27 Replies Latest reply: Dec 15, 2015 2:18 AM by marcell RSS

Lower Rates Found Using the Marriott E-Breaks Notification

marcell Gold
Currently Being Moderated

I (originally) booked a stay for the weekend of August 28th -30th, 2014 in Crystal City at the Crystal Gateway Marriott for $119.00.

Every Monday, I receive an email about the Marriott E-Breaks rates for the week for the promotion code MEB. I saw that the Washington, DC area was listed as one of the areas with a special rate. I clicked on the link and saw the Crystal Gateway Marriott listed for $95.00.

If anyone has booked reservations weeks ago and your trip is coming up this week or beyond, try the MEB rate. You may find that your will get a lower rate for the same stay period.

If so, just book the new lower rate and cancel the previous one.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Lower Rates Found Using the Marriott E-Breaks Notification
    pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

That's a great tip, Marcell.  Thanks for taking the time to share it with the community.  I'll be sure to give it a try on my next stay!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

marcell,

That's a great reminder. Many reward members may have forgotten about the Marriott E-Breaks program.  Here's another tip the E-Break Rates are usually loaded into the system by Sunday afternoon/evening.  So you may not have to wait till Monday to check for the discount.  Just use the MEB promo code to check rates for the upcoming weekend.

erc Platinum

marcell (once again, another name that can't currently be tagged)

As all said above, thanks for sharing, this is a terrific reminder and a superb use of Insiders. As hoteliers (not just Marriott, but the entire industry) continue to flex their economic muscles due to record setting demand, we, as travelers, must look into (and share) every nook and cranny for savings to counter the hoteliers' aggressive pricing tactics.

Now, along with the above excellent tip, here's something else to keep in mind Insiders; as like the Marriott Rewards Offers price, the E-Break Rate is not always the best rate (even tho as marcell writes, it is often, better than the previous rate).  Be sure to check both the AAA rate (and really, if you're a serious non-govt rate lodger, you should invest in a AAA card) and the Advanced Rate (if you're checking week of, the risk of cancellation is probably pretty slim). I have seen (only occasionally, but therefore, worth checking each time) examples where my AAA rate had declined also and where the Advanced Rate ($79 vs. $95) beat the E-break rate (which again, is an excellent weapon, so don't throw out the baby with the bath water, I'm just saying, swirl through the bathwater, to see if there are any other goodies in there ).

marcell Gold

You're welcome Erc.

As you acknowledge, there may be other rates that might be cheaper than MEB. The AAA rate is sometimes cheaper that the published rate on marriott.com.  Sometimes, it can be higher than the Marriott rate particularly if there's an advanced purchase rate that's usually low.  I usually don't use the Advanced Purchase Rate only because something may come up at the last minute and as you know, there is no refund if you need to cancel.

Sometimes, there may be a Marriott web special listed when you select "check rates" for a hotel listing.

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

thanks for the info, marcell

and, thanks, vaboywnder, for the clear explanation!

and, yeah, what erc said (and many others confirm) about AAA - absolutely...  See also: http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/polls/1023

aje5837 Silver 1 Reviews

Thank you!  I'll have to try the code.  I didn't know about this and don't think I get the e-mails on Mondays!

christianas Platinum 2 Reviews

I want to thank you for posting this!  I had no knowledge of the MEB promo code!  This is exactly why I joined Insiders and check it frequently.  I will have to start using this in my arsenal of weapons to find the best rates.

Does anyone know how I can get on the email list for this?

superchief1 Platinum

Thanks for the reminder regarding the MEB rates. I previously used them on a regular basis prior to Marriott changing how they communicated the availabiltiy of these rates. The previous communications were timely and clearly communicated. I find that now I need to do a lot more work to identify these 'specials'. I always check MEB, AAA, and a few other rate codes up until my travel date (now it will have to be done a day earlier due to new cancellation policy).

marcell Gold

To the Marriott Community.......The MEB rate is only good for the current week. It lists certain states that you can use the MEB rates on. When you click on the listed state, it will list a few cities which contain certain hotels that accept the rate. Hope everyone enjoys these opportunities that come up when trying to save a few dollars.

treetree Platinum 14 Reviews

THanks for a great tip!!

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

Good tip!  Never found a really good rate but now will start looking again.

lindseyh Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Great insights, marcell! Thanks for sharing with the community!

blueheaven Gold

I learned something new and useful!  Thanks to everyone for the info and explanation!

marcell Gold

An update........Last weekend, I had another stay at the Crystal Gateway Marriott in Arlington (Crystal City), VA. In early December 2014, the regular rate for a 2-night stay for the period January 15-17, 2015 was $129.00. However, I booked a AAA rate for $111.00 per night.

On Monday, January 12, 2015, I received the Marriott E-Breaks email. I looked to see if Virginia was one of the states listed as having special rates for the week. It didn't show, but I looked under the District of Columbia listing.

(Note: If you're staying in a Northern Virginia hotel, you can check obviously under the Virginia link for lower rates. If nothing shows, try checking under the District of Columbia link since these areas is considered the DC area).

I saw the rate for this hotel for $83.00 per night which I booked.  Truly a blessing from the Lord...saved $46.00 each night plus tax!

jm1991 Gold 3 Reviews

How do you people get the ebates notification?  Does it just automatically email you or do u have to opt in to something?

jtpc Gold

Are Marriott e-breaks considered qualifying rates? Just wanted to make sure that as a reduced rate, they will still be points-producing rates and will count towards bonuses and promotions. Thanks!

Jsucool76 Gold

Yes, as far as I know.

I think it is just hotels throwing out any available rooms they have left, for lower prices, just to get something out of them.

marcell Gold

Yes, these MEB rates count towards earning points and nights as well as toward stays for promotions. Basically, anytime you a book a rate whether it's a low rate or a high rate, you'll earn either points, nights, or stays toward promotions.

marcell Gold

Hello Marriott Travelers,

Here's another hotel rate deal. 4 weeks ago, I booked a stay at the Crystal Gateway Marriott for Dec. 17th for a couple of days. When booking a Thursday and Friday as one reservation, I was offered a good rate of $95.00 for the 1st night and $79.00 for the 2nd night.

This week I tried for the MEB rate, but it was not available. Out of curiosity, I did a search for Arlington, VA for a Thursday check-in for 2 nights. To my delight, the hotel rate had a special "REWARDS OFFERS" shown for $71.00 per night, which was an overall savings of about $36.00.

A reminder if you have any hotel plans coming up this week, check the Marriott website the week of your upcoming stay. The rates may change to your benefit.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...