84 Replies Latest reply: Jan 15, 2015 2:50 PM by profchiara Branched to a new discussion. RSS

How do you celebrate?

kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

We're also so different, so I think it would be an interesting discussion to see how everyone celebrates the New Year, or even the holidays in general.  So let's get the conversation going IAHFLYR, pluto77, erc, ks77, californian, profchiara, jakeal, bejacob, brightlybob, Tommo781 The specified item was not found., NathalieF, KatieC.

In fact, I'll go first!  In Hawaii, there are many different ways to celebrate the New Year.  What most families do is have a party/get together filled with tons of great food being either homemade or store bought.  But the similarities will usually end there, as most follow one or a couple of different ethnic traditions.  In the Harada house, we have soba before midnight on the Eve and partake in different preparations of mochi (Japanese rice cake) including grilled with soy sauce and nori, fried and coated with kinako (soybean powder) and sugar, and even in ozone (soup)

IMG_0160.jpg

あけましておめでとうございます(akemashite omedetou gozaimasu), Hau'oli Makahiki Hou, Happy New Years! 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Cairo, Egypt Renaissance Hotels Renaissance Cairo Mirage City Hotel
  • Re: How do you celebrate?
    erc Platinum

Each year, normally in June or July, I book a DC area Marriott at a great rate (two years ago, a Residence Inn in Old Town Alexandria for first night, last year the Ritz, oooh, la la, this year the Mayflower), with grand plans to bring in the New Year's with fireworks, party favors, an excellent dinner, and 'hail fellow well mets' all around.

Each year, we do the hotel part, do the dinner part, and then come up with some lame excuse to bypass the rest and watch it on television, usually calling it quits around 11:30 !

Now, when we were younger, we would have soba before midnight on the Eve and partake in different preparations of mochi, including grilled with soy sauce and nori, fried and coated with kinako, and sugar, so I guess we're your Ghost of New Year's Future   .  Have a great time.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Sounds like a great time!  You really know how to party erc!  Or are your daughters the ones actually doing the planning??... Don't be taking their credit!  I'll tell!! 

So when you were younger, you were Japanese?  lol  

erc Platinum

Hmmm, Facebook, that's right - I'd better watch my P's and Q's

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

Actually, not at all -- a combination of not being a night owl and also being a hermit means I'm at home in bed and asleep by 8pm!  But Happy New Year to everyone else!

Sleep is always good too profchiara.  Sounds good to me! 

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

We are normally just stay at home New Years Eve, grill something and start watching the stuff on TV then pop the cork on some Champagne at midnight central time.  New Years Day cook something good for breakfast and then go over to the Son and Wife house or they come here to do more grilling. 

This year we are having dear friends over to watch the "DUCKS" take the Seminoles apart.....The specified item was not found. hurry, get on a plane and get over here!

lindseyh Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Go Ducks! I'll be having friends over to watch as well, as we have for the past several years.

I used to not be so big on News Years Eve, but over the past few years I have attended a great event at the Portland Art Museum. There is live art, music, and great lounge areas that they set up throughout the building. Looking forward to going again this year!

Thanks for starting this post, kharada46! This is great!

Sounds like lots of fun lindseyh!  I should tell my friends in P-Town (originally from Hawaii)!  I wonder if they've ever been

That's a lot of grilling IAHFLYR!  Sounds like a lot of fun!  A very Texas New Year

You know the grill is always ready.  One change to this New Years Eve and Day......Brother-in-Law showed up the other day so today we will have mid afternoon snack of King Crab Legs and some different Cheese/Grape combos along with some white wine.  Dinner will be nicely grilled Rib Eye's, Sauteed Mushrooms, Salad and Asparagus.

Tomorrow for the "BIG GAME" we will have a couple over who are also Duck fans and will start with Jalapeno Poppers of course grilled to perfection , then move over to the Spicy Chicken Wings, finish with slow cooked Baby Back Ribs. 

Happy New Year to all and a very safe 2015.

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

I usually watch the big ball drop in NYC which is 9pm my time.  That way I can go to bed having welcomed the New Year in and not stay up that late.  The best New Year's I have had were in Hawaii where the people really celebrate with fireworks, etc.

That's a great idea californian!  True too, though I think it's tapered off a bit.  On Oahu anyway, we have a pretty strict permitting system now... though the amount of illegal fireworks have seemed to pick up quite a bit lately...

