5 Replies Latest reply: Jan 11, 2015 3:20 PM by iahflyr RSS

AMEX Platinum Card Members Deal for Airline Fees

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Just got an email from AMEX that offers up to $200 credit for airline fees charged to your AMEX card.  This might only be for Platinum card holders, but for those of you who are it is worth getting all over it.

This is what airline fees they will credit you for and found it quite interesting you can even use it for club renewal as well:

Eligible incidental fees include:

• Checked baggage fees (including overweight/oversize)
  • Itinerary change fees
  • Phone reservation fees
  • Pet flight fees
  • Seat assignment fees
  • In-flight amenity fees (beverages, food, pillows/blankets, headphones)
  • In-flight entertainment fees (excluding wireless internet because it's not charged by the airline)
  • Airport lounge day passes & annual memberships

clebert I though of you when I got this just in case you are able to take advantage of it for your one way ticket issue.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: AMEX Platinum Card Members Deal for Airline Fees
    ne_traveling_man Platinum 8 Reviews

I have had this "perk" for several years now.  I typically use the full $200.  My issue with AMEX is that Platinum "perks" have diminished rather substantially over the years.  They granted access of several of the major airlines clubs and you could bring up to 2 guests with you for no charge.  The number of clubs has been reduced to basically their own club or Delta - and you have to pay a fee for any guests.

For what you pay each year for the "privilege" of the card, I have considered not renewing after 2015.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

I know United ended their AMEX relationship a few years ago which from what I was told on both sides was a UA decision.  I've had great perks with the card starting with no foreign transaction fees, reduced auto insurance rates (or so I'm told) and excellent customer services to name a few.  I just never took signed up for this offer before since most of my airline expenditures were refundable tickets and my Premier level I get free checked bags if I ever check them.

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

Thank you!

Jsucool76 Gold

Best use for this $200 yearly airline incidental credit is airline gift cards. Lots of info about that on FT.

And remember it is per calendar year. Especially with the 100k platinum offer going around, great time to get it.

Best time to apply, in my opinion though, is in december (except when there is a 100k offer, jump on that immediately ) because you can get $200 in airline gift cards in december, and then $200 in airline gift cards in january. Essentially negating most of your annual fee within the first month.

Then use those gift cards to pay for airfare, and boom

Ritz card also offers the same thing, but it is $300/calendar year instead of $200

Amex requires you to choose your airline for reimbursement before purchases are made, remember. Otherwise you'll be SOL. Reimbursements except in rare cases, are also done automatically, no need to call amex

Ritz lets you use any airline, but you need to call up or send a secure message to get reimbursement. Also a little finicky with gift cards.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...