21 Replies Latest reply: Sep 3, 2015 1:29 PM by 702rugbyref RSS

Atlantis booking warning

californian Platinum 37 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I have been hassling on trying to book Atlantis.  I have learned that if you book on the website, it goes in as a third party reservation.  Paradise Vacations is shown on the credit card charge and nothing guaranteed.  After several calls, I found that you need to call Marriott reservations and they transfer you to the Atlantis however even that is not enough.  You must have them start the reservation to have it go in as a Marriott.  They require full payment at time of booking.  With that my rewards number goes in and I should get points and get 5 points/dollar for my credit card.  With this they will guarantee bed type for platinum's too.  Now to see if it really goes in as a Marriott charge.  If it is not a Marriott charge, I use another cc.  I just hope that I am done and I hope I have a better experience when I get there.

I started another discussion on if pre-paid food is a good value.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Atlantis booking warning
    erc Platinum

Oftentimes a new opening can represent an excellent opportunity for a significant value (Pier South Resort opened with rates never to be seen again) or opening prices and excellent service (Fairfield Inn, Chincoteague, Va. or the Capitola Fairfield, which rose in Category each year since opening), but this one, Atlantis, had 'hair' all over it from the beginning, a lot of mystery and confusion.

Best wishes toward a stay worthy of your diligence. Hopefully everything will be smoothed out by time of your arrival. Thank you for sharing.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

I just checked and the reservation still does not shoe in my Marriott account.  No discounts as of yet.  They do not offer AAA or any other discount.  As it gets closer, if they have special rates, I can request that rate.  For me, I wanted to use miles and know that I must book far in advance to get what I want.  At this point, I am hoping for the best.

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Thanks for all the info californian, you are way more patient than I would have been as I would have folded up my tent and found another spot regardless of how lovely the joint is.

Well!  I am on my third reservation and over a half dozen calls.  As it turns out, if you use the Marriott cc you only get one point per dollar.  If you book on the website, you may not get points for your stay.  You need to call Marriott reservations and they transfer you to Atlantis reservations.  Some of the people there are more knowledgeable than others.  I am now working with a supervisor in customer service and think I may have what I want.  They will not guarantee bed type till arrival but I was told that we can request and they try to honor this for platinum's.

All that time spent in my mind means it is not meant to be at this point in time.

I have found that to be true in the past but I made a mistake and book air after I booked the Atlantis and before I found all the problems.  It has not been easy and it appears that Marriott has very little say with that resort.  It does not feel like booking a Marriott.  I hope that it is good when I get there.  It is really expensive and from what I am learning really expensive when there.  Bottled water (16 oz) is $7 and none free.

erc Platinum

Now, not to concern you or to pile on, but here is the latest post re: Atlantis on FlyerTalk

Originally Posted by jwlowry View Post

More details to follow, but my family and I just completed a three night stay at Atlantis. Summary: I will never stay there again, I would highly recommend that anyone reading this never stay there, and Atlantis is not ready to be affiliated with Marriott.

Wow - will be interested to read the details when you post.

Cheers.

Sharon (our friend skiadcock)

I would also review the last few pages of the entire thread - to head off any other anticipated headaches.

Atlantis, Bahamas now an Autograph Collection property - FlyerTalk Forums

I would use the above info, more as background when chatting at check in - they have something at stake and you're there to help them improve their current image

The good news - (just like the crappy parking situation at the Ft. Lauderdale Beach Place Towers) you have a great spot, no doubt superb weather, and will not let anything interfere with you having a terrific time. Like Townie said to Bobby Boucher in Waterboy, Rob Schneider "you can do it" - YouTube   go man, go!

Thanks erc.  I have read through a few pages and intend to continue.  I just hope that once Marriott has time, hope before I get there, they will improve the Atlantis.  I have heard good things from some people too.  At this time, I am concerned about the prices on everything once there.  I will report when I find our more.

Finished reading FT and they are much more on top of the Atlantis then MIs.  It does not sound great but I can hope that by the time I get there Marriott will have it more under control.  The taxes and fees are too much and I expect to make the visit a one time one.  I can go to Hawaii and not have to deal with all that.

skiadcock Platinum 4 Reviews

And the details of the trip have been posted on Flyertalk.  It's not pretty.  Atlantis officially off my list of places to stay.  Cheers.

FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Atlantis, Bahamas now an Autograph Collection property

Wow!!!!

