13 Replies Latest reply: Dec 17, 2014 6:38 PM by erc RSS

Insiders and the Travel Brilliantly Winner

erc Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I ventured over to Marriott's Travel Brilliantly Twitter account (you don't need to tweet, can just read) and strolled among the pictures and taglines, unaware that it was all Marriott content/ads. I thought I would be seeing guest interaction. As I was about to depart, I came upon the winner of this year's Travel Brilliantly contest. Always interested in ways of enhancing my travels, I clicked on the following link and watched the two minute summary - fascinating.

http://travel-brilliantly.marriott.com/your-ideas/style-and-design/hv9iqc

In case you didn't watch, here are the key points of why Digital Guest Walls, where travel information from hotel guests will be on a wall, was this years winner (out of 750 submissions);

Here's what the judges (as did I) found attractive about the concept;

a) Peer to Peer Recommendations
  b) Crowd Wisdom
  c) Guest Sharing
  d) Global Connection
  e) Local Experiences

I thought to myself - gee, that sounds familiar
, essentially, Insiders on a CY Go Board Digital Wall, hard to argue with that. Of course it will be up to Marriott to implement the technology in a way that the data converts to information, remains timely and relevant, and credibly valid. It would be worthwhile, after all of the fanfare, to know the status of last years winner, the healthy vending machine. I also like to visualize how the judges would rate the Digital Wall idea if it came from a boomer  .

Being that I had just seen and heard the explanation, I almost skipped Marriott's summary description (shown below) of the winner.....BUT WAIT, a shiny object; the word points caught my attention! To give you a feeling of how it jumped out at me, I enlarged and underlined for your viewing pleasure.

Digital Guest Walls 

Have large digital panels in The Marriott in strategic locations, e.g. lifts (see, we love you too Brits), reception, gym. Current and past guests can then submit online photos, drawings and travel tips from their stay, which are then shown on the digital wall, e.g. a photo of a restaurant they went to and a review of it or an unusual sight they saw. They can then accrue points at the Marriott for their submissions. The entries onto the wall would constantly change, creating an up-to-date travel guide for guests.

As Marriott began shifting their focus toward a new target audience a couple of years ago, my marketing instincts reminded me I'd better start learning what the new target audience likes (similar to a team that spends big dollars signing a first round draft pick, once a strategy has big bucks behind it, it's sometimes hard to alter, if for no other reason than the decision makers have personal and sometimes egotistical "skin in the game"). Marriott has successfully captured significant media fanfare with their FlashPerksLocalPerks, Badges, CyberMonday, PointsPlus, Facebook Contests, and Travel Brilliantly campaigns, leaving some of us to inquire, is there any there, there? Regardless of the answer, expect more of the same in the future.

The first rule of marketing is - know your audience

http://www.cmswire.com/images/2-Rackspace-GIF-Animation_MillennialsValuev2%202.gif

This is why it's important for Insiders to continue appreciating our current millennial members, attract more of them, and listen to what they value. We've done that and discovered several similarities in values. Now I intend to observe, how they value those values, because that seems to really capture Marriott's attention and may provide a heads up of what's coming down the pike.

What say you, non-digital wall contributors?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Insiders and the Travel Brilliantly Winner
    iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

I'm too stunned to proceed to the link......you the CEO of "Geezer Status" found something called Tweeter?  HUH, how do you find it and what is it?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

erc Platinum

Well, seeing that my bona fides of Geezerhood are in question, I guess I'd better come clean. An athlete I coached told me to look at some sports related "re-tweets"

(which I guess looks something like this) .

I proudly stated I wasn't on Twitter, he replied, "you don't have to be Mr. Flintstone". So on it I went. Afterwards I typed in something (I can't find it now ) that lead me to the above link. Smart enough to know that I probably wouldn't ever find it again, I saved the link (an experienced caveman) and the rest is history.

I think I just answered my question of what would the judges think

if the Digital Wall idea came from a Boomer.

