20 Replies Latest reply: Jun 10, 2015 2:14 PM by brightlybob RSS

No Rollover Nights For You?!!!!!

visyak Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Having spent thousands to host awake for my mother-in-law in a Marriott Facility, my Rewards account was credited 20 nights for the event in 2013.  I didn't quite make the Platinum level, but was happy when the extra nights 'rolled over' to 2014 night credits.  My 2014 stay level was again in the 60's range. Now, I come to find out that any nights stayed beyond the 50 night 'Gold' level will be lost and not rolled over to 2015.  THE GOAL POSTS HAVE MOVED AGAIN! 

I fully expected to benefit from the extra stays in 2014.  Had I known then, what I know now, I would have used point balances to book Marriott rooms.  This NEGATIVE INCENTIVE to stay beyond the 50 night Gold or 75 night Platinum threshold level hurts Rewards Members and the program in general.

Next year if I reach a elite Gold/Platinum status, I'll be sure to stop booking through Marriott and save money through Priceline, Hotels.com or any of the other options that offer the same rooms at a discount.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: No Rollover Nights For You?!!!!!
    pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Hi Visyak,

You stated that your 2014 total nights was in the 60's range.  Is that correct?  If so, how many of those nights were rollover nights from 2013?  Rollover nights can only be rolled over once.  So let's say you have a total of 69 nights from 2014 of which 19 were rollover nights from 2013 and the remainder of your nights were from paid stays, events, promotional or credit card earned in 2014.  To find out how many (if any at all) nights from 2014 will rollover into 2015, you must subtract your 2013 rollover nights from your 2014 total.  So in my example it would look like:

Total 2014 nights:                                       69

Minus 2013 nights rolled over into 2014:  -19

Difference:                                                  50

If the difference is over 50 (threshold for gold), then any nights over 50 will rollover to 2015.  If the difference is 50 or less, then no nights rollover.  Rollover nights can only rollover once.  There have been no recent changes to this policy that I am aware of.

Another thing to be aware of is this... If you are gold and you don't earn the 50 nights to retain gold (say you only earn 39 nights) and you bump back down to silver, which has a threshold of 10 nights, the extra 29 nights (the difference between the silver 10 night threshold and the number of nights you earned in excess of that) do not rollover.  Rollover nights are only granted when you stay within the same elite level (or go up one elite level) from one year to the next.

I too was disappointed when I first came to this realization.  Sorry you won't get the rollover nights this time, but I hope this helps for future strategizing.  Knowledge is power.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

IT is nice that marriott continues to do roll overs at all

visyak Platinum

What good is Silver?

visyak Platinum

What good is Silver?

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Not much! In reality it's the giveaway level, you can get it for holding the credit card. Whilst the list of benefits is long they're all really salesman patter, the only real benefit of silver is the 20% extra points.

bobber Gold

The way Marriot is doing this math is awful fuzzy.  You earn the rollover nights at the start of 2014, but they essentially become the last thing applied when they determine your status for 2015.

My example and how the agent explained it to me:

2013 Rollover :39 nights

2014 Bonus : 1 nights

2014 Nights stayed 27 nights

Now I started earning the Gold level perks only 10 nights into 2014.  But this is the math the agent explained for what happened at the end of 2014:

Total Nights : 67

minus 50 nights to renew Gold status

minus 39 2013 rollover nights

Result is negative which means no rollover.

The only way to earn a rollover after earning a rollover the previous year is to exceed your rollover nights in new nights plus the level of renewal.  In my example there is no way possible to have rollover nights into 2015 and only be Gold status.  I would need to earn 40 nights of stay, but that would have earned me Platinum at 80 nights, and then the math becomes

Total: 80 nights

minus 75 nights for Platinum

minus 39 2013 rollover nights

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Bobber, regardless of how she explained it, she is correct that you will not receive any rollover nights for 2015.

In your case:

Total nights at the end of 2014: 67         (Yay, you qualified for Gold again next year thanks to 2013 roll

Minus 2013 Rollover nights:     -39           over nights even though you actually only earned 28 nights in

Difference:                                 28           2014.)

