9 Replies Latest reply: Dec 31, 2014 3:11 AM by erc RSS

Upgrade Disappointment - Kingston, NY

mybnj Platinum 10 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

eliteBooked a room at the Courtyard Kingston, NY.   I booked a suite for 179, and then cancelled it and booked a regular room at 149.  I already put out a few hundred skiing local resorts and my thinking was I could just request an upgrade as a Gold Eliete upon check-in since I had noticed the suites had been available for weeks, and right up until the night when I checked in they remained available. 

At check in, I requested an upgrade to the Suite to which the attendant sates "there are none available".  I then respond, there appear to be lots available on your website, to which he acknowledged and stated "there are only 3 rooms available for upgrade and they have been used up".

Curious to know whether this a marriott policy/decison or local management to offer only 3 rooms as upgrade eleigble while others are available yet appear to go idle overnight?  And where did the number 3 come from?  At least pick an even number, or have a make it a percent of rooms. 

Either way..... I love marriot brands and promote them often but this one left a bad taste in my mouth.  Ill be sure to share this experience across a range of travel and skiiing websites so maybe the hotel will pick up on it.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Upgrade Disappointment - Kingston, NY
    lindseyh Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Hi mybnj! Thanks again for taking the time to post!The specified item was not found. and I did some digging into your question, and found that room upgrades are a benefit for Gold members when they become available. Availability is determined by the properties themselves, not Marriott Rewards, so that number three is what the hotel happened to have open at the time. We also learned that these upgrade benefits are usually for better rooms within the same room type, and not a bump up to a higher room type.

Hope this helps! Feel free to reach out to us with any additional questions you have!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Thank you.  This is very useful info.

tommo781 Silver 8 Reviews

lindseyh  Does the upgrade being usually for better rooms apply to just the hotel in question, or Marriott hotels in general?  I ask because here in the UK I have been upgraded to much higher room types on several occasions.

skiadcock Platinum 4 Reviews

Quoting you:

"We also learned that these upgrade benefits are usually for better rooms within the same room type, and not a bump up to a higher room type."

My reply: Not true.  Wanted to correct that since some elites might think since you're the company rep, the info is accurate.

From the T&Cs:

"Upgrades may include rooms with desirable views, rooms on high floors, corner rooms, rooms with special amenities, rooms on Executive Floors, or suites."

Cheers.

tommo781 Silver 8 Reviews

That's what I thought skiadcock.  I was upgraded from a standard room to a top suite only 2 months ago.  There are 5 room types at the hotel, so I went from the 5th straight up to the 1st.

erc Platinum

Once again the value of the moderators is in clearly spelling out the 'formal' policies. Like several of the Rewards program benefit interpretations, room upgrades are essentially at the discretion of the specific property (and now even the Terms and Conditions have been revised to make it clear to us - "best wishes" ).

"Room upgrades are a benefit for Gold (or Plat) members when they become available. Availability is determined by the properties themselves" is to me, similar to, offers with rooms from $99 or discounts up to 80% off (or; no blackout dates, except these special blackout dates, hotel categories determined by redemption, plat premier determined by ooga booga, etc, etc.).

To me upgrades are a property by property decision and rather than hanging my hat on the benefits T&C

(where even the definition of an upgrade provides for ambiguity), I invest the time with the individual property, who nine times out of ten, are a pleasure dealing with.

The actual T & C verbiage;

Complimentary Room Upgrade: Based on room availability at check-in and limited to a Member's personal guestroom. Upgrades may include rooms with desirable views, rooms on high floors, corner rooms, rooms with special amenities, rooms on Executive Floors, or suites. All upgrades are granted on a space-available basis, as determined at the time of check-in. Upgrades are subject to availability and identified by each hotel

It's good knowing going in, what the situation is, thus avoiding unrealistic expectations, so once again, thanks to lindseyh for shining the light on the policy and just how nebulous it is. Go man, go.

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

As the other posters have mentioned upgrades are basically up to the individual properties. While I completely agree with you that if a suite or especially a few suites are available than an upgrade is warranted. I know the T&C might not explicitly say that suites are not upgrades but we all know that we are loyal to Marriott as Gold and Plats in order to get upgrades and suites. Some front desk staffers simply don't give them no matter how many suites might be available. They are either trained to say they aren't available or are too lazy to look and change the reservation. I find that if an upgrade is that important to you, contact the property ahead of time and request it. I find that really helps.

Thanks for the replies.  It is useful to see the different opinions.    I guess in my mind an upgrade is defined as something that carries value (i.e., paying 149 for a room, and then getting an upgrade to a room that was available, and would have cost more i.e., a suite for 179,  but since it was going unused so they offered it to you instead).    If there are 10 room types but  all cost 149 a night, it sounds more like a game or a scam to offer a different room type that could have been booked by anyone at the same cost as at the same cost as the upgrade.  I guess the attendant shouldn't have told me there were lots of suites  available, but capped at 3 as upgrade eligible. 

erc Platinum

I'm in agreement mybnj. The original policy, years back, was an elite would be upgraded when a suite was available. As the number of elites grew exponentially, that of course lead to operating headaches and front desk brushups, so the language was changed to make it a much broader interpretation of what an upgrade is/was.

I believe you are correct; the training will come in informing the attendant not to discuss suites, period.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...