29 Replies Latest reply: Oct 1, 2016 5:04 PM by chris0311 RSS

Platinum gift compensation

doddsy69 Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

currently  on a  7 day stay at Coral Springs marriott the check in was a joke no platinum welcome no arrival gift and no breakfast vouchers for days the lounge is closed  what's the deal here for claiming 100 usd compensation for non arrival gift

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Coral Springs, Florida, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Fort Lauderdale Marriott Coral Springs Hotel, Golf Club & Convention Center
  • Re: Platinum gift compensation
    brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

You must claim it before you checkout, however on a weeks stay you can bet if you try at checkout there'll be an outright refusal. The best bet is to claim ASAP and be prepared to argue as hotel is likely to say, oh, we credited the 500 points...

As for breakfast vouchers, some hotels don't do that, you just turn up at the restaurant and they comp the breakfast. Raise it when you discuss the lack of the Plat arrival gift, it helps to prove a lack of plat recognition indicating a failure to provide the gift too.

Good luck!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Jsucool76 Gold

I will never understand how all these hotels can get away with stuff like this. Imagine how this is for the people who don't check on stuff like this and just assume the hotel is honest and does what they're supposed to. It's upsetting. lol

On a lighter note - Welcome to South Florida. We actually got some pretty good restaurants in the area. Definitely check out La Spada's in coral springs, and boon's asian bistro in Boca if you get the chance.

skiadcock Platinum 4 Reviews

In fairness to "all the hotels" (ie, don't generalize),  the OP's experience could be to hotel policy or just a clueless front desk clerk who might be new.

're this particular property, when the lounge is closed they offer a full breakfast on the restaurant.

MASTER THREAD: Domestic & International Executive Lounges Open/Closed on Weekends - FlyerTalk Forums

're the lack of platinum arrival gift to the OP, the time to invoke it is before checkout. If they offer it when it's brought up at time of complaint the OP is not required to accept it bit can insist on the payout.

Cheers

Tried telling the girl who checked me in an hr  after check in and she made up a story about checking in on weekends you don't qualify for anything I'm checking out tomoro so should be fun

Whatever you do, don't leave the hotel without sorting this out. The FD clerk was wrong, the plat gift is a 7/day week GUARANTEED amenity.

I'd suggest calling the Plat line now and explain what happened, have the plat line agree that's wrong and get a name and return phone number. When you go to checkout tomorrow, if they still refuse insist on speaking to the manager and if the manager repeats that sorry line, have them call the plat line to clarify.

I have to say, thumbs down to Coral Springs Marriott for making this so difficult and having poorly trained staff on the front desk...

Far East Man Platinum 1 Reviews

I have always been able to chase down the 500 points but it requires me being Marriott's customer service department.

Only one time did a hotel agree to the $100 compensation.

Every other time, I get a canned email response about why the points were not systematically added and then they add them.

This happens to me at least one out of 4 stays and at times more often.

You don't get $100 if you chose points & they weren't added/you have to chase them down afterwards. 

You only get the $100 (or $50 or $25 depending on brand) if you weren't offered the choice between 500pts or $10FB coupon (domestic) or 500pts or food/beverage amenity (intl - and on the int'l end, if you choose food/drink & it doesn't get delivered).

Chasing the 500pts down is a pain; the only good news is cust svc is so used to having to add them post-stay that they don't argue/it takes a couple minute phone call to get them added.

Cheers.

Agree with brightlybob.  Obviously the gal has no clue & is making things up.  Just ask for the manager on duty or GM to get it sorted.  If you can also bring up the T&Cs on a device or printout to show them, it should help.  Otherwise, call the Plat line (isn't cust svc closed on the weekends though?) & get them involved.

And don't forget you are entitled to breakfast or 750 points (not to be confused w/ the PAG) on the weekend.

Also have to say thumbs down to the property for making this so difficult. 