I decided to stay at the Atlantis because it is now a Marriott and expect elite treatment.  Some of what is written here is almost unbelievable especially the luggage storage at departure.  I had planned to catch a late flight to maximize my time there but will look to change that and will probably shorten my stay.  If I had not already booked my air going I would reconsider if I really wanted to go there.  Reviews of the island are mixed too.  It appears that there is a money grab all over.  Thanks so much for making us aware of what is happening.  The specified item was not found.  Have you been able to get any information on bottled water cost?  Did you read the FT post?  Comments?

And the negative stories/experiences are still being reported on Flyertalk.  joshm, you might want to go over to the Marriott forum on Flyertalk and/or direct the Atlantis team to read the thread & the problems, outright scams, etc.  Atlantis is one experience away from becoming a negative story on USA Today, various blog sites, and other media outlets.

And right now the only thing I'd say (to quote an old television show), "Warning, Warning Will Roger" and encourage Insiders & Flyertalkers NOT to stay at Atlantis, but instead to stay at other Marriott Caribbean properties.

Cheers.

Of which there are a number of excellent Caribbean properties let alone VRBO rather than to put up with all these issues we are learning of at Atlantis. Just very very sad management of a property drags the hotel chain name through the crud such as this.

Here are Marriott T&Cs re: Atlantis from the Marriott website:

Atlantis, Paradise Island, Bahamas participates in Marriott Rewards as follows:

- Points or Miles may be earned for reservations booked through www.marriott.com/atlantis or by calling 1-855-696-4732.

- Points or Miles will NOT be earned and Points CANNOT be redeemed for reservations booked through Atlantis Paradise Vacations, Atlantis.com, or AtlantisBahamas.com.

- Points may be redeemed for stays only by calling 1-855-696-4732. At this time, redemption stays cannot be booked online.

And as long as we're discussing the good, the bad & the ugly - or what to expect/not expect:

All Atlantis properties are considered resort, so basically all you'll get is free internet for elite bennies.

Points are earned for room rate only. No points on incidental spend.

Platinum Arrival Gift (PAG) is 500pts or food/drink amenity.

$20 internet fee is waived for Gold/Plats.

ADDITIONAL CHARGES:

Guests of Atlantis, Harborside Resort, The Cove and The Reef Atlantis are subject to an 20% charge per night that includes taxes, the Paradise Island Tourism and Development Association levy, the Nassau Paradise Island Promotion Board levy and compensation for servicing your reservation. In addition, guests will be required to pay a mandatory gratuity and utility service fee of up to $25.95 per person per day depending on unit type for Atlantis guests, (ii) up to $20.70 per person per day depending on unit type for Harborside Resort guests, and (iii) up to $65.95 per person per day depending on unit type for The Cove or The Reef Atlantis guests. If you purchase a pre-paid package these charges are already included in your package price. If you do not purchase a pre-paid package, these charges will be assessed upon check out at the property. Please be advised that all mandatory gratuities, taxes, levies and service fees are subject to change.

The saga goes on.  I decided to shorten my stay rather than pay all the fees and especially the late departure fees.  As it turns out, they charge more for one night than 2.  I can't get air using miles for staying 2 nights.  So I pay for 2 and hope that the price on the hotel changes or the airline opens up seats to allow me to stay the second day. 

Kathy K. of Atlantis customer service, a Marriott employee, has helped me.  If I try to book 1 night, the price is $590 for the value tower.  If I book 2 nights, the price is $190 per night or $380 for 2 nights.  I asked Kathy to get me a price of $190 for 1 night.  The resort refused so she is having Marriott pay for one of the nights and all the taxes and fees thus I will be paying $190 for the night that I will be there.  In my opinion, she went above and beyond and I would like to nominate her for the Spirit to Serve Award The specified item was not found. Do you know how to do this?  To me, this shows that Marriott is willing to do what it takes to make us happy at this resort.

Awesome new californian, your persistence sure paid off.

seanjaz Platinum 4 Reviews

I just posted about my own bad experience in attempting to book a travel package.

I am a big Marriott Reward fan, and am worried that Marriott is allowing Atlantis to ruin the great reputation that Marriott Reward has.

I was thrilled when the Atlantis joined the Marriott Reward family, but I think Marriott should only accept them if they agree to play by the Marriott Rewards rules and policies.

702rugbyref Platinum

It is the addons or hidden agendas I don't like about this resort.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...