phone anymore but that's impossible.  Thanks for sharing your experience, and welcome to Insiders, martinaoslov!

martinaoslov Member

I reported the phone number to Callercenter.com too, to raise a warning. I'm concerned that someone might fall victim to the scheme.

mtl_traveller Platinum

My husband got this 'Marriott 5 star offer' call yesterday on his cell phone. Since I'm a gold rewards member but he's not in the Marriott rewards, he looked puzzled at me, and I told him to hang up. I knew it couldn't have been Marriott, because I had gotten a very similar call from 'Hilton' a couple of months ago.

So what I would like to say is, these scammers are not targetting one brand in particular, there are several versions of the scam going around so be aware that it's not Marriott calling, nor Hilton, or some other hotel chain or cruise line (I had 'won' a free cruise also last year).

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Put all your phone numbers on the national and state no call list, then about every six months repeat the process.  We never get any call anymore after I included the state no call list as well.

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

Excellent info.

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

I put my phone number on the "do not call list" numerous times and still get soooo many of them.  Supposedly many come from outside the US and nothing can be done about them.  At least, so I have been told.

You should also put your numbers on the state do not call list and if you are able to go to your phone service provider and block those numbers.  Comcast is our home phone provider and I can add numbers that we want blocked if they happen to get through the no call list.

lilyofthevalley Member

I just received the same type of phone call. Offered me a free night's stay at a Marriott hotel. When I asked what they were doing calling me so late, they hung up. Found it extremely odd that I had just last week booked a stay at a Marriott Hotel.

daz Silver

I just signed up for Marriott Rewards and made my first-ever booking at a Marriott hotel.  Within a couple hours of completing my booking I have received two of these calls.  Numbers start with 011 and then my area code.  I'm questioning whether this was just a coincidence or something of greater concern.

retiredcopper Member

These are actually telemarketers calling from spoofed phone numbers.

I've had several of these calls on both my home and cellphone over the past couple of weeks. 

Their recorded message says I've been selected to receive a prize package from Marriott Hotels. 

I took the time to go along with it and listened to the sales pitch.  It ends up it's a company trying to sell vacation packages. 

I reported this to Marriott Hotels and was told they are aware and investigating this.

I actually called this EasyVac International company in Cancun to complain and spoke with a fellow identifying himself as Carlos Lopez.

He said he would try to put a stop to this misleading scam.

Their website actually is:

Easy vac international | Packages

Over the past week this telemarketing scam has changed to say you've now won a prize from the Hilton Resorts.

Given this originates in Cancun Mexico I don't believe there will be a way to stop this.

guidedog613 Platinum 6 Reviews

Phone calls to my cell phone, my wife's cell phone and our home phone...on average 3 a day.

77paris Platinum 17 Reviews

Either the National Do Not Call Registry works or we are just lucky - never get a telemarketing call on our cells and rarely on our home phone.

It is worth a try.  Of course, the "free stay" calls may have found a way around this with bogus information.

retiredcopper Member

I have had all my phones registered on the Do Not Call Registry since the day it started but unfortunately it does not deter these calls as they appear to be coming from a Spoofed phone number or private number which is not displayed.

By the telemarketers calling this way you cannot determine where these calls originate to file a complaint.

I believe most of the calls come over VOIP lines.

Folks the National and State DO NOT CALL Registry is only good for one year and must be renewed or you'll get all these calls.  Maybe it's just luck, but we have all our phones registered with National and State, seldom if ever get any of these type calls.

gattom Member

Since I am a Marriott Member and have been staying on Marriotts quite often I thought they were trying to be nice and rewarding me when they said they were from Marriott and accepted the offer. Does anyone know if there's a way to sue them and get the money back? I'm new to Canada and didn't think this would happen in the developed world... Any advice?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...