93 Replies Latest reply: Jan 10, 2016 1:11 PM by iahflyr RSS

Mobile check-in and upgrades

ktquig Gold
Currently Being Moderated

I've recently started using the mobile check-in service and wondering if anyone has had luck with upgrades when they use this check-in procedure?  I do know that by using it I can let the hotel know what time I will arrive, which could be earlier than their set time, and my room will be ready when I walk thru the door.  However, as a Gold Elite member I've noticed it is harder to achieve an upgrade when I do use mobile check-in.  Most times it's no big deal but on occasion I'd like the special extras.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Mobile check-in and upgrades
    bpelican Platinum 57 Reviews

Great post.  I used mobile check-in early on, but also thought that it cut out some of your "negotiating" for upgrades capability.  In properties that I frequent, they usually upgrade me automatically so it wouldn't make any difference, but with others I would be very skeptical.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

I used the Mobile Check-In last week in NYC and was upgraded, however I too am skeptical of just how often you may miss that upgrade using the Mobile Check-In.

We've asked before and not really gotten a clear answer about the upgrade system using the Mobile App, so let's ask again and see what NathalieF, The specified item was not found., KatieC or lindseyh can get from the "Greater Team"?

KatieC Member

We're on the case! Standby...

KatieC Member

Ok, here's the official word on this: Upgrades are based on availability upon arrival. Utilizing the mobile check-in feature does not have an impact on whether or not you get an upgrade. 

erc Platinum

And that's why we love you KatieC, great follow up, thank you. It's always helpful to know official policy and I appreciate you and the gang digging it up as effectively as you guys do.

PS - the official speed on the Capital Beltway around DC is 55 mph .

Thanks KatieC, and being the rabble-rousing former government employee that requires everything spelled out......arrival is defined as being on site or checking in using the Mobile App? 

KatieC Member

I will check on the exact wording, IAHFLYR.

KatieC,

Have you had a chance to get the definition of "arrival"?

lindseyh Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Hey IAHFLYR! KatieC and team looked into the definition. The term 'arrival' here is being used to describe the time of check-in, regardless if the guest is physically present or not. Let us know if you have any additional questions!

ndn Platinum

So it would seem then that it's a policy question whether one is upgraded. That is, at time of check in (whether by app or in person), if the hotel's policy is to upgrade an elite rewards member, the upgrade will occur; however, if the policy is to only upgrade upon request, the best method of checking in is in person to secure an upgrade.

skiadcock Platinum 4 Reviews

Two dif things happening in what you posted, so yes/no.

Cheers.

Lindsey and native, Sigh  I'm sure the internal paperwork says that and of course you have to quote that, but we all know from practical experience that the statement isn't true.

Good grief, you have enough examples in this thread alone where people have checked in and not been upgraded even though upgrades were available. You also have an example of someone who checked in via mobile app, was upgraded to the largest suite at mobile check in and then found out upon physical arrival that not only did he not get the suite, he didn't even get a room beyond basic.

This is not a personal diss,  but it's insulting to those of us who know better to be fed the company line when the reality Isn't that.

Cheers

tommo781 Gold 8 Reviews

I quite agree skiadcock .  I do not use apps so have never used mobile check in.  But even I can see what the issue appears to be.  I am guessing that even if someone has used mobile check in, there must be another stage to the process on arrival at the hotel.  The system has to know the guest has actually arrived, and a room key must be issued.  It seems to me that this is the point the upgrade actually kicks in.  So if someone has been told via a mobile check in that they have been upgraded, by not actually being at the hotel at the time, there is a window for the upgraded room to have been given to someone else by the front desk.

Feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

BUT I always thought this forum was the place for MRIs to relate their experiences, and for answers to be provided for anomolies.  I am not dissing anyone either, but there is more than one example on this thread of mobile upgrades promising one thing and on arrival the opposite happening.  Surely that needs a proper explanation rather than company policy - which is not what members have experienced - being quoted chapter and verse.

erc Platinum

skiadcock

Here's my take on the very same lindseyh, KatieC, official Marriott  response. Once again, in agreement with you, but from a different perspective (similar as we did on MRI forum -- is it just me?  ). I appreciate and respect your vigilance in keeping Marriott honest, but perhaps my 15 years experience with Dan Snyder and the Redskins, where we get outrageous explanations and a crappy product makes me careful what I hope for from Marriott (where at the very least, the product, both hotel and loyalty program, is excellent).

