5 Replies Latest reply: Dec 21, 2014 10:36 PM by pluto77 RSS

American Airlines Gold Status - What's it Worth?

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

AA has been sending me offers to buy Gold status for next year for $650.  I already get free bags and group 1 boarding with the AA Citi Mastercard, but no priority line at the front counter (I avoid front counters unless it's necessary to check a bag), although I am supposed to get priority line access at the front counter along with elite boarding privileges on AA flights due to my AS (Alaska) elite status (because they are partner airlines), but upon recent inquiry, one AA gate agent at JFK told me I was not entitled.  I think she was incorrect, unless AS is promising (in writing) it's elite flyers a reciprocal benefit from their partners which their partners (at least AA) are patently not honoring.  I also have TSA pre through Global Entry.

About the only thing I can see as a benefit (beyond what I already get with AS status, the AA credit card and Global Entry) from the gold status is that my main cabin extra seats can be purchased for 50% less, which with the flights I do, will really only cause me to break even.  Or at 24 hour check-in, if there are any of those seats left (usually middle seats, if any), complimentary. 

Does anyone here have gold status with AA, and how much benefit do you feel that it gives you, especially with regards to getting complimentary main cabin extra seating?

Thanks.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: American Airlines Gold Status - What's it Worth?
    jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

yes I do and this year I haven't been upgraded at all . so extra miles would be only other thing( higher match)

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

zukracer Alumni Steward Platinum 4 Reviews

That's a pile of money for very little, especially if you have the cards already.  I could see for platinum but not gold.  I'm EP with AA so been a while since I had gold status.  I have it through lifetime rights but also have their credit cards so get most of that stuff with the card.  As EP I get the run of the planes on AA metal, but USAir planes I still have to pay for choice seats...sux. 

When you get to platinum or EP you get some other on board perks, like free food/booze on eagle flights as plat/ep and free food in on mainline AA in coach as an EP.

I'd say keep your money and challenge for platinum if they are still doing that program.

patrish Platinum 5 Reviews

I Got the same "form email" however they offered it up for $499 but I really don't see that it could be a bargain.

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

I think US Air does or did this so now AA too.  I am platinum and really like the benefits but gold is like silver on United and that is OK but lacking   since you need to wait till check in to see if you get a preferred seat.  I get this at booking.

I would say, it depends on how often you will travel.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Thanks everyone for confirming my thoughts with your input. I just wanted to make sure I was considering all the facts.  I don't think I will even try for AA gold status next year.  I'll stick with AS.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...