Cheers.

markit8 Platinum 2 Reviews

The Coral Springs Marriott has never been a flagship Marriott property.   In  my experience.

they dug there heels in about the pag not being offered on the weekend and tried to say they had given me breakfast vouchers felt a bit bad for the girl as it was the same girl who checked me in but when tue manager came he comped me 30000 points and apologised so happy with the outcome but feel sorry for the front desk girl

I would be very happy with 30k points which I redeem at around $300. Reckon it's a good outcome, pity it took so much tub thumping to get to.

erc Platinum

doddsy69

I'm pleased that you reached 'settlement'. This to me, highlights the inherent flaw in the entire system. Similar to the days when the customer was supposed to fax in our 'missing points' in order to get them properly credited, the burden of proof lies solely on the lodger. I have heard just as many cases as yours (and nw_in_ca's below) as I have of folks receiving the payment. Regardless of the outcome, it certainly doesn't enhance the stay.

I'm fascinated the property valued the $100 more than 30k points (a Cat. 6, easily worth $250 or more), perhaps this provides some insight to us about the internal accounting of points, who knows. Their reaction is somewhat like banks paying billions (with a b) in fines for writing fraudulent loans but admitting no wrongdoing, it certainly makes markit8's comment about the property appear accurate.

Well, once you were placed in this jam, this was probably one of the better outcomes, so I'm glad it worked out this way - but, man, what a chore it becomes.

nw_in_ca Platinum 13 Reviews

I experienced a similar issues at the Renaissance Tampa International Plaza, with the slight twist that I was asked if I wanted points or the FB voucher and I accepted the offer of the points.  However, the 500 points were not posted when the stay showed up in my rewards account.

I emailed Marriott Customer Service (MCS) and simply asked for the 500 points to be applied.  I just wanted the paltry 500 points that I was entitled too applied to my account.

Although, MCS agreed to post the 500 points they sent back a reply informing me that this was a one time exception and that in the future I needed to address the problem prior to check-out per Marriott policy.  Well, that just irked me a bit too much.  How is the guest ever to be responsible for the inner workings or failings of how employees of the hotel enter data in the system and how that data interacts with Marriott Rewards?  The guest in cases like mine has no idea anything is wrong at check-out, in fact I believed everything was fine and correct until I saw (a few days after check-out) that the "platinum arrival gift" of 500 points had not been applied.

I am getting old, but in a time long, long ago and a galaxy of customer serve far away, the folio used to display the amount of Marriott points being "earned" prior to check-out.  That policy was discontinued by Marriott long ago, I can only surmise because too many folks found too many errors and clogged up the front desk trying to have the errors corrected prior to check-out!  Marriott needs to update the terms and conditions to reflect reality and ensure that hotels and franchises are providing guests with the benefits they are promised.  It is laughable that the guests are actually responsible for policing the Marriott Rewards program and ensuring that it is run correctly, that seems to imply it really isn't a reward system but more of bait and switch operation governed by the guests diligence, tenacity and Marriott simply plays catch us if you can with the guests.  A sad commentary on the company that used to put the founders book, "A spirit to Serve" in each of the hotel rooms.  If you check nowadays, that book is no longer there, I think that was a not so subtle message that the spirt to serve had passed on with old Mr. Marriott.

I replied back to MCS and inquired as to how I could become aware of errors such as the failure to apply the 500 points prior to check-out, when the 1st indication of an error does not appear until a few days later.  I even offered to provide some consulting services as to how Marriott could better ensure Elite guests are treated like "elites".  However, I suspect my offer to assist will not be acted on.  That absent a full scale revolt of elites, Marriott is just fine and dandy with how the program operates or fails to operate and actually deliver the true range of benefits "offered".

Glad you got a resolution that you liked, hopefully that GM will provide some training and guidance to the front desk staff!  Hopefully, at some point soon Marriott will regain its "spirit" and customer service will again drive the company.

ndn Platinum

I wonder if the response would have been different if you were a Ritz-Carlton Rewards member instead.

