28 Replies Latest reply: Jan 15, 2015 2:44 PM by profchiara RSS

Passport Renewal

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

My passport will expire in April.  I will be needing it in March.  I just sent my current one off in the mail along with my renewal application, etc.  This is the first time I have had to renew a passport.  Talk about being wrapped up in an object, I feel forlorn without it!  It is my most treasured travel souvenir.  Someone told me that they will send my old passport back (canceled) along with my new one.  Does anyone know if this is true?  I couldn't find anything about it on the State Department website.  I took photos of my old one, just in case I never see it again.  Also, does anyone know if when you travel with a passport that is very soon to expire, do any countries (particularly in the EU) typically deny entry because of it?

I love my passport!

IMAG4737w.jpgIMAG4744w.jpg

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Passport Renewal
    lindseyh Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

I'm with you, pluto77, my passport, and all the amazing stamps it holds, is a prized possession and something I want to keep forever! I have not yet had to renew mine, so I'm also interested to hear from other Insiders whether they've received their passports back after renewal.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

zukracer Alumni Steward Platinum 4 Reviews

I renewed mine in the past 2yrs.  I too was worried about getting it back but was happy to find that they simply punched a hole through it and sent it back to me with the new one.  I'm not home but will post up a picture Thursday when I get home.  It's now in the lock box with other valuable goodies

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

I am a UK national. My first passport was something I treasured. During the 1980s and until the mid 1990s wherever I travelled outside the UK my passport was stamped, Greece, France, Spain, Portugal, anywhere I flew ended up with another stamp on my busy, busy passport. Particularly interesting was the East German and "Checkpoint Charlie" stamps.

UK passport renewals result in the old passport being returned with the right hand corner snipped off. I treasured that old passport for 20 years, but alas it got lost during my divorce.

Nowadays with the EU, only long haul trips result in passport stamps, so my current passport is remarkably uncrowded and pretty dull, Canadian and U.S. stamps are boring. The only thing of interest is my Russian visa from 18 months ago when I visited Moscow. Cooo, was that expensive at 47 Roubles to the £. Today it's 107!

Finally to answer your question, most countries require the visitors passport to have a remaining validity of at least 6 months, but each country gets to set its own rules. With your passport expiring in April 2015, it's definitely time to renew...

tommo781 Silver 8 Reviews

Like brightlybob, my UK passports have always been returned.  I would hate to lose them, especially the one with an Antarctica stamp in it.  Yup, I claim bragging rights!  Not an official stamp of course, but a stamp nonetheless.  Here it is, together with other stamps from the same trip.

Passport 001.jpg

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

pluto77,

Yes they will return your previous passport as ZUK mentions, worry not but it won't be returned when your new one arrives as it comes in a different mailing.

I too had to renew mine yesterday as it expires in Feb. 2015.  My next issue will be to make sure my Global Entry gets updated with my new passport number as I believe they change it when you renew.  Oh yeah and also make sure the new number gets into my MileagePlus account so I continue to receive my TSA Pre-Check.

Happy and safe travels all.

IAHFLYR,

This is welcome news for many regarding reciprocity with Germany.  Thanks for posting.

"To register for EasyPASS, U.S. citizens must visit an enrollment center operated by the German Federal Police in Germany. Enrollment centers for EasyPASS can be found in Terminal 1 at Frankfurt Airport and in Terminal 2 at Munich Airport. To qualify, U.S. citizens must have an electronic passport (epassport) and be at least 18 years of age."

No website was listed for EasyPASS, but more info can be found here:

EasyPASS | U.S. Customs and Border Protection  I am curious as to whether or not one must make an appt. or if one can just visit the office during office hours at one of the participating German airports and process the paperwork.

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

I've got a c couple of my old passports in a file drawer somewhere. You'll have a couple small holes punched into the cover to indicate that is no longer valid, but it you'll get it back to treasure forever.

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

My passports too are wonderful reminders of a travel history. I renewed in 2011 and unfortunately am already getting low on pages so I'll have to order new ones before the people at Schiphol start yelling at me again.  My one big complaint with the new passport format in the US is it makes women with blonde hair look like trolls with the blue background.  My photo looked completely normal (and more or less like me) when it was taken, but when I got my passport back my hair was a brilliant shade of orange thanks to the blue background.  More than a few (US) agents have asked "What happened to your hair?" though they should know by now.

I especially love all the visas in my old passport.  I only have one in the current one (Turkey), but should have another again if things go reasonably well in Egypt over the next three weeks.

Tommo781,

I love the Antarctic expedition stamp!  What is the significance of Marco Polo? Did you go through Venice?

Look closer profchiara.  The stamp says M/V Marco Polo.  So Merchant Vessel.  Marco Polo was the ship we went on from Ushuaia to the Antarctic.  It has long since been sold to another company, and has apparently gone downhill.  But it was great when we went on her.  We also did a Baltic Cruise a couple of years before on the same ship.