We (meaning Insiders in the thread) asked for Marriott's statement of policy. KatieC in her 12/23 10:46 pm response, told us the official answer (and as you comment above w/regards to lindsey's response, that's really all she can do, we don't expect her to say, "and I think it's a hill of beans" or even more subtly, even give us a 'wink, wink', as michellel2, given her rank, was occasionally able to do).

Next (12/24 9:59 am), IAHFLYR wanted a follow up clarification.  Lindsey provided a follow up 'official' answer and as you point out, we know from just reading this small thread, that the official policy is a bunch of bunk.

Now, here's where I take a different perspective from you. I am no longer insulted being fed the company line when reality is clearly different. I just take it as; "ok, that's the way you want to play, it's good that I know what I'm up against".

Marriott is approaching 50 million rewards members. I would dare say that 49 million or more of them, know far less than FlyerTalk and Insiders members. Official policy, however contradictory to us "in the know",  often times provides the necessary stability for the operation of the program. It also provides, IMO, a well deserved, occasional window of opportunity for folks like you, me, and the number of Insiders that consistently take the time to provide specific answers to requests for info of several of those 49 million
                    Best hotel for Orlando Theme Parks  often never to be acknowledged whether info was even received. I am concerned that if Marriott is pushed into a corner about stating policy, they might just go 'ironclad' (like in the United litigation over the one way fare app), and the ambiguity that often provides opportunity, is removed (that's why, I've learned not to get hung up on the upgrade policy, but just to pursue {successfully so} what I want; or why I've adapted to the wacky MegaBonus format, where I must call every time to revise my offer - at least, I finally get one that is viable).

So in summary; I agree with you assessment; that's why I tongue in cheek pointed out to KatieC what the official Beltway speed limit was (as in, no one follows it), but I do want to avoid (as did you and Tommo781 making clear, no personal diss to lindsey, so this message is meant more for all readers) hammering the moderators so much, who are often put in those ridiculous positions by their client, that it impacts their interaction (as the infamous, "hair on fire" atmosphere at FlyerTalk did to michellel2 - and I don't care who's right or wrong, the interaction dropped from that point on). Certainly no wimpiness on my part, I am more likely to focus (as I have done before with all of the moderators, feel free to jump in The specified item was not found. ) on the fact that IAH's question was posted Christmas Eve and almost lost (requiring an IAH follow up) over the holidays.

My current opinion is that moderators and NathalieF provide us worthwhile information (however ludicrous it appears at times) aiding us in our attempt to maximize our interaction with the far more relatively powerful Rewards program and that I need every scrap of info (thus the tremendous value of FlyerTalk) I can assemble to take on The Man and his evil sidekick, The Greater Team.

Cheers to you ski, I greatly appreciate your participation.  Keep on keepin' on

Very well written erc, and thank you lindseyh for your follow-up on this.  I simply wanted to know the official Marriott answer and now we have the word.  It doesn't really matter to me what the answer was, but like ERC "I know what I'm up against"!

ndn Platinum

I fully understand your frustrations, but I am a bit unsure that they are ALL valid. For example, having to call for a different bonus offer really isn't a frustration. It is Marriott's system that is making the offers--presumably for a reason (e.g., to try and increase the number of stays or nights or extract some other value from the chain).

erc Platinum

If the purpose of a bonus is understandably to increase business, and I have a stay history of X nights during a bonus offering period, offering me a bonus for staying 300% more than X is not mutually beneficial to either party. Marriott that has algorithmic models for determining competitor prices by city, night by night, certainly has the capability of providing bonus offerings with 'stretch' where both sides obtain worthwhile goals.