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

This is a great post, kharada46! I'm not always in the same spot for New Year's Eve but at some point we almost always play LRC with friends (which is a fun dice game) and on New Year's Day I always make a black-eyed pea dip!

Thanks NathalieF!  That must be interesting/fun, experiencing the holidays in a new location all the time!

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

The wife and I like to stay in and cook ourselves a really nice meal. Usually steak and potatoes or perhaps pasta with crab meat and wash it down with a nice bottle of wine. Then we have a sip of bubbly at midnight and go to bed, we like to keep it low key.

ks77, great minds think alike!  This year I'll be cooking up dinner, probably steak + teriyaki sauce and maybe some shrimp   bubbly at midnight is just about the only time the Mrs. usually ever drinks through out the year

erc Platinum

And don't forget gang, the First Annual (and no doubt, one time only)

Insiders Only, CyberWednesday, MegaBonus, NonFacebook, New Year's Eve Contest

right here in this very forum. So set your alarms, put down your horns, and finish your champagne

and play along. You may be The Winner. Coming soon in a post near you

So erc those in this thread get first crack right? 

erc Platinum

That's right kharada46 you guys are in the know;

while you whip up your super duper soba special

and pluto preps her clam chowda

and cal and prof c are tucked in

and ks and tommo are wining and dining at home

and lindsey partying it up with Fred Armisen in Portland

and nathalie finally figuring out why she always loses at "LRC"  

and b.e. will be defending his ballroom championship  

and an already aging (c'mon bbob, we didn't wilt until our late fifties )  last calling

and IAH thrilling, again, his neighbors with his best Bobby Flay routine  

the First Annual (and last ever) Insiders Only, CyberWednesday, MegaBonus, NonFacebook, New Year's Eve Contest  will magically appear on the Insiders forum - so be there or be square, it's bound to be as exciting as video check out  . Happy New Years to all

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

I am a bit of a New Year scrooge myself.

When the kids were growing up, it was party food, board games and heading outside at midnight to bang on some pots and pans, lighting off a few fireworks if we had saved any from July, and then the New Year's morning touch football game over at the church (and honestly, just a few rounds of Pit or Spoons or Uno in the early evening and then bed would've been just perfect even back then. )

Now with the kids being grown and gone, it's just a 9pm ball drop (so glad that ball is located three time zones ahead of ours!), a check-in on the Rose Parade the next morning while making eggs (THE non-work day brekkie at our house) and then the Christmas decorations come down.  This non-celebration ritual is especially true if we've traveled over Christmas.  Though I am grateful that it constitutes a paid holiday (thank you local taxpayers), I wish it were a floating holiday.  I really have no use for a day off on one of the coldest, shortest days of the year.

I do make Clam Chowder every New Year's.  Your New Year's food sounds and looks great kharada46 ...  Now you've got my Nihongo culinary wheels a spinning... Soup soba (what we used to call it anyway and oh, how I miss it) sounds good!

Our biggest January celebrations inevitably revolve around certain NFL playoff games (and then if we're lucky, the Superbowl.)  Lots of great food and football excitement.  Now we're talkin.'

Finally?  Finally, I love Champagne.  What a shame that midnight is too late, and Mimosa's (even one) tend to undermine my day.  Maybe I'll buy some and serve it in the evening with - Clam Chowder and Saltines.

Happy New Year!

Scrooge?  I think not pluto77.  Quiet is always nice!  We're homebodies ourselves, so we understand  

Clam chowder is always awesome... especially with champagne!  Hey, seafood and white wine pair well together right??   Ah yes, Japanese traditions run strong in the family... sort of.  Grandpa called today saying he's going to drop off a kadomatsu tomorrow, likely with the requisite other items... if not, I totally neglected to pick some up from the store!  Oh well... lol  I wonder if Sun Noodle sells fresh soba in California like they do in Hawaii? 

There are no stores here in Central CA that carry Sun Noodle products (I could kick myself, I was just in So. CA last weekend and could've done some noodle shopping. )

Your grandpa is totally awesome.

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

Funny you should bring up New Year's foods. During the years I lived in Seattle, osechi-ryori was a tradition (though I would always order ahead and pick up at the local Japanese grocery ). Now that I'm back in the Midwest, I haven't continued the tradition, though I do know a place nearby that might carry such fare.

I no longer eat any special foods for New Years now, but there is one thing I do (almost) every year.

