7 Replies Latest reply: Jan 5, 2015 2:48 PM by lindseyh RSS

Help with Platnuim Marriott program

billbill Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

A new Platnuim member here my first year. I'm just a recreational traveler  none for work. I don't think I will ever get to points needed for lifetime status , but it says you can purchase up to 50,000 a year . Will those points count for lifetime if purchased every year ? I have the Marriott visa and 240 nights so far. I read that as long as one year in program is Platnuim and you reach points needed your in. Anyone care to give a newbie tips or advise on reaching your ellite status ? He asked as he bows at your feet. 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Help with Platnuim Marriott program
    jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

even if you somehow get to the 2m points you would still need 750 nights to get to lifetime.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

billbill Platinum

you have years to get that right?

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

You have a lifetime to earn lifetime! From my point of view I should reach the points this year, but I'm still over 200 nights from Lifetime Plat and that'll take me another 3 or 4 years...

ndn Platinum

I am more concerned that they will eventually change the lifetime requirements before we can reach status

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Hi, billbill

As far as lifetime is concerned the scheme has changed a few times over the past years, and it no longer requires any time at a particular level. Lifetime membership is determined bynights AND earned Points only.

The lifetime requirements are:

1. Silver 250 qualifying nights and 1,200,000 earned points

2. Gold 500 qualifying nights and 1,600,000 earned points

3. Platinum 750 qualifying nights and 2,000,000 earned points

Almost all nights earned count except redemptions, so all other nights qualify, including bonus nights, rollover nights and credit card nights.

As far as I'm aware all points earned count including stays, incidental, platinum, bonuses, credit cards and purchased points too.

With the right US credit card it is theoretically possible to make lifetime platinum without staying at Marriotts. You'd have to spend a fortune though, and no doubt some of the American members can give you the stats...

Hope this helps. Happy New Year!

lindseyh Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Hi billbill! Congrats on your Platinum status! Katie and team looked into confirmation around your questions, and brightlybob! is 100% correct! Your purchased points will count towards lifetime status. You also do not need to have maintained status for any set amount of time before qualifying lifetime. Thanks for posting!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...