When I call to switch to a more reasonable offer (which as I stated, I'm at least glad that I can) I am always provided with the more mutually beneficial offer (which I'm certainly appreciative of). Unfortunately, this requires manual tracking by both the employee and myself and often requires a call back, post bonus period, a seemingly unnecessary chore for both busy parties.

To restate: my frustration isn't over not ending up with a fair/obtainable with stretch/goal congruent bonus offer; my frustration is over Time and Time again (as in always) having to do it manually, rather than Marriott using the available quantitative analysis available to their mult-billion dollar, industry leading, global organization (no different than I would be frustrated if I had to call property by property, to make my reservations).

PS - now, if you thought I was frustrated with the moderators over me having to call my MegaBonus every time - no, not at all, I agree with you, it's Marriott providing the offer, not the moderators.

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

As erc suggests, for a bonus to be meaningful, it has to be achievable. My current fall bonus require 25 paid nights. I'm at 9 so I will be calling before it ends to switch. Since most of my travel is leisure, even getting to 15 nights is a stretch (though I've done that a few time).

It's nice to be able to switch to a better offer. In this day and age, it seems hard to believe that manual tracking is still required. It shouldn't be that hard to remove a bonus offer and replace it with another.

Better yet, let us choose which bonus we want. No need to track manually and far fewer request to make changes. Simpler still, make one offer with tiered earnings (One MegaBonus For All - A Suggestion).

shakennotstirred Gold 4 Reviews

Thanks for the question and clarification!  I always try to use the mobile app at properties where it's available and have found that a quick question at check-in about whether the room they pre-checked me into was an upgrade will take care of the situation (if it wasn't, they have changed it quickly right then).

denisethom1 Platinum

Availability at check in.... so is the time when you use the mobile check in, the time you say you will arrive with the mobile check in or the actual check in - walk into the hotel????  I thought when you used the mobile check in they were assigning the room and checking you in to your room and the key is ready.

One would think, but not necessarily so. 

On Flyertalk there was a report of a Platinum member doing mobile check-in & finding out he had been upgraded to what was basically the largest suite in the property.  Calls the wife who is flying overseas to join him for a few days away from the kids.  She's all excited & arrives first to find out that not only did they not get the largest suite which showed on mobile check-in, they didn't even get a deluxe or superior room, but a basic room.  And insult to injury, her husband was flying in from his biz trip & arriving 5 hours after her & the property wouldn't let her have access to the (large) executive lounge until his arrival. 

The Plat member thought when he did mobile check in, they assigned & checked him into the room so he & spouse were good to go.  Obviously that's not the case.  Even if you do mobile check in, any upgrade is not guaranteed until you arrive to the property.

Cheers.

ktquig Gold

Thanks everyone for the responses!  I'm new to Insiders and realizing how helpful this site is going to be as I travel more and more.  Happy holidays to all

tommo781 Gold 8 Reviews

You are very welcome to the community ktquig.  Happy Xmas to you as well.

unicornma Member

I don't think mobile check in will prevent you from getting an upgrade.

jm1991 Gold 3 Reviews

i would think being more personal with the front desk would get you a better chance, ive used mobile check in before though and i still got upgraded by request.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

I finally got brave and started using mobile check-in recently.  I am 3 for 3 as far as room satisfaction/upgrades.  At two Ren's, we were "upgraded" to concierge level, one room had a great view, the other was not a suite, but VERY spacious.  The 3rd mobile check-in stay, I was upgraded to a full ocean view.  All of these stays were paid stays (but at very low rates).

Two things to note: 1) all stays were during the off season, so who knows if the "upgrades" would have been accommodated otherwise, 2) what constitutes a satisfactory upgrade varies from person to person (and also depending on the property type.)  For me, a larger room or a nice view is a bullseye, for some, nothing short of a suite will suffice, but that's another discussion (What is an acceptable upgrade vs. what technically constitutes an upgrade?)

One aspect of mobile check-in that I think may possibly be advantageous is that if I know I will be checking in "late" (say between 6-11pm), the earlier they know that I will be executing my reservation, perhaps the better my chances are for an upgrade (any available rooms for upgrade won't have already been given away to other hopeful fellow elites who have physically checked in before me.)  Maybe?  I agree with others that the face to face/rapport building opportunity with the FD folks can also be a positive factor.

