54 Replies Latest reply: Jan 6, 2015 11:53 AM by bejacob RSS

What is your Spring 2015 MegaBonus offer?

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I've been hoping that the Certificate MegaBonus Offer would come back this Spring.

My offer was to earn up to 25,000 points by earning 2,500 additional points for each paid stay starting with the second stay between Feb 1st & April 30th.

MegaBonus.JPG

What was your Spring 2015 MegaBonus Offer?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: What is your Spring 2015 MegaBonus offer?
    erc Platinum

To earn up to 45,000 points:

• Register by March 31, 2015
    • Stay at participating properties between February 1 and April 30, 2015
    • Earn 25,000 points after 15 paid nights plus 2,000 points after every additional night, up to 45,000 bonus points

This marks the 86th (or it seems like it) CONSECUTIVE time I've had to call, change, monitor, and call to confirm. Oh well, at least we can still change, so whaddaya gonna do?!

As it relates to erc, Marriott's tagline for MegaBonus is not

but rather

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jl3549 Platinum

Same for me:

Make your reality more rewarding with MegaBonus.

To earn up to 45,000 points:

• Earn 25,000 points after 15 paid nights plus 2,000 points after every additional night, up to 45,000 bonus points

foxglove Silver 3 Reviews

Mine's the same as vaboywnder. First time ever it's not been a Cat 1-4 cert after 2 stays. I'm afraid that's not a good sign, and I'll be interested to see if anyone chimes in with a certs offer.

rwichowski Silver 1 Reviews

Same for me.

jimaruba Gold 1 Reviews

MegaBonus®

MegaBonus<sup>®</sup>

Earn up to 25,000 points for rewards you love — from little luxuries to big vacations.

See Details

To earn up to 25,000 points:

• Earn 2,500 points on every paid stay External Window, starting with your second stay, up to 25,000 bonus points

muppetwrangler Platinum 8 Reviews

I'd rather have the 45,000 points offer as I'd get 25,000 points after 15 paid nights instead of 20.  Bummer 

MegaBonus<sup>®</sup>

Earn up to 35,000 points for rewards you love — from little luxuries to big vacations.

See Details 

To earn up to 35,000 points:

• Earn 25,000 points after 20 paid nights plus 2,000 points after every additional night, up to 35,000 bonus points

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

Mine seems a little different than others: Its okay I guess....I still wish it was certs but oh well....

Earn up to 24,000 points for rewards you love — from little luxuries to big vacations.

See Details

To earn up to 24,000 points:

• Earn 2,000 points on every paid stay External Window, starting with your second stay, up to 24,000 bonus points

travelinvix Platinum

I got the 35,000 offer - 25k at 20 nights and 2k each for next 5 nights.

It seems odd to me that the 45,000 possible points offer is the same number of nights total for the maximum points.  25k comes at 15 nights, and the 2k for additional nights is another 10 nights.  Both are 25 nights total, but one has an extra 10k points?

I'll see if there are any even higher point offers this time around (last Megabonus I had the 55k points offer - long since maxed out) and call in to change my offer - I have an extended stay at a Residence Inn beginning in January and going through most of this promotion, so I'd get the 25 nights covered on the first 25 nights of the promotion.

erc Platinum

Here's the (unofficial) list on FlyerTalk and they're usually very accurate on the offers:

Spring MegaBonus 2015 Options:

• Earn 3,000 points on every paid stay, starting with your second stay, up to 24,000 bonus points
      • Earn 2,500 points on every paid stay, starting with your second stay, up to 25,000 bonus points
      • Earn 10,000 points after 10 paid nights plus 2,000 points with every additional night, up to 24,000 bonus points
      • Earn 25,000 points after 20 paid nights plus 2,000 points after every additional night, up to 35,000 bonus points
      • Earn 15,000 points after 15 paid nights plus 2,000 points with every additional night, up to 35,000 bonus points

So it appears, unless we hear otherwise, No Certificates and capped at 45,000 points

foxglove Silver 3 Reviews

And say I, "Booooo! (hoo)."

ne_traveling_man Platinum 8 Reviews

MMine is the 15K after 15 nights with max of 35K. Right now it looks like it will be close to make the 15 nights depending upon work travel by end of April. I got 6 nights for vacation so hopefully I can get at least 15k points..... Ahhhhh certificates, the good old days........

erc,

Thanks for the Unofficial Summary.  I think I may request to get switched to the 3,000 Points offer for each paid stay.  That will probably net me the most points for my planned travels in the Spring.

Really disappointed that we lost the MegaBonus Certificate option!

tombstone.jpg

vickisocal Platinum

Really would like to understand why some 25 night folks get 35K and some get 45K

That is a big difference.

erc Platinum

What's the difference between a plat premier and a plat?

How is plat premier determined?

