5 Replies Latest reply: Jan 12, 2015 11:37 AM by jerryl RSS

Lifetime Status Suggestion

rwars10230 Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Good Morning,

I browsed through and looked for a discussion on this and did not find one.  Numerous threads have popped up over the years around what Marriott could do when people hit lifetime milestones.  How about corresponding lifetime status in the frequent flyer program of the members choice.  Marriott could offer reciprocal benefits to the airlines as well.  Even outside of the exclusive with United.  Maybe that does not work for every member like myself.  Just a though on how lifetime travel perks could carry over from the gate to the hotel.  That would be a great perk for all of us who have lived on the road for so long.  Let us all, especially Marriott know your thoughts.

Thanks!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Lifetime Status Suggestion
    iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

I am one who believes any status should be earned and I don't mean from credit card spending, but from actually having your butt in the seat/bed to earn points for elite status.  Having been a former road warrior it really irks me to see folks who rarely set foot on a specific airline or hotel property be given some of the same perks as those who spend the nights away from home or hours on airplanes each week. 

In my opinion it is wrong when John Smith has spent a specific number of dollars on his airline credit card buying groceries or an LED TV so now he gets the same elite status as Jane Doe who has flown enough miles/segments and money spent on airline tickets   Now Smith buys his one ticket a year on that airline and gets the First Class upgrade seat just because he bought those things on the airline credit card and was given the upgrade seat that might have been awarded to her for her loyalty should not be allowed.

When you get to the over crowded Concierge Lounge do you ever think of just how many of these people are in here because they are taking advantage of the UA offer and rarely if ever have stayed at a Marriott property?  Now they are taking away from my ability to enjoy a light snack and drink before dinner in a nice quiet atmosphere.

Giving reciprocal benefits simply because puts a sour taste in my mouth, sorry!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

rwars10230 Platinum

I don't disagree with your logic.  I made this as a Lifetime Status perk as opposed to an annualized one and you could only choose one airline.  I have yet to ever use my United status as I fly Delta exclusively.  Just a thought on a nice way to reward the folks that have added a long time value to a business.

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Lifetime or annual to me it doesn't matter, and it might only be me (rabble rouser that I am) that thinks this way.

As a Liftetime Platinum with Marriott and Lifetime Gold with United I earned those by accomplishing the number of nights in Marriott properties and dollars spent.  United was a carry over from Continental which I spent more than a million miles on their airplanes thus Lifetime Gold unless I obtain a higher Premier Status for a year which then reverts back to Premier Gold if I don't maintain that level such as Platinum or higher.

The above are most likely where my opinion is coming from other than the rabble rouser status!!

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

we have two subjects here one how to honor lifetime and second how to get to lifetime. I agree with you that airlines and hotels have used the top perks to get people to use their credit cards but it would be nice to track the butts in beds and seats differently

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Sorry, rwars10230, I'm afraid I disagree for 2 reasons:

1. Earned... I've stayed in Marriott hotels, hundreds of butt-in-bed nights, outside North America that's the only way to earn status. It's a loyalty scheme that engenders my loyalty to stay at Marriott's. Overcrowded lounges and lack of upgrades caused by non-members who just happen to have spent a lot of time sat in a certain airline seat would significantly dilute my earned benefits. And if staying at Marriott 750 nights then gives me memebrship of the airline scheme of my choice, I will then be diluting another loyal customers access to the very benefits they've earned through their loyalty to an individual airline. I fly Squeezyjet, Monarch, Jet2, RyanScare, anything-dirt-cheap-air. I have no loyalty to airlines, I pay them a pittance and they give me a cramped seat. Job done.

2. Practicalities... hotel and airline groups are forever amalgamating, taking-over, consolidating etc. Some kind of lifetime scheme given to a customer of a hotel group that no longer exists in an airline that was taken over years ago.... Remember this is lifetime!

As for what Marriott does, well in lifetime I think it's excellent. Demonstrate very long term loyalty and Marriott gives you long term loyalty back redeemed every time I stay with them, for the rest of my life. It's right and it's the right thing to do.

Be under no illusion here, the Marriott Rewards program has its issues, lack of premium room upgrades on award stays, lack of benefits at resorts, withdrawal of BOGO's, lack of alcohol in North American lounges, dull bonus promos. I'm no corporate apologist, but on Lifetime I think Marriott has got it dead on

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...