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

I Think that also works with early

check in . At times i check in by 12 or so and nice when I get a " your toom is ready "

superchief1 Platinum

I don't know if I'm in the minority, but I prefer the personal check-in so I can determine what rooms are available. There are usually trade-offs between room location and the size/quality of the room. Since the purpose of my stays can vary, I prefer to know what the options are and make my choice. Therefore, I am reluctant to use the mobile check-in.

tommo781 Gold 8 Reviews

After some of the posts on this thread, I tend to agree with you superchief1.  Mind you, I am not into these App thingies anyway.  But even if I was, I think I would still rather deal direct, either at the check in desk or on the phone.

I used mobile check-in once and it turned out to be a good thing. The line at the front desk was rather long and I was able to walk right up to the mobile check-in desk and pick up my keys. As for upgrades, it didn't matter all that much since I was in town for just one night. In this instance saving the frustration of waiting in line was worth it.

I'll probably use mobile check-in occasionally, but will stick to my old ways most of the time.

mikiegfla Platinum 4 Reviews

I'm with you.

shakennotstirred Gold 4 Reviews

I agree, a choice or at least some assurance that upgrade consideration has occurred would be helpful and give incentive to use it.  I wish we could get a final acknowledgement message from the property that says something like:

"Thank you for using mobile check-in. Your room is ready and your keys will be waiting for you at the mobile check-in counter.  Based on your Gold Elite status, we have upgraded you to a

___ high floor room

___ room with a (river/lake/ocean/whatever) view

X   larger/corner room

___ (junior/executive/whatever) suite.

If this is not acceptable, please discuss with the front desk at check-in."

Or, if an upgrade wasn't available at the time, say so and mention to ask again for availability at check-in.

shakennotstirred,

That is a wonderful idea and one that Marriott should run with right to the top of the IT board of things to do!!

dyeliad Platinum 1 Reviews

Excellent idea! It would be so nice to know in advance.  It might also "lock in" the upgrade better (as I too have seen the change in the reservation to a great upgrade, only to be hugely disappointed on arrival!)

Just got an end of year email from Marriott, they say 2 million check-in's using the Mobile App.

erc Platinum

foxglove

Our strategy of being the last humans to want to use the front desk are coming true !

foxglove checks in at a JW in Indianapolis

using the Desktran 100

tommo781 Gold 8 Reviews

Hey erc.  Can I join that exclusive club too please!

That's not bad, but they still have a way to go.  Consider that Marriott has over 4,000 hotel properties worldwide.  Say average # of rooms is 100/property (some smaller, some higher), so potentially 400,000 rooms worldwide.  Multiply that by 365 nights for 146,000.000 room nights.  Average occupancy rate (based on 2013 #s per Marriott) is 68% so 99,280,000 possible check-ins.  So 2million isn't bad, but still isn't the norm for check-in - ie, only about 2%.  Granted those are just hypothetical #s.  Could be lower but you get the drift.

Cheers.

taxman193 Platinum 11 Reviews

I have used the mobile check-in many times. So far I have never been upgraded ( I am Platinum) and in some cases, I did not even get my room preference (i.e. high floor) but the coworker I was traveling with did not use mobile check-in and received a better room. I like the convenience of using the mobile check-in but I am skeptical that it provides the the best room available (regardless of upgrade) so I only use it once in while now when I really don't care about the room.

mikiegfla Platinum 4 Reviews

Many, many times when I check-in the rep will say to me, "let me see if I can get you a better room", at which point all I hear is the tapping of the Rollup/down key on the keyboard. Somehow I don't think the App would do that for me and is the reason I don't use it. Now if the App prompted me and asked which room I wanted, then I would change my attitude.

Jsucool76 Gold

+1 to this.

