23 Replies Latest reply: Mar 11, 2015 11:05 AM by seanjaz RSS

Getting lots and lots of points in short time

seanjaz Platinum 4 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I hope to go to Atlantis Cove for 10 days in January.

The good news is that rooms are available, and it would cost 440,000 points.

The bad news is that I only have 5k points.  (I am platinum member, and foolishly trader 360k points for 150k delta points)

Can anyone thing of any way to obtain that many points in 3 weeks?

I know I can buy 50k, this year, and 50k in early January.

I just applied for the Chase Marriott card, and if I get the bonus in time, I will get 70k points.

I am staying at a Marriott as we speak, and I believe at the end of the stay, I will qualify for 30k Mega bonus.

That leaves me short by 240k.  Does anyone know of any creative ways to get that many points in short time?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Getting lots and lots of points in short time
    vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

That's a lot of points to obtain in a 3 week time frame. If you have an United account you can covert your United Miles into Marriott Rewards Points.  The ratio is 1:1 and you can convert up to 50k miles per year.

http://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/mileageplus/transfer/hotelandcar.aspx

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

This is very helpful, thank you very much,  I was not aware that I could transfer UA miles to Marriott.

Now I just have to come up with another 170k, and I am there

maddashin Gold 1 Reviews

I Agree.  That is lots and lots of points.  i agree with the gentleman from england.

i Am retired so I rely on my senior discount.  i did not even make my gold status this years.  5 nights short.  But, i fonally made silver status lifetime.

That took forever!

One thing I do is shop the Marriott Shop My Way Mall.  I earn points through there too.  Everything I buy pretty kuch comes through there.

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

It seems an incredibly huge amount of points to me. Is it really worth it?  Wouldn't it be better not to use all the points you can round up (and pay instead) and then have lots of points for the next time you want to stay at another property?

I think the most of points I ever used (back when I was PP) was 140,000 in Rome at the Flora for about a week.

Is it worth it to use 440k Marriott Reward point?  well, it would cost about $8k to use dollars, so I think it's great value.

Is it worth it to get the points by buying 50k using cash, and transferring 50k UA miles each year?  The math would suggest not

rlswider Platinum 7 Reviews

Why 440K points not 360 K points 5th night free ?  cat 9  = 45K points a night right 

standard rooms are sold out.  deluxe rooms are 55000. you get 5 for price of 4, so 220k for 5 nights, 440k for 10 nights

jm1991 Gold 3 Reviews

wow, seems like an impossible task to accomplish. Maybe refer friends to marriott? i believe you get 2k points after each stay upto 10k and you can refer 5 people each year. If any colleagues arent members then you may be able to refer them, they also get 2k bonus. If all fails, i would just look into points+cash rates

By the way, the ritz carlton card is now offering 140K sign up bonus after spending 3k in 3 months. There is a hefty annual fee but you could take advantage of the airline credit.

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Wow, do you realise how many points 440,000 points really are?

I'm a UK Plat who has stayed 82 nights this year earning 426,000 points as follows:

Hotel spend 180,000pts, thats spending $18,000net ($20,000gross) over 82 nights.

Plat bonus 90,000 (50% plat bonus on above)

Plat Arrival bonuses 26,000 (52 stays)

Megabonuses 130,000

5 years earning like that makes lifetime platinum points!

IN short 440k points is a huge bucket of points. Booking 80 nights @$250/night, all 1-nighters (to maximise the arrival bonuses) over a year (for the megabonuses) will get you there. You've got 3 weeks!

Yes, there are opportunities to pump up your balance, apply for credit card for the sign-up bonuses, US Ritz C/C is a spectacular 140k but has a very big fee. Signup friends, headline max points are 50,000, but that's limited to 5 friends and you don't get points until they stay. Alas, Marriott is not like IHG where you can sign up for unlimited codes and make 50k from a 1 night $40 hotel visit!

erc Platinum

Brainstorming, to get the creative juices flowing;

1) a spouse or domestic partner can transfer points, so find someone with the needed points and marry him or her. Domestic partners can also transfer points, so find someone and 'domesticate' them

2) find someone with the needed points and have them make a reservation in your name using those points, cutting whatever deal the two of you feel equitable

The clock's ticking.....Go man, go.  Good luck

ps - I'm fascinated by the viewership topics like this (admittedly, it sucked me in) or Do You take your shoes off (and do your feet stink if so)? generate as compared to a travel post, a well crafted blog or photo album. We're all apparently looking for a silver bullet to Stick it to the Man (yeah baby).

I imagine the post, "Take your shoes off in the new Millennial inspired lobby and win points"  would top 1,000 views .

