16 Replies Latest reply: Jan 3, 2015 1:15 PM by ndn RSS

Rollover Nights - 2015?

Jsucool76 Gold
Currently Being Moderated

So I just joined MR in (maybe) sept or october (or nov, i don't really remember) and I only stayed 5 nights this year. I have the marriott premier credit card with chase, which grants 15 nights, for a total of 20 nights.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, I may very well be:

15 nights from the card (10 for silver, plus 5 on top of that) and then I stayed 5 nights. do those 10 nights rollover?

I also got a ritz card which upped me to gold on dec 18th or something like that. Does that make a difference?

Thanks in advance, I may just be super dumb and not understand how this rollover thing works.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Rollover Nights - 2015?
    jm1991 Gold 3 Reviews

technically you are at gold now because of Ritz. im not sure how that works with rollovers but the rollovers for gold is nights above 50. :/ i really hope they rollover though

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

ndn Platinum

If your Ritz card is tied to the same account as your Marriott card, I would bet you get zero rollover. You would be gold already, and you cannot roll over then any nights if you didn't earn gold "naturally."

Jsucool76 Gold

And this is why we need a standard.

If you get gold status from the card it should just give you 50 nights. I know why it doesnt - Because marriott doesn't want to put you that much closer to plat, and chase doesn't wanna forfeit their transaction fees on 75k worth of spending, but still. It would be nice to not miss out on rollovers simply because I decided to be loyal and get a credit card tied to your rewards program.

ndn Platinum

If they gave you 50 nights, getting the Marriott card, too, would put you 10 nights away from platinum. That is just way too tight for them, as that would also dilute RewardsPlus that much more. I do think that they should give some elite nights though.

Jsucool76 Gold

Sure it would put me way close to plat, but that would be their fault, not mine

And if they don't want to give elite nights for the gold from ritz card, then they should at least let my nights rollover. It didn't say anywhere on my application terms and conditions "Your elite nights will no longer rollover unless you get more than 50 in a calendar year"

I'm just nitpicking though. I do love the card. haha.

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Once you received the Ritz card you were upgraded to gold and as you ended the year on gold, only nights in excess of 50 roll over. I'm afraid no rollover for you, but you're gold right now and as long as you keep the card, no nights counting required. I reckon it's a great card for those 20-30 night stayers, and wish it had been available in the UK a few years ago!

tommo781 Silver 8 Reviews

I wish we had something like it here too brightlybob.  The best we get is a card with 10 nights, so only silver.

ndn Platinum

They should at least also give an elite night credit per $3k spent. So spend $75k and get platinum status, but also 25 elite nights towards lifetime status.

shakennotstirred Gold 4 Reviews

I agree ndn re: Ritz card not giving night credit per $3k spend like the Marriott card is a bummer and somewhat puzzling.  It appears to be the only feature of the Marriott card not duplicated or exceeded by Ritz (Ritz knowingly being overshadowed by Marriott in anything?  Interesting indeed!).  As it stands, I'll have to spend $10k ASAP using Ritz each new year (to maintain Gold), then start using Marriott the rest of the year to get nights credits/$3k spend.  The only reason at this point for the nights quest being Lifetime status. It would certainly be great if the $3k night credit was applicable to Ritz spend, then I could get the year-end 10% point bonus that is applicable to Ritz.

Message was edited by: shakennotstirred P.S.  After posting, I just realized I answered my own question:  for as long as I spend at least $10k each year using the Ritz card, I'll be "lifetime" gold.  Bye-bye Marriott card unless someone sees something I'm missing?

ndn Platinum

I use the Ritz card so I can get platinum with $75k spend. Platinum conveys United Silver. Ideally, I would like to get Marriott platinum while also getting the extra elite nights

Good point.  My spend usually won't be able to reach $75k due to other card commitment, but it's a possibility!

Only reason to use the Marriott card now appears to be for Marriott properties to get 5x points.

ndn Platinum

Ritz card also gets 5 points per dollar at marriott

Thanks, did not know that (just got the card last week!).  Well, it's a wrap, Ritz it is.

ndn Platinum

I wouldn't say that for sure!  It all depends on your personal situation. For me, Ritz is where I would make all my spend--so that I can get Marriott Platinum and thus also United Silver. (I cannot always guarantee that I will make United Silver the natural way every year). However, if I could not or would not spend $75k a year on the card or if I would make Marriott Platinum or United Silver the natural way, I would probably only spend $10k to get guaranteed gold and put the rest on the Marriott card, since that would give 1 elite night per $3k spent.

Jsucool76 Gold

Marriott card is still fantastic for the free night. $85 for a free night, I'll take it any day of the week. lol

Definitely!  It will now just be relegated to the inactive, open accounts group...with Chase credit that can be reassigned as needed!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...