11 Replies Latest reply: Apr 14, 2015 11:45 AM by anonmaster RSS

Random Call from Marriott

jamesdean Platinum 1 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Happy New Year!!

Just wondering if anyone has received a call from a person saying they are from Marriott Hotels saying "you have been selected for a free stay at one our our 5 star hotels"

I basically ended the call because I'm thinking this is not a typical of Marriottt do such a thing. Just wondering if anyone else has received such a call.

JD

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Random Call from Marriott
    Sledchick Platinum 9 Reviews

I received a similar call from Marriott about a month ago along the same lines, talking about visiting a time share and taking a presentation for the free stay -- I passed on that!  The associate was very nice and was polite when I declined.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

lindseyh Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Hey jamesdean, thanks for sharing this. Could you send me a private message with the phone number that called you? I'd like to pass it on to a member of our team to look into, in case there is something weird going on! Thanks a lot!

Thanx Lindseyh, I will certainly do that, I have the number stored in my cell plus the name that showed up.

JD

KatieC Member

Happy New Year, jamesdean and Sledchick!

lindseyh looked into this for you:

These calls are NOT coming from a Marriott source.  We encourage you to report the calls to your local FCC. The following site has tips for dealing with phone scams: http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0076-phone-scams

Sorry you've had to deal with this, and thanks for keeping us in the loop.

bpelican Platinum 57 Reviews

Thanks for your quick response to this post, KatieC, and your useful information.  Unfortunately, these kind of calls (not just Marriott oriented) are becoming more prevalent and seem to especially focus on senior citizens.  Appreciate your very relevant post.

Sledchick Platinum 9 Reviews

And Happy New Year to you, too!  Thanks for the info.

Good work KatieC & lindseyh for the follow-up and rapid response to this annoyance and clarifying what I assumed right off the bat "this was not a Marriott call" they obviously have more class than that.

Take care,

JD

doddsy69 Platinum 8 Reviews

Same here  it's a time share

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Get yourselves on the national and state no call lists.  They last for a year so you'll have to remember to renew them, but we seldom get calls at home and if we do I simply go to our service provider and block that number from calling.

superchief1 Platinum

Marriott Vacationclub International is the former timeshare unit that spun off from Marriott. Their representatives may call people to invite them to a presentation in conjunction with a special offer for a discounted stay. My experience has been that they only call people who were referred to them by current MVC owners. I doubt that your calls were from MVC reps, but from other timeshare sales companies.

anonmaster Gold

I got 3 such identical calls in the last 3 days. The message is not even a human recording, but rather a text-to-speech recording. That was the first giveaway for me that it was a scam. I never pressed 1 and hung up all 3 times. It is certainly a nuisance. And the caller ID on all 3 calls had the same NPANXX (first 6 digits of the number) as my telephone number. I would just like to know where they got my number from. Has Marriott Rewards been breached and customer information pulled out of the Marriott Rewards customer database? How else would these scammers have our phone numbers and know to reach Marriott customers?