Keep on keepin' on Insiders, the answer is out there (apparently).

Thanks, very helpful.

LOL at idea 1

Idea 2 has merit, and I will pursue it.  I have plenty of British Air, American Airline, Alaska Airlines and other hotel points, and I can probably make a deal with someone.

Thanks again for the idea.

If I fail, I will simply pay for my trip, and make sure I have 440k next year for the same trip.  This is an annual trip for me, and so far I have been staying at the Hilton in Nassau (I am also a Hilton Diamond member).  but now that Atlantis is a marriott, I am changing my ways

Here is an update:

I gave up on the idea of getting the points before this trip.  The credit card bonus of 70k, and the mega bonus of 30k will not make it on time.

so I will shoot to stay at the cove for free for 10 days in 2016.

But I am still going to the Atlantis in January of this year.  I plan to stay at three towers, the Royal Towers, the Reef and the Cove.

I promise to post a full review of each tower on this board.  I myself am very curious to see how they will treat platinum members

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

seanjaz,

Not sure if you saw this or not but the Ritz Card currently has a 140k offer and you don't have to switch to Ritz Rewards to get the bonus.  Just use your Marriott Rewards number in the application.

http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/thread/17694

very helpful, thanks.

Do they offer this deal every once in a  while?  I am tempted to do it next year

Jsucool76 Gold

According to a few private bankers from Chase, this offer comes out every so often.

I've personally only seen it once before, and it was offered alongside a 70k waived annual fee offer.

I jumped on this one no questions asked though. 140k points is a darn good deal along with the $300 airfare credit (annually).

Plus the card is maybe twice (or more) the weight of the marriott premier card, makes a nice CLANG when you drop it. It's solid metal as opposed to the "metal core" marriott card.

shakennotstirred Gold 4 Reviews

Can't wait to see your review!  Ever since the announcement, Atlantis has moved to the top of the list for a family trip.

well, my stay will start tomorrow.  I will spend two days at the Atlantis Reef, two days at the Royal Tower, and three days at the cover.  One problem is that Atlantis does not show up on the list of hotels that you can do a review for!   if they have not fixed it by the come I want to write my reviews, I will simply post my review here.

skiadcock Platinum 4 Reviews

OMG - I hope you have better luck than everyone else who has stayed at Atlantis.  Major fees, non-access to a lot of things.  It's officially OFF the list for some Insiders & Flyertalkers.  Check the other thread on Insiders re: Atlantis in the Other Topics Forum. Count your blessings that you didn't burn 440K points. 

Cheers.

Here is an update

I am up to 300k points

• 140k bonus for Ritz card
    • 70k for Marriott card
    • 25 for fall mega reward
    • 5k in credit card points
    • the balance in hotels stays

there is a problem with my credit card bonus.  the 5k I spent in the Atlantis is categorized under non Marriott spend.  By every definition, it should count as a Marriott spend.  I have emailed chase, and will let everyone know what they say.

If I resolve that, that should get me another 20k points.  I fully intend to qualify for winter bonus for 25k.

bottom-line, I will stay at the Atlantis cove for 10 days next year, using points

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Wow, your accumulation rate is very impressive, I only wish we in the UK had the same opportunities as you guys! It's a pity you couldn't make the 440k in 3 weeks, that would have been a real feat, but happy to see you'll make the trip in 2016...

Yes, obviously it could not be done without the credit card bonus points.

the lesson learned is that an active traveler can do it within 8 weeks, but not in 3 weeks.

It takes a week or so to get the credit cards, but you get the bonus a month later after the first bill.

as it turned out, for me, cancelling the Marriott card a couple of years ago was a good decision, it allowed me to reapply for it.

I will probably cancel it again at the end of this year.  As someone else mentioned, one of the best features of Marrriott is that you get one night counted towards elite status for every $3k you spend.  That is very valuable until you make lifetime Platinum.  then it has no value to you

kraziheys Member

ask your friends to share, or they can donate points to you

Just a quick update.  I sent emails to Marriott and chase about not getting the 5x multiple for my credit card spend on Atlantis.  They (Marriott) responded by confirming that it was in fact an error, and that I will receive the balance in next month's statement.

so here is my latest update

I am now up to 373,000 points.  I got 210,000 from credit card sign on bonuses, 50,000 of it from Marriott reward promotions, and the rest from hotels stays, and credit card bonuses related to the stays.

So my conclusion is that it was unrealistic to try to get 400k points in a few weeks, but very viable to get 400k points in 2-3 months.

thanks, everyone for all your input and suggestion.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...