20 Replies Latest reply: Apr 20, 2016 11:13 AM by samosa RSS

Credit Card Double Dip

ndn Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I know that the Marriott credit card offers 15 elite nights a year, but so does the Marriott Business credit card. I was wondering if a person can do BOTH of them to get 30 elite nights a year automatically granted total? According to the terms and conditions, a card member cannot hold two Chase cards for the same rewards program. This is why you CAN hold the Ritz and Marriott credit cards by technicality. But what about two Marriott (and even the Ritz, too)?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Credit Card Double Dip
    Jsucool76 Gold

lindseyh Posted this a while back. I'm not sure if is still the way it works. But from the way I understand this it means they DO stack, though correct me if I'm wrong lindsey.

"The earnings from cards are a bit different, depending on which ones you have. Here are the break-downs of each:

·         Premier Business card and Premier consumer card= 30 Elite nights total

·         Premier Business card and standard consumer card= 25 Elite nights total

·         Standard Business card and Premier consumer card= 15 Elite nights

·         Standard Business card and Standard consumer card= 10 Elite nights

And yes! These Elite nights are counted towards the 50 Elite nights needed to earn or maintain your Gold status."

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

ndn Platinum

I read someplace else that Chase will only credit 15 elite nights per person though, so I am not sure. If that is the case, then it because interesting to get platinum status. Right now, I am doing a platinum challenge to obtain it fast, but I plan on spending $75k on the Ritz card per year to get platinum status. However, if I were to get the premier business and consumer cards, that would give me 30 nights. At $75k spend, I would get another 30 nights. Getting a mere 15 nights on top of that the natural way would qualify me for platinum status--in addition to giving me the 75 elite nights a year towards lifetime status, which is better than the Ritz card.

Jsucool76 Gold

I read the same on either FT or MyFico.

And remember, the 75k spend would need to go on the marriott card, and it would grant 25 nights per year. Then you would be @ 55 and you'd need 20 more natural nights to get to platinum.

Or spend $75k a year on the ritz card and get instant platinum and only get your ACTUAL stayed nights added to lifetime status.

ndn Platinum

Ah yes. Hard to do math with a 3-year-old going potty 20 times in a night. Yes, 15 nights for personal, 15 nights for business, 25 for spend, and I easily stay 20+ nights in marriott the natural way. I will have 20 nights this year by the middle of april--though this is a heavy year. I would say I stay 20 nights a year is about normal for me at marriott and 10 at SPG.  But that would mean normally I would get 20 nights a year and platinum vs 75 nights a year and platinum. I could just get the business card only and spend on the Ritz card. I suppose you cant get two business cards, right?  ...One each for different businesses?     

ndn Platinum

Here is the discussion that troubles me from Limited Time: 70,000 Points and 1 Free Night With Chase Marriott Rewards Premier Business Card | Million Mile Secrets:

Trevor

I have received the signup bonus on the Marriott Premier Personal (70k), Marriott Business (30k), and the new Marriott Premier Business (70k) all within two years. YMMV. Also, Marriott will only honor elite night credits from one of your credit cards, so you will only have 15 elite night credits from your cards even if you have both the personal and business versions. They will give you a free night credit on your birthday though! =)

lindseyh Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Hey Jsucool76 and ndn.  I checked with the team and the breakdown you've provided here is spot on. Let me know if I can help answer any other questions.

ndn Platinum

So does that mean we card stack the elite nights from the business and personal versions of the credit card to get 30 a year or that we can only get 15 nights maximum.

Hi everyone!

Apologize for the delayed response. Let me confirm all of this for you, and I'll follow up with any necessary clarification.

doddsy69 Platinum 8 Reviews

Your lucky  the uk marriott cc only offer s 10  elite nights credit

Jsucool76 Gold

Screenshot_2015-01-10-15-16-48.png

Edit: Figured I should add in what my exact question was:

" If I were to get both the marriott premier personal and marriott premier business card, would I then get 30 elite night credits?"

ndn Platinum

Really can't be much more official than that. Nothing there about having the Business Marriott Premier card and the Personal Ritz-Carlton Card.

henrythefourth Silver 2 Reviews

I understand that you will only get 15 nights per year by having both the personal and the business cards, but will they both earn nights based on spend?  Suppose I spend $6K on my personal card and $12K on my business card over the year, will I earn 6 nights on the same rewards number or will it only apply nights from one card?

@henrythefourth

CariJ Marriott Associate Member

Hey henrythefourth, I've passed your inquiry on to our team to gain clarity. I'll get back to you once I have more info.

Jsucool76 Gold

If both cards offer 1 night /3k spend then you should get all nights earned through spend, as they're earned, not a free handout from having the card.

curiousone Platinum

I have both the personal and business cards. They are both linked to my personal MR account. Every $3K of spend on either card goes to my MR account. I just wish they would stack the 15 nights towards Elite status from by business card to my 15 nights on my personal card.

Hi henrythefourth! CariJ and team looked into this, and it looks like you would still only have 15 nights. A Premier business card and a regular Premier account are needed in order to get 15 elite nights per card. However, elite nights for $300 spend give you one elite night, no matter how many cards or what type they are.

15 elite nights come each year on your anniversary, and only 15 nights total are available for a regular business card and a Premier card.

Please let our team know if you have any more questions! Thanks!

sailorsj Gold

Did I parse your last reply correctly?

"A Premier business card and a regular Premier account are needed in order to get 15 elite nights per card."

It sounds like you were saying that you can "double dip" in that situation...

Can you explain that further? Does "regular Premier account" mean "personal Premier Rewards card"?

Thanks,

Jeff

coupons Gold

With the Premier card you get 15 elite nites; for every $3000- spent you get an additional nite; you also get an elite nite for your b-day; I do not believe that if you have a regular Marriott cc that you can combine elite nites with those from the Premier card; each stand on there own; perhaps someone who know more can help

samosa Platinum

I too would like this clarified.

TravellerRAJ Silver

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...