On New Year's Eve, we find a place (restaurant, event hall, ballroom) that features a big band for ballroom dancing all evening. This year it will be a WWI themed restaurant right next to the airport (CMH) called the 94th Aero Squadron. Dinner between 7 and 9 followed by live music until a little after midnight. And yes, I do know how to dance. Most of the music will be from the 1940s (so lots of swing dancing and foxtrots). The same band has been playing at this location every Thursday night for the last 30 years (but are switching to Wednesday this week for the year end celebration). By the time midnight rolls around, I'll be yawning since its past my bedtime, but I will be out cutting a rug and having a good time.

New Year's day will be low key (although most of my neighbors will we watching the hometown team in the Sugar Bowl).

However you celebrate, I hope it's fun. Happy New Year to all!

That's pretty interesting bejacob!  I'm sure if you can find a Marukai, Nijiya, Mitsuwa, etc market near you, you'll be able to find a osechi-ryori!  My grandparents usually pick up from Nijiya.  They're all over the west coast, though I'm not sure about further east.

That sounds like a great, classy time!  Big Band music used to be some of my favorite to play in high school, though I was never good at it.... lol!  And I'd be tired too following 3 hours of dancing & great music! 

tommo781 Silver 8 Reviews

Oh Dear!  We are rather unsociable when it comes to New Years Eve.  We usually stay in and watch a bit of TV!  But we do live about 5 miles from a working dock.  At midnight, all the ships sound their hooters/horns etc and the noise carries for miles and miles.  We always listen to that before going to bed.

But we do always have champagne followed by a large roast dinner with several guests on New Years Day at lunchtime.

Happy New Year to You All.

Woa, that sounds pretty interesting Tommo781!  Champagne and roast sounds like great times as well! 

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Like others here, I'm slowing down my New Years.

Used to be a major evening of down-the-pub, then after kick-out, poker till dawn, followed by a short nap and hair-of-the-dog as soon as the pub reopened at 11 on New Years day.

More recently Ive been with friends to the street parties in London, Manchester, Birmingham and, just a couple of years ago, Edinburgh, Edinburgh was particularly memorable as we stayed at the Marriott Dalmahoy Country Club. The hotel offered a free coach trip into Princes Street for the celebrations which were fabulous, then the coach back at 1am. When we awoke the following morning we found ourselves snowed in and spent the day with our friends and other guests making a giant anatomically correct snowman in the middle of the golf course, ably assisted by a few bottles of Scotland's finest. Let me tell you, The Dalmahoy is THE BEST place to get snowed in on New Years day!

Today I'll go down the pub next door for a couple of pints with father-in-law, return home once it starts to get rowdy and watch the new year on TV with the missus, in-laws and teenagers. Th, th, th, that's all folks!

Thinking back, I used to get up around 4am on New Years day to go to the Rose Bowl Parade and then if had game tickets would walk over and see it before heading home.  That is when I quite staying up to welcome the new year in.  Those days were very enjoyable but it became too much of a hassle with so many people wanting to do the same.  I am glad that I didn't plan to do this this year since it is expected to be 32 degrees in the morning.

This year would have been a good year to go to the Rose Bowl!  It was a good game  

Wrong kharada46, the Rose Bowl was a GREAT GAME!!!

erc Platinum

Good article in the paper today about how if the BCS was still alive, the championship game would have been an undefeated defending champion FSU vs. the SEC powerhouse Alabama, so here's to the playoff system. Hopefully, one day they'll go to an 8 team (3 game) playoff avoiding any TCU type oversight (missing out on #'s 8 or 9 is different than #4 or 5). August 30th - January 12 was certainly enough time to get the extra game in. But, like Rewards, I'll take what we get and be glad it's a good thing.

Yes, TCU was a huge miss in the system....another game is to simple not to play since most of the schools have three weeks off before the New Years Day time frame anyway.

bejacob, your hometown kids are sure on a ride, but I'm pretty sure they've not seen anything like the pace that the Ducks will toss at them which totally wore the Noles down and out.  Root on your hometown kids as I hope to see a great fun game.

Well, I wish I understood a word of that.  Do either of you brightlybob or arkwright?

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

I have a rough understanding from sitting in American sportsbars.

