16 Replies Latest reply: Mar 8, 2015 1:27 AM by mikebenson RSS

New hotel to open on the Big Island of Hawaii

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I just noticed that a new Autograph Collection hotel, the Mauna Kea Beach Hotel, will be opening on the Big Island of Hawaii in January 2015.  It is located 26.5 miles NE of the Kona International Airport.  It does not appear that they are taking reservations yet.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Hawaii
  • Re: New hotel to open on the Big Island of Hawaii
    iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Outstanding news, thanks for sharing as it should be a wonderful spot for a new joint.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews

razorbackfan,

fantastic!  The property is actually a Prince Resort.  Some of their properties in Japan are already a part of the Autograph Collection.  Here's a link to the current site:

Hawaii Big Island Hotels | Prince Resorts – Mauna Kea Beach Hotel | Hotels on Big Island Hawaii

lakersfan Platinum 20 Reviews

Excellent.  Stayed at the Prince on in Makena on Maui a few years ago for a business meeting.  It was really a first-class property.  Have stayed at a couple of Prince properties in Japan about 10 years ago and remember really excellent service.

kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews

Great to hear lakersfan!  This "new" property looks good, and there is a Prince Autograph property in Tokyo that I'd like to stay at someday too.  Unfortunately the Honolulu property looks like it hasn't really been changed in 40 years.  Time for a comprehensive renovation I think! 

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

WOW, a blast from the past.  So good to see your shining face again and I do understand you sort of disappearing, after all you are a Lakerfan!!

lakersfan Platinum 20 Reviews

I traveled less in 2014 than any year sice 1992 - only 12 nights for business!  Glad to see many are still supporting Insiders.  As you can expect, sorry to see what has happened to The Lakers!

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

Someone may beat me to it, but I will definitely report back on this property after my stay in early September. It will be interesting to see what benefits they offer to Platinum elites. An upgrade would be nice and so would breakfast. I won't count on either so I can be pleasantly surprised if I get either. I don't see anything that specifically refers to this hotel as a resort, but I'm guessing it might be, meaning no CL. On the plus side there is no mention of a resort fee, so perhaps I'm wrong.

We'll be staying there for 1 night on points (I wanted to stay for the $50,000 adventure, but we just didn't have the time ) prior to you staying in September.  If I remember correctly, when I reserved the room on points there was only 1 option-main building, golf course view.  Now there are 2 options for the same amount of points (35,000) adding a room in the main tower, also with a golf course view.  We have been upgraded to that option.  It is actually a little more money if you pay for the room.  There is a parking charge, but I have not seen a resort fee mentioned. I've been following the posts on Flyertalk about the hotel.  I'll report back on our stay.

For those planning to stay at the Mauna Kea in the future, they have a 14-day cancellation policy.

Just one night? I hope you'll be somewhere else on the Big Island for a few days. It seems like a lot of effort otherwise just to stay at this property.

We are staying 2 additional nights in Volcano and the last night back in Kailua-Kona at the Courtyard.  I would have preferred the last night to be at the Mauna Kea Hotel; however, they did not have any rooms available on points for that night.

That's a great plan. A good way to see the whole island. I did something similar back in 2004.

mikebenson Platinum

I just went from the Marriott Beach Resort in Waikoloa to the Mauna Kea and would give anything to get out of here!  Terrible room.  Nice room amenities but a dumpy location right above the parking lot.  Cars coming and going all night long.  Woke up to a the sound of giant leaf blower at 7am.  No room upgrade for a Platinum Elite. Worst Autograph Hotel ever.  Not even an ice machine!  It's as if the Mauna Kea wants the Marriott bookings but has no intention of providing an Elite experience.  After all, the Mauna Kea has its own rewards program and those guests get priority over Marriott customers.

Mike, we sure had different experiences at the Mauna Kea.  Our stay was flawless and we loved every minute of it. The bellman offered to get us ice when he brought our luggage. Did you ask them why you were not upgraded?  We used points and were updated to a fabulous room in the beachfront wing.

mikebenson Platinum

Thanks for the encouragement.  Unfortunately I was informed members of the Prince Hotel Group have priority over Marriott Elite members and no upgrade would be offered.  (An "upgrade" was never important.  A quite room was all that we asked for.)  You really get the impression Marriott Elite members are second class citizens at the Mauna Kea when you discover Prince Hotel "Club Members" have their own dedicated parking stalls.  140,000 points down the drain.  I could have stayed at Uncle Billy's in Kailua and had a better experience.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...