Didn't know what M/V meant -- even more impressive!

Thanks profchiara.  It was the trip of a lifetime, the best in my whole life.

I wish they would let us smile for the photo.  I look dubious in my photo.  You should start requesting the 52 page books.  My only complaint is that they don't put the entry and exit stamps on the same page, though at some point I'm sure, they won't even stamp them at all.  Everything will be digital.

Egypt.  Wow!  I wouldn't complain if you sent me a postcard...    (I'll send you one from Tikal... )

Thanks, everyone.  I'm glad to know we can expect to receive our treasured little (blue) book back.  I appreciate all of the info.  I will make sure I take care of my Global Entry updates, too (thanks IAHFLYR).

The new epassports have the smart (micro) chip inbedded in them.  I have read that one feature of this is that it will enhance the immigration process (for U.S. citizens) entering Australia.  SmartGate  I saw it in immigrations at the Sydney airport last visit, but I did not hold an epassport.  Does anyone know if they have these kiosks/gates in the UK or Canada?  Global Entry is great for returning home (U.S.) from abroad.  It would be nice to be able to fast track through passport control when arriving abroad as well.  zukracer, what say ye?

Actually, Pluto, while I can't speak to Global Entry, every place I have gone in Europe in the past six months has had priority lanes for both passport control and security, and it's been a breeze.

What are the qualifications to use the priority lane?

Hi Pluto,

Granted I am always going through from Delta, KLM, AF or Alitalia, so the same set of gates, but all you need is an elite card for those.  I can't speak for non-Skyteam,  But they also have something called Privium, which is either Dutch or relies on some other airline program.  But in Venice and Amsterdam it was a cakewalk through passport control and security.  And as usual (and I am happy about it since I already went thru security earlier), CDG only required passport control (minimal scrutiny) and no extra security screening -- you just go to the next gate (even to the US).  And AF even upgraded me this time (I think because of a heavy flight) to their highest premium economy class, which was pretty good.

I received my new passport a couple of days ago.  Wow, that was quick, barely a little over 2 weeks turnaround time and also including mail time from coast to coast both ways.  Not bad.

I am now awaiting receipt of my old one.

I will sleep better at night knowing my new passport is in hand.

pluto77,

I also got my new passport last week, yes extremely fast particularly when considering it was over the holidays and I know just how much work does NOT get done in the government during that time, so kudos to the passport kids.

I also just loaded the new number into my UA Account and Global Entry, hope it all works fine when I hit the air again soon.

Can you please tell me which government office you're referring to?  Because I want to work there during the holidays.

LOL, most of them and certainly the ones I worked in.

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

Hey, be careful about generalizations about government employees. Most of us work very hard (though I do know a few who hardly work ).

I was generalizing my former co-workers and my work habits!! 

pluto77,

Just to be certain when you get a new passport I called the Global Entry office at IAH to ask if they needed to activate anything with the new passport.  He told me other than putting the new number into your GOES account and FF account with the airline nothing else needed to be done.  He then told me if I don't get Pre-Check on my upcoming flight to dash into the office before I go through security and then will make sure all is working correct.

We shall see!!

Thanks for the reminder, IAH.  I will get the new info updated into my relevant accounts.  Hmmm, I fly tomorrow (Yay.)  Hope TSA-Pre works out for me.  Just btw, I got my old passport back yesterday.  (Another Yay!)

My old one got here sometime last week. 

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

I Am not sure that global entry gets you tsa pre check 100% of the time. There is a separate pre check process and fee. I do have global entry and have not gotten pre check  on a couple of occasions. On one trip the tsa officer told me you need a tsa pre check validation ( with it's own fee) also.

jerryl,

That validation is a program to itself where you do pay the fee.  Pre-Check was initially started by the airlines request to the TSA to offer their high end Elites a better alternative to security that regular screening.  It was the specific airline at specific airports that decided which folks would get Pre-Check not the TSA.

Being a "Trusted Traveler" such as Global Entry does provide a much greater chance that you will get Pre-Check.  Knock on wood, but since Pre-Check has come along and we signed up for Global Entry both my wife and I are at 100% other than a few airports that still might not have Pre-Check.

Also keep in mind that if you have TSA Pre-check through an airline or bought it, it won't count if you're flying on an international carrier.  But more and more both here and abroad, I have found they have dedicated lines either for business class or in my case most of the time, Skyteam Elite.  (As to the latter, I have two more scheduled flights on Delta this year -- free business class to Greece in May and August -- but I have spent nothing at all on Delta.)  I'm still Platinum Elite Plus, and am in a quandary.  I want to try to wait Delta out, but obviously I could lose my Delta status that way.  But since I'd also have to spend $25,000 on Amex (now with Barclay, not my preferred card). Moreover, reports keep circulating that FF programs really are on their last legs because it's too profitable for airlines to get rid of them.  So I expect benefits to continue to be reduced.  I booked Egypt and the two trips to Greece in 2014.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...