The discussion between bejacob and IAHFLYR concerns the game of football, where colleges of education field teams skilled in the sport played according to North American customs and rules hereinafter referred to as "American Football"  playing televised matched games on Saturdays and customary educational hiatus's hence:

bejacobs childhood town has a college team, colloquially named the "buckeyes" who are playing American Football jolly well and achieving unlikely results against other teams of college American Footballers that IAHFLYR understands to be of higher caliber, however said IAHFLYR strongly believes that another college team, given the informal name "ducks" are much faster and stronger than bejacobs "buckeyes" and the aforesaid colloquially named "buckeyes" will succumb to the more skillfull "ducks" hence losing the game. IAHFLYR draws support for this speculative opinion from a previous game of American Football played by the aforesaid "ducks" wherein the team displayed their superiority against another college of respected players carrying the monicker of "noles" and at the conclusion of play had scored more points hence winning the tie.

IAHFLYR concludes his missive that bejacob should favour the "buckeyes" with his support during the currency of the game which will most likely be highly entertaining.

I hope this helps, Tommo781

Great explanation, brightlybob. I wonder if we can find an American who could explain cricket in such clear terms. I rather doubt it.

Obviously I'm not an American, but to explain the rules of cricket to you bejacob in very simple terms:-

You have two sides, one out in the field and one in. Each man that's in the side that's in goes out, and when he's out he comes in and the next man goes in until he's out. When they are all out, the side that's out comes in and the side that's been in goes out and tries to get those coming in, out. Sometimes you get men still in and not out.

When a man goes out to go in, the men who are out try to get him out, and when he is out he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in. There are two men called umpires who stay out all the time and they decide when the men who are in are out. When both sides have been in and all the men have been out, and both sides have been out twice after all the men have been in, including those who are not out, that is the end of the game.

See  - Simple!

I'd simply be happy if brightlybob could explain to this Texan what the heck he wrote!!

Got it brightlybob.  A bit like the Canaries and the Tractor Boys then.

Quite the explanation and one which should go down in the "Hall of Insider Posts".

arkwright Platinum 2 Reviews

Hello Tommo and Brightly,

Very happy to leave it to you to decipher the post from our US colleague! Thank you.

As far as cricket goes, ...well, I played it for years, and remain a member of the MCC ( there's one for ERC and his chums to explore), but I think your summary was more than adequate.

A

erc Platinum

Tommo781, brightlybob and arkwright

I've eaten crickets*** (good protein) but that game is a bit of a sticky wicket for us colonialists to understand. Once, while at a stay at the old Marriott Sam Lord's Castle in Barbados, I watched about four hours of West Indies vs. England and thought I understood it, but then forgot stuff over the years.

Anyway, my good pal Sir Percy Hobgoblin said, if I ever wanted to learn the game - here's the scoop;

http://www.buzzfeed.com/awesomer/cricket-explained-by-an-american-whos-never-seen-cricket#.kkLrMAxgjq

Enjoy, and Happy New Years to all sportsmen; next month: Australian Rules Football

***thanks to tommo, 2015 I will consume my first bloatie (washed down with a Harvey's Sussex Best Bitter ).

What? No comments about my hometown Buckeyes (also my Alma Mater)?

I'll admit I didn't watch the game and was as surprised as anyone when I saw the score the following morning. Not bad for a team on their 3rd string QB although even I am wondering if the magic can last.

curiousone Platinum

Before we moved from San Diego to Phoenix my wife and I would book a party/room at one of the downtown hotels (this was before I became a Marriott points junkie) It was a great way to meet new people and we had some enjoyable new years evenings. When we moved to Phoenix we were shocked to find out that none of the hotels did new years eve parties. So now we watch the ball drop 2 time zones away and typically call it a night. However, there is always champagne involved during the evening. The last few years we have been getting invited to a new years day party at one of our friend's home. He is German and apparently it is a German tradition to eat pork and sauerkraut on new years day. So new years day we spend with 12 couples, drink wine and eat pork and sauerkraut. Not a bad start to a new year.

curiousone, that's an interesting and fun sounding way to ring in the New Year!

My sister shot this smartphone video a little over an hour ago from the neighborhood park where she lives in Sydney Harbour.

Happy New Year's from Down Under!

Enjoyable!  I really like Australia.  If it weren't so expensive and so far, I would get on a plane.

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

WE are fying back from family to atlanta to phoenix and will go to a house party but may see the ball drop at 10pm phx time

I know!  I was whining to my bro-in-law just yesterday about Qantas not letting you even see what seats are available for a given flight until after you buy your ticket (and then you have to pay to pick your seats unless premium economy or above).

He wasn't buying it.