Why no points for a no show cancellation that you pay for (even more relevant next year)?

Why no points for a $100+ dinner at Ritz Carlton?

How is Hotel Category determined? (redemption rates don't 'feed the bulldog')

Why do some folks get MegaBonus offers on line or through e-mail, others don't and those groups change?

and your worthwhile inquiry

How are MegaBonuses determined?

These and several other questions remained mysteries of the black arts, that only Marriott knows.

Oh Marriott, why do you do the voodoo that you do so well?

erc Platinum

Someone reported getting a MegaBonus offer with a 55k max.

35k for 20 nights    2k per additional up to a max of 55k - so there is one out there (call and get it)

Still no word though on anyone receiving certs.

So as Pete Townshend once sang;

"Meanwhile it's getting late at ten o'clock (whew, ain't that the truth for some of us? )
      Certs are dead they say,    long live certs

Long live certs, I need them every stay
      Long live certs, come on Marriott let's play
      Long live certs, be they dead or alive"

Rock on MegaBonus players

bigmike Platinum

For those members, like me, that are not offered a MegaBonus, follow the recommendation in the following message (thanks erc):

http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/message/103561#103561

Call 1 800 321 7396, bypass robot by saying "agent" twice, talk to the nice folks at Marriott Rewards and ask to be registered for the MegaBonus.

erc Platinum

You can also say, "I want to combine two Marriott accounts" which sends the robot's little brain into a fog and it promptly sends you to a nice warm blooded human being .

jm1991 Gold 3 Reviews

im happy i got the 3k per stay most of the times is only a 1 nighter when i need it.

gm1 Gold 1 Reviews

No Mega Bonus for me, oh well.  Though on second thought, this may be an omen of things to come.  I meticulously hung my stocking on the mantle this afternoon in preparation for the jolly, old fat man's arrival next week and now I am wondering if he too will stiff me with lumps of coal.

sunsoaker Platinum 3 Reviews

What used to be 50k points for me is now 35k. Not to mention most hotels I frequent are costing me more points needed to stay. The program has taken a turn for the worse. Now that I'm lifetime platinum I may start looking at others.

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

No MegaBonus yet. Looks like I'll have to make a call. On the plus side, I can ask for the bonus most suited to my travel plans. Might need to crank up the old spreadsheet as this could require some serious calculations.

Guess I just needed to wait an extra day. I now have a Spring MegaBonus.

I got the 35,000 points offer.

Specifically

• Earn 15,000 points after 15 paid nights plus 2,000 points with every additional night, up to 35,000 bonus points

Having not yet done any number crunching, I can't say whether this is the one I would have chosen, but it may work out. Currently have 13 nights planned, so I'll just need a couple more to get the 15,000 points.

erc Platinum

Along those lines, we have observed several Insiders not only being able to change their offers, but many able to change them well into the promotion, and a few who even had their offer (they were registered by the deadline) changed after the promo date!

Of course, there are numerous examples of the need to "customer service rep shop", folks getting turned down, once and sometimes twice before getting the offer that best fit their needs - so you never know.

So true.

On the current MegaBonus, I'm well below hitting the 25 nights I need to earn anything, but the couple times I've called to inquire about other issues, I also discussed changing to a more suitable offer. Each time it was suggested I wait until just before the bonus period ends to switch to a different offer. As the answers have been consistent, I have a reasonable expectation of success. I'll let you know how it works out in just under a month.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

My offer is the same as yours, vaboywnder:

Earn 2,500 points on every paid stay, starting with your second stay, up to 25,000 bonus points.

It's not much of an offer for me since I have two paid stays and two points stays planned, then a third paid stay, but it is a pre-paid 3 night (endure the sales pitch) vacation club stay.  The VC reservation does not show up on my reservation page.  Does anyone know if I get nights, points and stay credit for that deal?

Anyway, I would probably earn more bonus points if I had received the following offer:

Earn 10,000 points after 10 paid nights plus 2,000 points with every additional night, up to 24,000 bonus points.

The kicker is the "starting with your second stay" caveat.  I don't mean to be a whiner, but 2,500 bonus points for a total of 10 paid nights (over 3 paid stays) isn't much of a megabonus.  There is nothing "mega" about it.  This offer is  honestly disappointing.

erc Platinum

pluto77

Interesting post, it seemed your aggravation grew as you wrote . I've had pre-paids count and I've had vacation club stays counts, so I would certainly imagine that a pre-paid vacation club would count, but, it never hurts to know before hand.

I think given your scenario, you should just call Customer Service (bypassing the robot, should he answer, by saying, "I want to combine Marriott accounts"), confirm the answer on your pre-paid question and then request a switch to the 10 night MegaBonus offer -

Earn 10,000 points after 10 paid nights plus 2,000 points with every additional night, up to 24,000 bonus points.

