14 Replies Latest reply: Aug 20, 2015 9:03 AM by nacho Branched from an earlier discussion. RSS

One MegaBonus For All - A Suggestion

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I still insist that there are too many different MegaBonus offers. Even if promo certificates are dead , why can't there be a single offer? As I mentioned on a previous thread (Re: MegaBonus - Promo Certs or Points?) , it could be structured to encourage more nights.

Modifying what I first recommended, I suggest a single MegaBonus designed as follows

Earn up to 50,000 rewards points.

Stay  5 nights,  earn  5,000 points

Stay 10 nights, earn 10,000 points (marginal value 1000/night)

Stay 15 nights, earn 17,000 points (marginal value 1400/night)

Stay 20 nights, earn 25,000 points (marginal value 1600/night)

Stay 25 nights, earn 35,000 points (marginal value 2000/night)

Stay 30 nights, earn 50,000 points (marginal value 3000/night)

(Again, just possible levels based on previous offers)

There would never again be a need to call to change your MegaBonus since this would be the only one.

Infrequent travelers might still be able to earn some points while road warriors would earn the highest bonuses. No more trying to compare which offer would yield the most points.

With the 5 night thresholds, someone with 18 nights might be encouraged to stay 2 more nights to gain the additional bonus points.

With the Spring MegaBonus just announced, it's time to revive this thread to solicit additional discussion. What say you, Insiders?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: One MegaBonus For All - A Suggestion
    mrf Gold 1 Reviews

PLease bring back the certificates!  I'm in the process of booking my vacations and there is nothing enticing me to restrict my searches to only Marriott properties. The certificates encouraged me to book extra vacations or long weekends.

LAst last year I took 4 less weekend trips due to the lack of certificates. My husband was happy to stay home, I was not. I missed having those little getaways. 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

shakennotstirred Gold 4 Reviews

Great idea to simplify this exercise!  I especially like the choose-your-own-destiny aspect.  Certs vs. points is a fantastic idea, but the choice is they key.  From the point of view of the masses, there is no better way to feel some control than to have a choice along with your mandate.  From the point of view of management, there is less room for grumbling if self-chosen routes of prosperity are not fully achieved.  A fair, win-win calculation and everyone skips on down the road together on the road to Megabonus.

erc Platinum

Here's the wiki over on FlyerTalk that hightlights MegaBonus Maximum Offers through the years

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-ritz-carlton-rewards/1289781-historical-megabonus-maximum-offers-4.html

As we can see, they have altered the bonus payouts over time, and we're certainly aware of how they have changed the lowest offers as well, so they do adjust the MegaBonus from time to time.

However, when you use the Search function of Insiders, you can actually find similar comments and suggestions as yours from five years ago on, virtually for each MegaBonus. Apparently the logic of the suggested revision seeking more effective mutual impact is not related to the degree of (lack of) change.

Platinum premier remains shrouded in mystery deep in the bowels of The Greater Team's think tank, but then Marriott just recently had (finally) a posting of lifetime points - so who knows, change may come about - of course the risk is that the change doesn't follow any of the suggestions.

You're probably right, erc. Whatever changes come about don't seem to be the result of suggestions from this forum.  I'll keep trying, despite my slim chance at success. I'd like to think that good ideas (regardless of the source) will at least be given a modicum of consideration. Perhaps that is just wishful thinking on my part.

erc Platinum

The way most of these hotel chains move lock step with each other when it comes to offering/altering benefits, perhaps a new strategy for 2015 would be to try to convince other Loyalty Programs to change . Only said half in jest, because the big boys rule the roost, it's their world (currently), and we just stay in it. That's my travel goal, to outlive the current environment and be there when they actually need my business, again .

Hyatt ups the ante with free wi-fi to all (Marriott, next year requires Rewards membership).

Hyatt to Launch Free Wi-Fi Access Worldwide

erc Platinum

Gremlins have taken over Insiders. This thread is at least a week old. Also notice how all of us posted at the exact same time. 2:18 pm !

Twilight Zone Opening THEME MUSIC 1962 Rod Serling - YouTube

be - this stuff seems to happen to you a lot (your How to Celebrate spin off, taking pluto's pictures with it)

what are you doing up there in the Buckeye State - celebrating your Alabama victory a bit too much - eh?

No gremlins, that was me messing with stuff. I branched this discussion off of the earlier one so I could link to it in another post.

It is nice to see that you're paying close attention.

tommo781 Gold 8 Reviews

I missed this subject when it was originally suggested in October bejacob.  I think your suggestion is a great idea.  Just one thing.  Can you explain to a non accountant such as myself what the marginal values mean?  I am sure I am missing something obvious, and will kick myself when you tell me.

Sure thing, Tommo781.

Essentially what I am suggesting is that the more more nights a guest stays, the more bonus points he or she earns.

If you look at what I propose for earning as you move from 20 to 25 nights, the extra points amount to 10,000 (going from 25k to 35k). Averaged over the 5 additional nights, each night would effectively worth an extra 2000 points (the marginal value).

I have no idea if a system like the one I have suggested would be practical from a marketing standpoint, but it would be much simpler than that complicated mess we have now. For bonuses that are not achievable, we don't even try. The other alternative it to call and request a change. Not everyone will do that. So what can be done to make things better?

Admittedly, the levels I mentioned would be less beneficial to travelers like me who stay fewer than 20 nights during a bonus period, so depending on the specifics of the existing bonuses, I would be worse off. For me the best current offer seems to be the 2500 points per stay after the 2nd stay. I could earn 25k that way instead of perhaps as many as 17k using the above system.

This is just an illustration of what might be done. These numbers are one possibility. Perhaps things could be simplified in other ways. How about two different bonus offers, one that is geared toward those of us who stay less than 10-15 nights and another one for the road warriors. It would sure beat the 4 or 5 offers out there now. Bringing back the promo certs would be nice. What else?

I still maintain that if the current scheme of multiple offers continues, the best approach would be to let us choose which one is best for us based on our travel plans.

tommo781 Gold 8 Reviews

I knew I was being stupid!!!  Thanks for the explanation bejacob.  It makes perfect sense now.  I agree, let us choose which offer is best, though for me I would always choose points such as your suggestion.  But we all have different views based on the amount of travel we do for business, personal, or a mixture of both.

erc Platinum

Ride Don, Ride

http://www.christianmchoi.com/uploads/1/5/0/1/15011496/2548274_orig.jpg

Your pal, Sancho

I keep trying. I suppose one day I'll give up, but by then I'll be lifetime Platinum and probably won't care any more.

702rugbyref Platinum

YUP!!! Much like this idea! It would encourage folks to stay more, set loftier goals/objectives and at the same time don't make them feel they have to over achieve in order to receive a bonus.

nacho Platinum 2 Reviews

I really hate the "targeted" offer - now with all the blogger/forums, there is no more secret what others get. The most annoying thing is that when I call MR to have the offer changed, they said you can't take this and that - wow that's crazy, you get nothing as a Plat?

Also please please please please please bring back the certs - they were the only factor that we "created" unnecessary stays at Marriott!