5 Replies Latest reply: Dec 18, 2014 9:25 AM by Jsucool76 RSS

What can be done about night and point credits when booking through expedia?

country Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

My company has forced me to book through Egencia (expedia company) and now it seems there is no way to get points or even night credits. When checking the rates by booking through Egencia and booking with Marriott like I used to do, the rates are the same. With the same nightly rate, it doesn't make sense that there would be no points attached. I would hope we could at least get credit for the night stay, even if there were no points.

Has anyone else dealt with this? It's very frustrating to look ahead and realize my Platinum status won't be maintained. The experience of staying at the Marriott properties is not the same as when I could check in as a Platinum member.

I love the Marriott properties and particulay enjoy the Ritz-Carlton, but with absolutely no incentive to book with Marriott I may choose to stay at another chain based on price or location. Up to now, I have made it my practice to always stay at Marriott properties, so I think it would make sense to still allow points for booking business travel. If nothing can be done then Marriott will be losing out on business that they and I have enjoyed for many years........

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: What can be done about night and point credits when booking through expedia?
    vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

country,

It's very unfortunate that your company is forcing you to use a 3rd party service to make your travel arrangements.  I'm guessing that the company is reaping some benefit in doing so. Even if you switched to another hotel brand I think you will encounter the same problem of not being able to earn points or elite status as most hotel companies will not give you points for stays made through a 3rd party service.  Both Marriott and Hilton are pretty firm on those rules.  I would try to show your employer that you are able to find the best deals on your own without using the 3rd party service.  Perhaps for one of your longer upcoming stays contact a Marriott property manager directly and negotiate a better rate.  Hopefully if you can show the company that your able to save them money they will let you book direct in the future.  Good Luck!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: What can be done about night and point credits when booking through expedia?
    tommo781 Gold 8 Reviews

vaboywnder is right.  As soon as an agent is involved, commissions start flying about, hence the Hotel chains do not then give points.  When you book direct, they don't have to pay commission to an agency, so reward points are basically the customer's commission for booking direct.

I had this when I was working.  I had to use a particular agent.  They got commissions from the hotels/railways/airlines etc.  Part of the commission was passed back to my employer for giving the agency all their travel bookings.  So the only way round it with Marriott is as vaboywnder says, try to negotiate with them direct.  If the saving is more than the commission your company gets from the agency, you might just win!

country Platinum

Thanks for the information and it confirms what I thought. I have a friend with Hilton honors and he is able to at least get credit for the nights stay without points. It doesn't seem Marriott will even credit a nights stay, absence the points.

Like I said, Marriott will lose out on business they could have had, if they would credit the traveler (me) with something then I would continue to book exclusively with Marriott. Now, I will stay based on convenience and price.

It is frustrating to be forced into booking with a 3rd party, the experience and room selection is sadly lacking....

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...