Good luck whichever way you decide to go.

pluto77,

It's definitely a disappointing Mega Bonus Offer. Let us know how you come out with your upcoming Vacation Club stay.  I don't think the MVC stays which require attending a sales presentation earn points or elite nights.

erc Platinum

Yeah, good catch vaboy. I missed the part about the reservation not showing (I thought she was just going to a presentation like you did at Grande Vista). So if no credit for that vacation club stay, pluto, yeah, you only get 5k for 7 regular nights and 3 discounted nights (which I guess they consider like a third party deal or a super promo). Boy, don't we miss those certs (even if they had to be used at an out of town airport).

Yikes, that's right only two stays - so only 2, 500 points - ouch, sorry. They did have another offer: Earn 3,000 points on every paid stay that includes a Thursday, Friday, Saturday or Sunday — up to 24,000 bonus points (maxes out after 9 stays over weekend day). If you had two weekend stays, you would earn 6k, but you'd have to ask if it was worth, changing, monitoring, and calling back at the end for the extra 1k. Bummer, any way you look at it.

My reply is resembling yours now, I'm growing more frustrated the more I type. This time - The Man wins, sorry pal.

Erc, Vaboy and others,

So I called both MVCI and MR C/S and both indicated that the Vacation Club 3 night package (at a greatly reduced price, and no, of course I'm not expecting an ocean view, esp over Easter weekend) doesn't earn points or nights towards elite/lifetime status qualification or any bonus promotions (notice I left off the 'mega' ).

So the bad news is that as of present plans, I will only earn 2,500 bonus points (oh, I did ask about switching offers and the very courteous, customer service oriented associate said that the only offer that she was authorized to switch me to was:  Earn 25,000 points after 15 paid nights plus 2,000 points after every additional night, up to 45,000 bonus points.  As I only have 8 paid nights in the works, that's not gonna happen.  Now see, if they would've offered me the 10,000 points after 10 paid nights, I would've sprung for the two extra nights.  I would've felt appreciated by 10K extra points, Marriott would've received revenue for two more nights, a real win/win, but no.  Well, it's their game.)

The good news... The good news is that the MVCI folks gave me a $50 Amex gift card when I purchased the package, and they're giving me another one when I check in.  Also, during the promotion period I will be spending a total of 24 nights in Marriott beds at full service properties, and all at fantastic prices (or on points).  One cannot hardly complain about that.

Being a leisure traveler, I can't really complain too much about bonus promotions that amount to not much more than stay 15 nights (at medium level properties), get one (medium level) free.  I'm a bottom feeder after all.  The real disappointment I would think would be for the business folks who spend more time in Marriott beds than they do at home.  Reducing promotional offers from 55K points to 35K points, really is a slap in the face, and I feel ya, zukracer.

And for the record, I refuse to believe that our whining about the cat. 1-4 certs instead of cat. 5 certs (when most useable properties have increased to at least a cat. 5) are the reason that they're gone.  Frankly, I don't think we have that much power or influence.  Marriott simply nixed them because in these profitable times - they can.

The real win in these current climes of record corporate profits lurks in the Marriott pricing matrix and it's periodic deals.  Stay sharp, friends!

Glad to hear at least your getting $100 out of your MVC deal.  At least it's something since you will not be getting points or Elite night credits.

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

I just did one in Florida and didn't get points or nights.  It was like it was with another hotel chain.

Frogs Platinum 9 Reviews

Interesting .... I usually get the high point promotions.  I have the 35,000 ... I may have to call and ask for a higher point option since I will easily hit this before the promotion will be over.

tommo781 Gold 8 Reviews

I haven't got mine yet.  I'll leave it a couple of days and see what happens.

erc Platinum

NathalieF

Coming off of your recent victory of beating all others    to the Marriott/United Rewards Plus announcement, here's exactly the topic we discussed with Aron at the Insiders Get Together at the Mayflower (who asked for specific examples).

Steal a glance at the More Like This column (upper right). There's probably at least 10 similar threads (which might have been helpful for comparative purposes). Some of the logic in the More Like This arena, can be off the charts at times.

Carpe diem, you're on a hot streak .

bigmike Platinum

MB15-55K.jpg

elb157 Platinum 18 Reviews

That's what I got as well:

• Earn 35,000 points after 20 paid nights plus 2,000 points with every additional night, up to 55,000 bonus points

zukracer Alumni Steward Platinum 4 Reviews

So I got this one.... after seeing its not the big one, I'm pretty, well p!ssed about it.  I've maxed out every bonus that's come along in the past 3yrs so not sure which one of the marketing geniuses randomized my profile but s.c.r.e.w (seriously you can't say S.c.R.e.W on here?) em, I'm pretty sure Hilton has some promos running too.  Honestly if they are going to do promos they should reward the most loyal folks with the biggest points deals.

