4 Replies Latest reply: Dec 16, 2014 1:09 PM by tommo781 RSS

London, West India Quay

tommo781 Silver 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I agree with brightlybob and erc that although Marriott is removing reviews from this site, they are a valuable resource being written by regular Marriott guests who know what to expect, so I've included my review here as well.

Mrs Tommo & I have just returned from an excellent 5 day stay at London, West India Quay.  Yes, it is in London Docklands, so not right in the middle of the city.  No, it isn't a problem to get to.  The transport links are excellent.  There is a Docklands Light Railway Station literally next door.  The Jubilee Line underground station is a short walk, and no further than underground stations in most of London.  The main attractions in London are easy to get to.

I booked this 5 day London pre Xmas trip with points, before the categories changed at the beginning of the year, so paid 120,000 points instead of 140,000.  Mrs Tommo subsequently contacted the hotel and asked for a price to upgrade to a Studio Suite, which is what we normally book.  £99 per night, which seemed very fair, so we accepted.  Last week we turned up to see the same lovely receptionist who checked us in for 2 nights in October, when we were upgraded us to a Curve Suite, their top room.  She recognised us, knew our name, and warmly welcomed us back.  She confirmed we were paying with points to which Mrs Tommo said "Yes, plus £99 per night upgrade".  "Oh no", she said.  "The upgrade is complimentary,and as we have also have a Curve Suite available, we have put you in there."

So there we were for 5 nights in a Curve Suite, for 120,000 points!!!!  We went into the lounge bar for an early meal the first evening, and the manager came straight over and said welcome back.  He asked us if we wanted our favourite table, which he had remembered as he showed us straight to it, and even remembered our drinks from our last visit in October.  When we returned to our suite there was a card welcoming us back to the hotel, and a lovely plate of fresh fruit.

So far so excellent!  The rest of our stay was equally superb.  Housekeeping, concierge, lounge hostesses etc - all excellent.

As to the hotel itself, it has a curved tower overlooking the dock.  The first 8 floors are the hotel.  Above that are apartments.  Behind the tower are 4 floors of rooms in a "box".  So the best rooms by far are in the tower overlooking the dock.  Try to get one of those.  The executive lounge has terrific views over the dock and is a very pleasant place to sit and relax.  The food offerings are OK, but not a massive choice.  Breakfast was plenty for us (sausage, bacon, scrambled egg, mushrooms, cerial, fruit, cold meat and fish, breads, pastries etc), but if you like  a large cooked breakfast, then go to the restaurant instead where there is a huge choice.  In the afternoon there is always some cake.  In the evenings there is a small selection of hot and cold savouries between 5:30 and 7:30, then dessert until 9:30.  During those 4 hours there is complementary beer and red and white wine.  Hot and cold drinks, (excellent coffee machine) biscuits, fresh fruit etc are available all day.

There are 2 very good shopping malls close by.  The hotel is surrounded by good bars and restaurants.  There are also plenty of food outlets in the malls if you want to get a snack, or take something to eat back to your room.

I know this hotel is not everyone's choice of where to stay in London, and some think it is primarily a business hotel.  But we have only ever gone there for leisure, and have loved it.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
London, England, United Kingdom Marriott Hotels & Resorts London Marriott Hotel West India Quay
  • Re: London, West India Quay
    brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Great review with the real details... Upgrades, booze and brekkie!

Its been off my list for a few years due to "meh" attitudes, but I will now give it another go. It's position is ok for London, the DLR is literally next door, change to tube at Bank, or just walk to Canary Wharf and catch the Jubilee line, you need the tube to see everything after all, no matter where you stay in London. I do visit regularly for both biz and leisure, so tend to sightsee around the hotel area, and this is within easy reach of Greenwich, dome, skytrain and the Cutty Sark plus walking distance of many excellent bars and restaurants at Canary Wharf, so it'll be nice to give it another go...

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Thanks brightlybob.  Your additional information about Greenwich is also very pertinent.  I should have put that in the first place!

gm1 Gold 1 Reviews

Tommo781

Thanks for taking the time to post a very informative review.  I have read other positive reviews of the West India Quay and it is now definitely on my radar should I have another opportunity to visit London.  The easy access to public transportation is always a plus.

Glad it is a help gm1

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...