Since the difference is less than 50, you roll over no nights into 2015.  This makes sense, because you can only roll over nights once.  So for the purposes of determining number of rollover nights that will pour into the next year, you would have to earn (in your case being gold) in excess of 50 nights in 2014 not counting rollover nights from 2013.  Any nights earned in 2014 in excess of 50 would rollover to 2015.

When determining rollover nights for the following year (2015), you have to throw out the roll over nights for the previous year (2013), because they can only count as roll over nights once.

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

pluto77 gives a great explanation on rollover nights and their expiration after a year.

Don't forget that you will be given the chance to "buy back" your status if you would otherwise be be dropped from Gold to Silver for not having enough nights. It will cost 25k points, but I think it's a good investment. The last time I had that opportunity, I passed on it, but later wished I hadn't. A lot depends on how much you expect to visit places with lounge access or if the other perks of being Gold versus Silver are worth spending the points. For me, they would have been.

lindseyh Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Hi visyak, sorry to hear this. That sounds frustrating! As bejacob mentions, you do have an option to "buy back" your status. You can request the challenge via email or phone, or you may be offered to participate in the challenge by email. Let me know if you have any questions about this!

tommo781 Gold 8 Reviews

Sadly for some, rules are rules.  I guess we all gain sometimes and lose other times.

doddsy69 Platinum 8 Reviews

Poor  show if true I've stayed 87 so that's 12 rollovers I'm losing out on then ?

If you've stayed 87 nights in 2014 then 12 will rollover. If however you only stayed 75 nights, the other 12 being rollovers from 2013, then you'll have no rollovers. If you stayed only 47 nights in 2014 and the other 40 nights came from 2013 rollovers then the good news is you retain plat even though you didn't make enough nights for gold. That's the beauty and the point of rollovers, to help those with spotty hotel years retain status by carrying the totals of a good year forward to help retain status if the next years travel is poor.

I remember the days before rollovers which commenced in response to the financial crisis in 2009. Before then everyone's nights reset to nil in January no matter how many nights were stayed the previous year. To my mind it's a good benefit which has enabled me to save Plat twice.

doddsy69 Platinum 8 Reviews

thanks bob my nights have now  reset but just show 6 rollovernights for some strange reason

If your total nights stayed were 87 for the year, then you'd have 12 rollovers. I strongly suspect however that you began 2014 with 6 rollover nights from 2013.

When calculating the rollover for 2015 Marriott first deducts the 75 night requirement leaving you with 12 and then any rollover nights from the last year, in this case 6 which leaves you with 6 nights left to rollover to 2015.

crashrit Platinum 1 Reviews

I'm having the same issues, website still says my days from last year.. App says 0 (didn't roll over any days - i'm in between gold and platinum for 2014)

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

Not sure exactly what's up, but it's possible they're cycling through the 2015 re-setting process, and we're not seeing the final status yet...  The other day, I could have sworn I had 40+ rollover nights, and now they're gone...

Granted, I'm not sure that rollover nights do me any good anymore - once you're Lifetime Platinum, I'm not sure why it's worth keeping track of annual nights....  Nonetheless, it was a little weird to see them disappear....

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

I was zeroed out too.  I should have had some rollovers but they don't show.  Usually this doesn't happen till Mar 1.  Not sure what happened.

travfood Platinum

My nights say 94 for now, even though I have only stayed 5 nights (already? It is starting early)  The rollover seems to be working for me although I can't say I know how many I should have for the year.  I was over 175 nights, with about 40 from the prior year.  I guess it doesn't matter.  I made Lifetime Platinum 2 years ago; I still don't like it that they watered down the requirements to get it.

tishers Platinum

I think I understand the rollover system now.

I started 2015 with 17 rollover nights.

Presently I am at 92 nights (as of June) and I am platinum

If I stopped earning nights right now I would roll-over 0 nights in to next year as the +17 above 75 nights would balance out the -17 from the rollover last year.

At the pace I am staying (4-5 nights a week through the end of the year) I will pick up another 100-125 nights before the year is out.

I will end the year with a balance right around 192 to 217 nights. Minus the 17 nights I will be able to roll over 100-125 nights in to 2016 (automatic platinum).

Because those rollover points would be from 2015 and rolling in to 2016 they are only good for that year.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...