Similar to the virtual concierge email/link some hotels send out, where you can choose which room you want. If that app did that I'd be all about it.

ndn Platinum

I used the mobile app at CY in Chapel Hill, NC, and got upgraded to an executive suite; however, they said I was upgraded because I was the first to ever check in with the mobile app--not because of Gold status.

terere2 Platinum 5 Reviews

I have used mobile app several times.  The first time I was assigned a room that didn't match my preferences and reservation (king bed).  When I pointed out the discrepancy I was given a different, upgraded room.  Since that time I've received rooms on higher floors when checking in but I think that better options/upgrades would be offered by interacting with the FDC.

This reminds me of my 12/30 stay at the NYC Marriott Marquis two years ago.  I happened to check in a bit early and the agent noted that he a great room for me.  My family was surprised to find us on the CL with a fantastic Times Square view.  I'm convinced that there is no way I'd get that room type using the mobile app.

tommo781 Gold 8 Reviews

The more I read on this thread, the more I am convinced that it is better to check in at the desk, face to face!

doddsy69 Platinum 8 Reviews

Checked in for 2 rooms at Coral Springs marriott using the mobile app and got a message telling us our rooms were ready  both showing up on the app as concierge level rooms with balcony overlooking the golf course . When we arrived we were on the floor below with no balcony had to argue our case and dig our heels in 5 rooms later we got put up to the original rooms allocated on the app lucky for me I took a screenshot of the app

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Well, I think I will give this a go at the Marriott Copenhagen when I checkin on Thursday,  since I understand that with Northern Lights Cruises checkin there can lead to extraordinarily long queues...

tommo781 Gold 8 Reviews

Will you have time to go on The Demon at Tivoli Gardens brightlybob?

I must say my biggest disappointment when I visited Copenhagen was The Little Mermaid.  Coach loads of people jostling to get a view and photograph (zoom lens required) of a tiny little figure on a rock.

Alas, Tivoli closes in January, so I'll just have to satisfy myself with the Carlsberg factory tour instead!

tommo781 Gold 8 Reviews

Oh, I didn't realise that brightlybob.  I expect you are gutted!

erc Platinum

Here brightlybob use this, no one will know the difference.

Untitled-2.jpg

Heck, in a few years, you'll convince yourself you stood in line!

Tell these guys you want the Erc Elite Offer - pay twice for the first beer, get the second beer free.
            20140524_111249.jpg
                    Have a good time, eat some herring for me.

tommo781 Gold 8 Reviews

Hey, listern erc.  I've stood in that line for The Little Mermaid, and it is nowhere near as big as it looks on that photo!

As to the beer.  That ain't beer.  That's lager.  Where is the draught Harveys of Sussex bitter?

As to herring.  Now that is something I know a lot about.  I live on the East Coast of the UK.  Every Summer many years ago we had the Scottish fisher girls here for the herring season.  We had the top herring port in the world.  Seriously, if you are at all interested you might like to read this. BBC - Norfolk - Coast - Point 6 - South Quay

Herring.

Now there's the reason we invented the phrase "let's not and pretend we did"

Here you go, brightlybob.

A photo of a young bejaocb and his sister (circa 1975) by the aforementioned statue.

mermaid.jpg

Things have changed in the last 40 years so trying something like this today will likely earn you an appointment with the local constable.

superchief1 Platinum

I agree times have really changed. My dad took a picture of me with soldiers in Cuba (not sure whether they were the army or rebels) when we stopped there on a cruise when I was very young. I was holding a machine gun in the picture. Shortly thereafter, Cuba fell and the cruise ship we had been on burned and sank. Timing is everything.

Well thanks so much for the photos erc and bejacob, I think I'll miss the queues for the mermaid, add your photos to my album and pretend I did. That also gives me much more time for the Carlsberg tour.

My liver thanks you both...

superchief1 Platinum

About the only time I will use the mobile check-in is if I'm arriving late and want to make sure they hold my room. Even then, if it is a multiple night stay and room size/location is important to me, I will call the hotel. I just prefer the interaction with real people at the front desk. I do like the fact that the mobile check-in option should shorten the lines, although I wouldn't be surprised if the hotels cut staff and service.