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

there is no way to know when checking out. I know that I have stayed on a Friday night and since concierge is not open for breakfast you can get an additional 750 points for not eating . Most times the hotel does do it but in the couple times that they didn't I sent in to Marriott and never even got a reply or the additional points

Ps I will wait and see if they credit me first before I do the happy ending thing

Quick update there's Still no sign of the points or credit for the stay also manager said he would email me no sign of that either  fingers crossed thing have slowed up with the holiday rush

christianas Platinum 2 Reviews

+doddsy69 I do know that that number of points requires a GM approval in the system before they will apply (going through a fight with the Fairfield Inn Indianapolis Airport at the moment).  So, if the GM refuses to take your calls/emails or refuses to actually credit the points, you won't ever see them as you have no one else to go to for recourse.

Good luck!

30k points posted today

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

glad it worked out for you

williston Platinum

TThe compensation issue is a continuing problem and more and more hotels are failing to offer a Platinum gift or if you opt for the points they often fail to add them.  However, I have successfully obtained the ISD100 on five occasions, including twice on successive nights this week. borh times before I checked out I went to the front desk and told them that I was not offered a Platinum arrival gift. On both occasions they replied "would you like the points?". My reply was the same both times, "No I'd like the compensation". Both times it was referred to a manager. The first hotel just paid without me speaking to the manager. In the second the duty manager tried to dissuade me from claiming. I simply said that I did not make the rules and that they were very clear. I pointed out that this siuation was happening so frequently that I have a screen shot of the relevant terms and conditions on my iPad if they would like to see it!! I was not prepared to argue, I just wanted the compensation.  They paid.  I think that you have to be polite but very firm. This does seem to be happening more and more frequently and the only way to prevent it is, in my view, for all Platinums to claim the compensation and not take not take "no" for an answer. It is not the cash that motivates me but the failure of some Marriott staff to follow their own rules. Incidentally I donate the cash to charity.

stelzer001 Platinum 2 Reviews

I have asked for the compensation at CO, and have been denied repeatedly, Seems like you are either more persuasive. I routinely don't get the plat bennie and even at CO at FD, when I ask they tell me they will post points, still doesn't happen. The $100 Plat promise is hollow and not honored

mrbmbrown Platinum

I have a similar experience. I have tried to get the guarantee before and it is almost not worth the effort.

idt Platinum

"... before I checked out I went to the front desk and told them that I was not offered a Platinum arrival gift. On both occasions they replied "would you like the points?". My reply was the same both times, "No I'd like the compensation". Both times it was referred to a manager."

That was my experience a few days ago as well.  They paid up without arguing about it, but I was left wondering how it should be paid.  They refunded it to the credit card I was paying the hotel bill with.  I also wondered what they are supposed to do with currency conversions.  They did the required currency conversion from dollars to pounds at the "hotel exchange rate".  This was at a rate of £1 = $1.47.  The interbank rate on the day was £1 = $1.30 and a bureau de change offering a good exchange rate would have exchanged at $1.325 per pound.  When I told them I knew what the current exchange rate was the response was that the hotel rate was the one they were going to use because that's the rate they would give a guest wanting to change dollars to pounds.  That reduced the amount of compensation I got, in pounds, by about 10%.

Platinum

I have collected the $100 compensation twice at Marriott full service properties and $50 twice - once at Courtyard and once at RI (the one I'm at now actually). Both of the full service Marriott's paid without much hassle and with a $100 bill sent to my room in an envelope with an apology. the Courtyard involved me and them contacting HQ, and eventually they gave me a $50 in an envelope. RI involved same sort of "education" of staff and contacting HQ, but in the end, the manager and staff member actually thanked me for alerting them to the policy and agreed that it was a TRAINING issue for management to address with all current and future staff.

mrbmbrown Platinum

Wish I had the same luck you did. I don't even bother anymore.

Platinum

mrbmbrown  It was more effort than luck, and I totally understand being unwilling to apply the effort it takes to get them to comply.

mrbmbrown Platinum

Yep dansplan at some point it is a time value of money calculation.

chris0311 Platinum

It is such a hassle trying to get it with International properties that I don't even bother. The most common excuse is "our property does not participate in that". It's cool if I get the PAG but I don't make waves if I don't receive one.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...