21 Replies Latest reply: Apr 8, 2015 2:26 PM by ppino69 RSS

Why does the United RewardsPlus authentication take so long?

jlbarone3 Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Hello, I am newly Plat as of December. One of the biggest benefits I was looking forward to was Silver status on United via Rewards Plus. I don't fly UA often, but do have a flight booked 2/13. I signed up for RewardsPlus today to authenticate my Plat status and the message said I should check my UA account on 2/28 for confirmation.

That's 7 weeks away! And obviously after my flight. Why does this take so long? I suppose UA wants it to take affect on March 1, when most airlines recalibrate their rewards systems. This is very frustrating.

Has anyone had any luck in getting UA to process this faster? Was really hoping to have Silver for my flight mid-Feb. Thanks!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Why does the United RewardsPlus authentication take so long?
    bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

I don't recall that it took that long. I signed up for it last year (June?). It seemed that it went into effect almost immediately. I was able to take advantage of my Silver status on a flight in August. Not a lot of benefits, but I did get a free upgrade to Economy Plus.

I'd check back on a weekly basis. I would expect things to be updated well before your trip.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

It makes no sense why it would take that long since you earned the status in 2014 it should be good until February 28, 2016, when UA resets all MileagePlus accounts to the status the customer earned during 2015.

jlbarone3 Platinum

Well what do you know! I was upgraded to Silver by Saturday after registering on Thursday. That was fast! Guess I over reacted. The benefits I really want are the 25% bonus on miles and the option for free Econ+. Thanks all.

Great news and hope you get the Econ Plus upgrade, who knows you might even find yourself with a First Class upgrade if the stars align just right!!

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

Econ Plus is nice, although as a Silver you must wait until you check in to see if you are able to upgrade. Better than nothing. I'm still waiting for that First Class upgrade. Maybe in March.

john_thai Platinum 8 Reviews

As a UA 1K let me assure you that the odds of a Silver getting a First Class upgrade are about the same as the odds of Barack Obama voting for Mitt Romney.

But it has happened in the past.  Heck Monday on flight from IAH-RSW at least one Global Services did not get upgraded to FC or so it would seem as he was the only one to board prior to Group 1 and as I walked on right after him he was in coach.

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

Spouse and I both got first class upgrades on our last flight.  I am a silver only because of Marriott, and he has no status at all.  And we weren't even on the same reservation.  Gate agent saw our last name and figure out we were together, and she upgraded us both.  I've actually gotten a few upgrades in the last year here and there on routes in and out of ORD and in and out of MCO.

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

Any chance of us lowly Gold's getting anything out of the United partnership? No I know the answer is absolutely not, just thought I would stir the pot again.    Actually, UA has become one of my least favorite airlines anyway way behind AA, DL, and AS. I just couldn't not say something, its in my nature.

jakeal Gold 15 Reviews

The specified item was not found., KatieC, lindseyh, and NathalieF:

My United Mileage Plus Account is reading that my Premier Silver Status expires January 31, 2015.  If Marriott does not update account until February I will be without Rewards Plus benefits from January 31 - whenever in February Marriott confirms with United that I am eligible to continue receiving benefits via Rewards Plus.

Any assistance you can provide here? 

Thanks!

jakeal Gold 15 Reviews

The specified item was not found., KatieC, lindseyh, and NathalieF:

Any insight or assistance you can provide regarding my above comment?

Thanks!

lindseyh Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Hi jakeal, sorry for the delay on this one! The renewed United status should have begun on Feb. 1, after the old one expired on Jan. 31. If there's seems to be lag with this transition, let me know and I can get a phone number for you to call and sort it out.

suzysharp Platinum

Lindsey-

If you could possibly get me the number I would really appreciate it as my United status still hasn't gone through and I'm being given a run around...

Here is what another thread had for the UA/Marriott number:

Rewards Plus Desk which is 1-866-316-6173.  The agent I spoke with at the Rewards Plus Desk explained to me there was a system glitch and a large number of Marriott's Platinum Elite Members accidentally fell to General Membership.  She was able to update my account immediately and I'm back to Premier Silver Status.

suzysharp Platinum

Thanks IAHFLYR! I just called the number...I have to say the person was not the friendliest but she did say it would be fixed in 3-5 days...so I guess I'll have to wait and see. Thanks for your help! I will say I was impressed that someone answered the phone immediately...no automated system.

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

I, too, called this number.  They fixed my status immediately and were super pleasant about it. 

acclau Platinum 1 Reviews

I just did registered once then and the UA premier silver status reflected on my UA Milage Plus two days after.

ppino69 Platinum 1 Reviews

My upgrade to United Silver was done in about 2 days..I enjoy the free Economy Plus Upgrades with extra legroom as well.. and the Free Checked bag..I was also Upgraded to First Class with my Silver United Status recently once from PHL to ORD and once from ORD to ATL..Its a nice benefit..Thanks United & Marriott.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...