14 Replies Latest reply: Jan 21, 2015 2:09 AM by kharada46 RSS

JW Marriott Ko Olina

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

So as most of us are aware, the JW Marriott Ko Olina is closing very soon. It is going to become a Four Seasons. I just did a quick search and the Four Seasons website has the property listed as opening in 2016. It appears the property will no longer be a JW at the end of this month. That means it will be closed for a solid year to be renovated. I am guessing they won't be changing the room floor plans so even with upgrades to the common areas, restaurants, and pools, I can't see paying the insane Four Seasons room rates they charge at other properties. I am very curious to see how the renovations go, and exactly what they plan on doing. What are your thoughts? IAHFLYR, erc, kharada46

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: JW Marriott Ko Olina
    kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews

ks77, there's been a slight change in plans recently.  It was announced that Ihilani won't be closing on 01/10/15 anymore, however,  its contract with Marriott is expiring at that time.  The hotel will continue to operate till around Easter, but not as a Marriott branded property.  How they intend to continue to operate is beyond me, as all reservations were cancelled, and the property's website uses Marriott's reservation system.  Further, about 50% of the employees have already left for other opportunities. 

Ihilani to be placed under interim management

It is true the rooms will retain the same floor plan, however, I've heard they're going to be completely gutted and re-done.  Also, the event space and part of one of the existing towers will be demolished to make way for a new tower that will house additional rooms and residential units.  They also plan to re-do all the restaurants, replace the existing pool with 2 new ones, etc.  How they plan on accomplishing this all within less than a year, since no heavy construction will begin till after Easter, is beyond me. 

If done right, I think it might be worth the Four Seasons money, at least more so than some of the other Hawaii properties.  I've never stayed at a FS, but the Maui location doesn't look like anything special.  I'd rather stay at the nearby Andaz, but that's out of my price range too  

I'm still angry that they're taking away my beloved Ihilani.  I recently found out that the Ihilani name, which has endured since before the Marriott brand was used, will be removed.  But the property in it's current state is rather sad.  During our final stay almost a month ago, we noticed most of the fish were gone (from the ponds), amenities like the fire pit weren't maintained well and were decaying despite being new, and even the food quality seems to have slipped (likely a result of their chef's departure). 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

Thanks for the info!

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

While we are losing the JW Ko Olina, it appears that you are right kharada46, the new property is basically going to be totally different. All new guest rooms, swimming pool, and apparently a new residential tower. Interesting stuff....

What's new in Hawaii for 2015

Now, I did not know that we would be gaining a CY on North Shore! While a CY is not the best brand, the location is awesome!

"One of Hawaii's bigger announcements for 2015 is that Oahu is getting a sparkly new luxury hotel. The former JW Marriott Ihilani (located next to Disney's sprawling Aulani Resort) is going to get not just a face-lift but a complete overhaul before it makes its debut as the Four Seasons Resort Oahu at Ko Olina. The project, estimated at half a billion dollars, includes brand-new guest rooms, public spaces, swimming pools and a residential tower. It will be the first Four Seasons on Oahu (although the upmarket brand currently operates resorts on Maui, the Big Island and Lanai). This opening will help push Oahu back in the market for the luxury travelers and honeymooners who tend to seek out those other islands' quieter, less peopled pleasures.

And on the island's fabled North Shore, the Courtyard by Marriott Oahu North Shore (opening in May 2015) is a more wallet-friendly option for surfers seeking the Banzai Pipeline on a budget. The hotel will be located adjacent to the cool (and informative) Polynesian Cultural Center in Laie."

Yessir, though ks77, the CY is actually going to act as a training center for Travel Industry students at BYUH.  The property was in the news this week too, because they found Iwi (ancient Hawaiian remains) at the sight and had to halt construction for a little while. 

Can't wait till it opens though.  Would love to check it out when it does!

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

That's cool that it is a training center. I recently stayed at the Courtyard Newark - University of Delaware and that is where their hospitality management students work/train. It was a great property and a great stay.

That's great to hear ks77!  At any rate, I can't wait to give the property a try when it opens later this year

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

My thoughts are I won't be staying on Oahu' in the future it would appear.  We loved the JW and it's sad to see it going to another property and I've never stayed in a Four Seasons (or at least don't think I have ) so have nothing to compare.

Really IAHFLYR??  Gonna avoid my hometown? lol

There's still the Ko Olina Beach Club, the Waikiki Beach Marriott and the CY Waikiki Beach   

LOL, not a fan of Waikiki, if we want all that hustle and bustle we'd stay here in Houston.   Now I will still consider the Ko Olina Beach Club if we don't settle on a VRBO on Kauai' or Maui.

lol, true I guess... Perhaps we'll just have to time a trip to the neighbor island with you then IAHFLYR!

mpdad Platinum

I will miss the JW as well.  Have stayed there a number of times.  My family and I love the service and hospitality, plus the beautiful sunsets and beach.  My fondest memory is in 2006 when my son and I shared our first earthquake experience while on the lanai.  We lost power but the hotel staff was amazing and made the whole experience a positive one.  Stayed at the Ko Olina Beach Club a couple of months ago.  It was fun but prefer the JW.  Was disappointed with the Wakiki Marriott as now they charge 'resort fees'.  The amenities did not change, just the charges.

Well, the JW Ihilani is no longer part of the Marriott family, or ohana as we say here.  Lot's of fond memories of this place. 

jw1.jpgjw2.jpgjw3.jpgjw4.jpgjw5.jpg

And last but not least the fondest memory of all......Wedding Ceremony!! 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...