18 Replies Latest reply: Mar 14, 2015 7:11 PM by 2travelforever RSS

posting of 15 elite nights from credit card

jack613 Silver
Currently Being Moderated

hi fellow insiders! My card anniversary is  mid-late dec and my 15 elite nights post to my account online for around 2 weeks.They are then totally erased in the beginning of january.That is what happened last year and am expecting that to occur shortly. Why can't there be a way that for a 12 month period from dec to dec or at least most of the year that my account can show those nights? i don't like seeing for most of the year that i am so far from gold and at the end of the year for 2 weeks i am much closer.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: posting of 15 elite nights from credit card
    jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

all nights go to zero in January but they will roll over nights to next year based on how far you exceed the level you are at silver, gold or platinum

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Although discouraging to see the 15 credit card nights disappear within days of crediting your account, it actually makes no difference to requalification.

Let's say your card nights are credited on 20th December each year and you stay 65 nights in 2014, staying your last night on December 14th. Your credit card nights are credited on 20th December bringing you up to 80 nights, hence requalifying for platinum.

If your nights credit on 20th January each year then in 2014 you get to 80 on 14th December. The fact that it's 6 days earlier makes no difference.

The only issue is if you're not renewing, but making your way through the nights to qualify for status the very first time. In that case if your credit card nights credit early in the year you'll get to gold after only 35 nights stayed, plat after only 60...

jack613 Silver

thanks for the information! i understand what you are saying as far as renewing status, however i am trying to reach gold but do not travel often.Through spending lots of money on the card and the 15 elite nights on the card  i am making my way up closer to gold status. We travel in the summer time as a family vacation and if i am lucky enough to work it out for a night or two without the kids as well. That is why the timing of december is not the best for me. (an upgrade or use of the CL would be nice)

Jsucool76 Gold

Happy New Year!

If you're looking for painless gold status, I would suggest the Ritz Carlton rewards credit card. It is the same rewards program as marriott (they are partners, status is interchangeable) and you get automatic gold status for the first year, and your status can be renewed by spending a mere $10,000 a year with your credit card (general spend, on anything), and can attain platinum status by spending $75,000 a year on the card. (To put this into perspective you need to spend something like 105k for gold status on the marriott card, and 150k on the marriott card to acheive plat status through spend only)

Along with the gold status you also receive a $300 airline incidental reimbursement (which can anecdotally be used for airline gift cards, just not with United, and apparently not southwest anymore).

and if you stay at the ritz you get some extra benefits there as well. There is a 140,000 point sign up bonus going around now if you're interested.

jm1991 Gold 3 Reviews

get the ritz carlton card. Much better option if you are trying to stay at gold. It gives you gold for the first year and for the year after if you pend 10k or more a year on the card. Plus you have the marirott card which gives you the cert and the credits as well. It has a 395 AF but has a $300 reimbursement for airline incidentals which you can get back by buying gift cards for airlines. Plus CL access and breakfast makes up for the remainder of the AF

jack613 Silver

the only thing stopping me was the annual fee and the $300 reimbursement for airline incidentals. Are you saying that the 300 dollars i will get back even if i did not fly and can buy airline gift cards for someone else(family,friends etc)? i think i  am i misunderstanding you. i hardly fly so i do not think the card is for me although i would love gold status at the ritz.

Jsucool76 Gold

I recently just applied for the ritz card because of it's 140k point offer, I bought 300 in SW gift cards (which reportedly are hit and miss for reimbursement now because chase gets more info from SW due to their partnership) and 300$ worth of delta gift cards (total $600, 300 in dec, 300 in january) and I've purchased 3 (technically round trip but on 2 different airlines) tickets to NY and back, (had to throw down like $120 bucks in cash with the gift cards too) and 5 nights at the JW marriott essex house in central park on points. I also managed to get my annual fee waived for the first year on the ritz card, so I would say it's been the most valuable card I've ever had (so far)

ndn Platinum

I got it with the tier 1-4 credit. Now i am trying to figure out how to use that instead for a suite. I don't stay in rooms for personal travel--only suites; so the free night certificate is not so useful. I wish I had waited and gotten the 140k points.

ndn Platinum

I really don't see the point in having BOTH the Ritz and Marriott cards. I have the Ritz card. The ability to get gold for $10k and Platinum for $75k (United Silver, too) is nice for many. The Marriott card is more useful for those who travel enough to get close to the next level of status, but not quite there. The card holder can then use the 15 credit nights and the spending on the card to cross the threshold. This is probably more useful for platinum though than gold, since Ritz just gives the holder gold status. The best use of the Marriott card to me is if a person stays something like 60 nights a year in Marriott or Ritz properties. That would qualify the card holder for platinum without the spending requirement.

That said, I just can't see any reason to hold BOTH cards. Getting gold from the Ritz card doesn't give 50 nights, so the Marriott card wouldn't add any value unless the person is gold already--in which case the Ritz card is adding no value.

Jsucool76 Gold

Having the marriott card still gives you the annual free night, easily paying for it's own annual fee.

ndn Platinum

That is true. It also could get somebody to lifetime status faster with the 15 extra nights I suppose. Do you know anybody who has the Marriott card AND the Ritz card though?

jm1991 Gold 3 Reviews

i do. and yeah i use the cert for when family comes over theres several nice properties cat 4&5. And its an expensive area so nights go for 100+ easily and upto $300  on peak dates

Jsucool76 Gold

I also have both the marriott and ritz card. Impossible to say no to it with the 140k offer that is out currently, especially when I add in the 70k i just got from my marriott card.

ndn Platinum

Do you have Ritz or Marriott as your preferred earning method and why?  The cat 4 certificate would be useless for me. I stay cat 5-8 properties throughout the year.

Jsucool76 Gold

It's a cat 5 cert on the marriot card.

cat 1-4 year one (since AF is waived year one, but you get the points from the signup)

cat 1-5 every year after that.

I have a marriott account, not a ritz account. No difference as far as I can tell, though I've heard that megabonus can be different depending on who your "main" program is with.

ndn Platinum

Again though I only stay in cat 5 for personal, so suites only. The certificate would not get me a suite. For work, I am always in a cat 8.

2travelforever Platinum 1 Reviews

Because of this site, I too have both.  The Marriott CC gives a night credit for every 3000.00 spent.  This adds up to lifetime status. The Ritz I got mostly for the 140, 000 points that got me to the Gold level.  I have given my Marriott Night to family and friends.  There is always someway to use a free night. 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...