He said 'Get over it and get your butt on a plane.'

Would that I could!

(He did not offer to buy the ticket! )

erc Platinum

John Thai, Klaus, and no doubt that sweet suite man dejamo

All send Happy New Years regards from Thailand!

Hi all,

No hard feelings, but for the most part I am severing my ties with MRI.  For the most part, it no longer is part of my travel experiences, and I am getting so much more (real money) from the somewhat similar Barclaycard travel section, where I can post reviews of everything.  I have found it a great experience, as I feel Marriott Insiders used to be, but now it seems like the corporate side took over. For me, I am no loss to Marriott, since I had two stays last year and 1 this month.

But although many other oldtimers are already gone, I wish you all well -- you are a great community.

ProfChiara

This is truly a very sad day for Insiders with our profchiara leaving.  Wish you all the best in your travels and health, you will be very missed.

profchiara I am sad you are leaving, but understand your reasons.  Perhaps, maybe, you could look in on us once in a while, and add your thoughts?  I know I would not be alone in welcoming your input.

gm1 Gold 1 Reviews

profchiara

I will miss your wonderful travel reports, photos and advice. You are one of the old timers who have provided so much to the site and made it what it once was.  The first time I signed onto the Insiders in 2011 it was your advice on Paris that I read.  The advice you provided was incredibly useful as I was planning my first overseas trip (Paris).  I am truly saddened to see you leave.  Best Wishes!  I second the motion of Tommo781.       

It is really sad.  Sad, sad, sad.    No offense to anyone else, but you are my favorite Insider and in fact, I'm sure you are a favorite to many.  Please reconsider!  Many of the people who originally drew me to this site on a daily basis have either "moved on" or else only post rarely.  It is a disappoint and speaks to their value.  One Insider who has been MIA for about a month now is jerrycoin.  He is sorely missed and valued by the community and I hope he knows just how much.  I use this site more for the social interaction with fellow travelers than anything else (which I value greatly) as well as for other travel news and tips beyond the scope of Marriott (the everlasting Aviation Geeks Unite! thread speaks to this.)

Please do take care, travel wise and safe, and often! and don't be a stranger.  (And I have your email, buhahahaha. )

Santé.

Same to all of you -- you're all like friends I haven't met.  Jerry has been off the site too -- he told me in advance that he too was disillusioned by the changes. I thought I'd write you all before I leave for Egypt today.  And yet another Marriott issue.  In Luxor I'm staying at the Hilton Luxor Resort & Spa, which is clearly the best hotel in town, but the night before I return I stay at the Renaissance Cairo Mirage City near the airport.  I fly from Luxor the 12th, and the Renaissance says you must notify for pickup 24 hours in advance.  There is no email to do it, and when I responded to the auto-email confirming my stay they said I would have to call to do so.  Is that not ridiculous?  Since I have a British cell phone it means it will probably actually be cheaper to call within Egypt from the Hilton.  I have said this before but it makes no sense for Marriott hotels not to have an easily accessible email to the manager or concierge desk.

Anyway, santé to all of you and Happy New Year!

ProfChiara

Well, I wish you well profchiara, as you know.  I had missed jerrycoin.  I have always found his input and advice very valuable.  I do hope he returns.

As to your comments about email etc, I have said this on several threads in the past, but nothing is ever done.

Enjoy Egypt!  I think this is an important trip for you as you have wanted to return for quite a while.  It seems much safer now.  I hope you'll do us the honor of providing a trip report upon your return.

Hi pluto,

I'm at the airport in Boston in the AF lounge (I waited in line to get my invitation from Alitalia this time though it makes no sense. Its FF business class to Rome then same to Cairo then I need to change from Terminal 1 to 3 but have four hours to do so for my trip to Luxor.  And I have been practicing Egyptian Arabic on Pimsleur tapes the past 10 days, so I know many ways of saying no from to no, thank you to more serious to --ss off.

You are right that I have wanted this so long, and it certainly seems safer than France right now. Plus I have been taking stock of health, working years left, salary left, etc. and I needed to do it.  I am also dressed in what almost looks like a body burqa and have a scarf ready to get out from my luggage when we land in Cairo. I know there's controversy where many Christian women don't want tourists to do so, but I would rather do 'as in Rome.'  I do fly back next Tuesday on AF so I hope they catch these horrible people soon.

And IAHFLYR, go ping Jerry -- you can tell him I'm checking out too...