5 Replies Latest reply: Jan 2, 2015 1:27 PM by wally3433 RSS

Lifetime Platinums Make Up the 'Top 5%' of Marriott Guests?

billnelson Platinum 2 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

At a recent stay, a Marriott employee thanked me for being a Lifetime Platinum member.  His next comment, however, was pretty interesting.  He went on to say that LTPs make up the top 5% of Marriott's business.  I am not sure if that is true or not, but it did make me wonder about the distribution of Marriott Rewards members across the different levels and their overall ranking with Marriott guests. 

Adding up my total nights, I have stayed well over 3 years in Marriott hotels, but that number seems to pale in comparison to others I have seen post in these forums.  It would be interesting to see the distribution of of users throughout the MR ecosystem and how members rank with each other.

If his comment is true, then knowing that I am in the top 5% of Marriott's business would give me a certain level of pride.  But knowing where in that 5% I actually am would be quite interesting.  Does Marriott publish such numbers/rankings or in today's world of gamification, is there any reason why they wouldn't want to do so?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Lifetime Platinums Make Up the 'Top 5%' of Marriott Guests?
    lindseyh Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Hi billnelson! congrats on making Lifetime Platinum! That's very exciting! I looked into whether I could find anything regarding the stats and distribution question you posed, as I was interested in those numbers as well. Unfortunately I was unable to unearth anything, but if I ever come across any info I will be sure to pass it on!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

skiadcock Platinum 4 Reviews

FWIW - I doubt the employee's #s.  With every hotel & airline chain, there's always speculation as to what % is in which tier - and it's not good to associate # of elite tier with actual revenue makers.  The two aren't necessarily the same.  Marriott has several million members.  Lifetime members are probably small amounts (although will increase since they reduced the qualification #s) of the overall amount.  But that doesn't mean that a LT member is necessarily Marriott's main revenue maker.  Just like lots of United 1Ks flew on mileage runs.  One of the top status in years past, but some did it for very little $$.  Marriott's Platinum Premier status (which gets you buptkus other than knowing you are one) is based on a combo of revenue & nights & is invite only each year.

Cheers.

michellel2 Marriott Associate

Hi Bill and Happy New Year!  As you suspected, the associate is mis-informed.  There are very few Lifetime Platinum members so your distinction is quite unique and something to be extremely proud of!  Marriott Rewards is rapidly closing in on 50M members -- and total # of members is the only number a loyalty program usually makes public.  Distribution by tier is not something we share.  Properties will often establish a separate list of top guests and will celebrate them in their own way, which our members say they appreciate.

In order to make sure we follow up with appropriate associate training - and if you feel comfortable sharing - I'd love to know which hotel you were at when this experience happened.

Travel well!  MichelleL

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

LTPs represent top 5% of guests? Seems impossible to me. Many LTPs struggle across the line from several years of LTGold status. Many other LTPs are retired and spend only a few nights at Marriotts each year, their high-travelling days long since gone. Indeed thats what the LTP program is about, encouraging long loyal business stayers to become loyal leisure customers in their retirements, the "grey $".

And as for top 5%, by what matrix? Nights stayed? Rate paid? Profitability? It's all very nebulous.

Like many here I am idly curious as to how many of Marriotts near 50m members are active, what % are silver, gold or plat. Or lifetimers. But only idly curious, it's proprietary info that Marriotts not going to share with us, not to be nasty but because that kind of info in the hands of other groups (ie Hilton, IHG, SPG, Hyatt) would give thowe competitors a benchmark to greater understanding and cross comparison between their schemes and Marriott. No doubt SPG and Hyatt, being the minnows in this group would be happy to do a "I'll show you mine if you show me yours" deal, but I can't see the giant schemes, HH or MR seeing any advantage in such an arrangement, so we will have to continue being idly curious...

wally3433 Platinum 2 Reviews

So, we are not even as rare as Prime Beef, which represents the top 2% of all beef.

Something to strife for - LTP Prime!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...