Geezerhood status retained

LOL, status votes are in and you out pointed Marcus Mariota by garnering 99.99% of the votes.

Congrats to Katheryn for her winning idea.  I know that I don't want a closet full of clothes waiting for me when I arrive, it seems they are already attempting to keep us Insiders away from wearing our favorite outrageous shirts/sweaters.

foxglove Silver 3 Reviews

"I had a travel book with me, and it was really thick, and it was pages and pages and pages of information..."

Okay, leaving the really thick travel book at home might lessen the packing load. But I think I'll continue to pack it anyway, read and study it in my room or suite, and then on my way out try to circumvent the crowd at the digital wall straining to see if their contributions had been posted yet. (And near the elevator is not a good choice for screen placement.)

Personally, I'd rather have either the "multi-tasking neck pillow," with sound cancellation, massage, and entertainment options, or the "scootcase," a self-propelled suitcase you ride through the airport. Now that's something this geezer could adopt in a minute. And oh, yeah, thumbs down on the "rental workout togs."

erc Platinum

Man, you are a professor, for sure. You went deep into the weeds. Thanks for flushing it out. Now get back in your rocker and chill out, no one's going to make you wear 'bowling shoe' workout clothes .

I don't bowl, primarily for that reason. So you can imagine what I think about (to borrow from Seinfeld) having someone else's guys in my workout clothes.

Btw, the Marriott login site has been down most of the afternoon. I talked to a really weary (but helpful) customer service rep who said they'd been inundated with "What the heck's goin' on?"s all afternoon. It's obviously back up now, though (since I was just able to log on). It would really be helpful if they had a "Sorry, but we're having technical issues. Try back later" message instead of telling the Rewards member that their password or member ID had been entered incorrectly.

Or better yet give us all Cat 9 Certs for each hour it was out for those of us who kept diligently attempting to access our accounts.

IAHFLYR Now that's a brilliant travel suggestion I could definitely get behind and run with -- on my scootcase, of course. And erc, man, I took microbiology. Ohhh, the horrror....

tommo781 Gold 8 Reviews

It happened again this morning .  Down for about an hour but is OK now.

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

I like the idea of points for photos!

erc Platinum

All of the technical issues Insiders have faced addressing this topic, highlight the challenge I outlined above:

"Of course it will be up to Marriott to implement the technology in a way that the data converts to information, remains timely and relevant, and credibly valid".

We have seen instances before where Marriott attempts to execute what they regard as a 'brilliant' idea, only to have them trip over their own two technical feet (PointsPlus come to mind, Lifetime points, Badges, many of the FlashPerks had purchasing issues, the first CyberMonday drove Pluto and others wild, and on and on).

Here's a TravelBrilliantly idea Marriott: get your I.T. up to speed to equal all of these cutting edge ideas .

erc Platinum

Well doggone, I had read about this a while back on some Marriott press releases (and they just released another one today) and went on my way. It was mostly discussing how Marriott has built a division Content Studio for the purpose of reaching its newest target audience, The Millennial (not to be as feared as The Greater Team) by the relatively new customer-centric style of marketing; building relationships with consumers through sharing ideas and then, ever so carefully, informing their new pals that "hey, and by the way, we sell hotel rooms also" .

Now going back, I reviewed the original article I read

Macy’s, Marriott approach SnapChat very differently as platform’s influence grows- Mobile Marketer - Strategy

where it's final paragraph is “People love to tell stories,” Mr. Beebe said. “It comes naturally they spend our lives telling them. Stories and narratives provide feeling, and it’s that emotional connection that will resonate with Snapchat users.”

So essentially it's once again, like above, it's Insiders, only in the newer media (Snapchat/YouTube) reaching a younger demographic in hopes of encapsulating a certain lifestyle which their core brand aptly named 'lifestyle', no doubt offers.

Nuts, I guess I'll miss all the action.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...