Earn up to 35,000 points for rewards you love — from little luxuries to big vacations.

See Details

erc Platinum

zukracer

It's fascinating to me, that Marriott with the capability to know competitor pricing for each hotel for each night, cannot use technology to craft a more well received MegaBonus. Every (and I do mean every) MegaBonus comes out and has a flurry of legitimate responses like yours, across the gamut of forums. Now, I'm not ruling out the possibility that millions are satisfied and remain quiet, but it just seems that Marriott, which is offering a bonus (which I and most all travelers, yourself included, appreciate) is falling short of optimizing the positive impact of what could be considered a generous customer relations promotion.

I also though, given the trends, am cautious about barking too loud, because we have had examples (can you say, Certificate?) where Marriott apparently sensing diminishing returns, just pulls the whole doggone thing.

On a side note - I wonder how their system (I can't imagine it's a human, because that would imply heavy reading of the posts) knows the difference between the forbidden word you mentioned used as a noun vs. as a verb . If they have the technology to do that, you would also think technology existed that could increase the positive impact of a promotional offer (without increasing costs).

Yeah I'm pretty amazed that they would allow such a s.crew up to happen.  I've actually slept 140 nights in a Marriott of some flavor this year with credit for over 220 elite nights on the year.  Similar to previous years having maintained PP status for quite some time.  It's enough of a slap in the face to someone that's already on the fence for next year given changes in my work locations to sit back and say "hmm ok, so I hear Hilton really is quite good, if slightly different"  and evaluate making the jump.

Loyalty is the one thing that the hotels, airlines,etc count on and we count on in our travels.  It is however very much a two way street.  Having achieved lifetime status with Marriott and spending a mountain of points, I've come to expect that my experience with Marriott should be excellent, even exemplary.  Over the years that is not always the case but when they can and should make the right decisions and don't it sometimes is just the little bump to cause people to change directions.

I'm sure they aren't pragmatically monitoring these threads for anything more than exact phrase matching, with out regards to use (as you mentioned)  and I'm sure doing so in any other capacity would be quite expensive.  That said we do have Marriott folks that tip toe through and hopefully are capturing these types of things and escalating them correctly internally.  There's been a number of folks that have very publicly stated their concerns and then left.  This site is a microcosm of the larger Marriott ecosystem, with a lot of top tier folks participating.  I would think Marriott would look at this like the golden goose but they seem, to your point about the certificates, not to listen to folks here.

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

25,000 for 15 paid nights.  This is like getting none for me.  I will try to call.

auntiesam Platinum

As a plat with 140 nights this year i was given:

Just called customer service and requested the offer that caps at 55,000. She said it was no problem. It would be manually tracked and the additional points added when the nights are completed.

Its great that they modified it for you but with that many nights you should have gotten the biggest deal going automagically (yes I spelled it exactly how it should work )  I hope they keep good track of it, I'm a little less trusting and like to see the little bar thingy growing after my stays post

tommo781 Gold 8 Reviews

Well I still haven't got mine!!  Should it be showing on all accounts now NathalieF?

erc Platinum

Tommo781

As I wrote in my voodoo doctor post above to vickisocal, oftentimes the promo never posts. The good news, you just call and have it assigned (of course, they will already have one for you which raises the question, well why didn't you, Marriott, just assign it?).

Plus the fact that it didn't show up this time is no indicator that it won't show up next time - it's all a mystery.

The good news - you can call anytime before the March 31 registration deadline (there have been examples of folks calling after the registration and still not having any problem getting an offer, but to me that's risky) and have one assigned. Take a look at the offers and know going in your preference and 'guide' the customer service rep toward the one you want.  Also, folks have done the above, not gotten what they wanted and successfully call back, gotten a different rep and gotten the offer they wanted. Good luck

nj_dave Platinum

Just wondering if anyone else tried to call to change their Spring '15 Megabonus from what they were given and denied.  I just called MR Customer Service and the woman told me that it "came down from corporate" that they are no longer allowed to change the Megabonuses.

As I mentioned above, I called to request a different offer, and was told I could change, but only to one other specific offer (there are a number of variations as mentioned above), but it also was of no use to me.  This was probably about 3 weeks ago.

If you're not sure, you could always call back and speak to a different associate and see if he/she has received the same "memo."  Best of luck.

Your best bet is to call again. Depending on who you talk to, you might get a different answer.

The last three customer service reps I discussed the issue with (when I called about something else) all told me that the best time to call is just before the bonus ends rather than before it starts, so keep that in mind. I'd be surprised to learn that bonuses can no longer be changed. Regardless, try again. Worst thing that happens is that you get the same answer. Even then, I'd make a third attempt.

Good luck.