21 Replies Latest reply: Dec 17, 2014 10:03 AM by jakeal RSS

Central Florida - The Marriott Insiders Way

erc Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Each year a group of us long time business partners/buddies/baseball bums take a getaway trip to review previous and future deals (that's our story and we're sticking to it) as well as to have some fun. It also serves as a gift of free time to our well deserving spouses. Perhaps not so much along the lines of  'absence makes the heart grow fonder', but certainly as a breather for them for our next year shenanigans (that's their story and they're sticking to it).

This year we headed down to Central Florida and for myself it was an interesting trip in that I didn't go as a Platinum, but as a roommate of Marriott Associates and Vacation Club owners, once again opting to collect dollars (savings) over points, breakfasts, or concierge lounge sodas and waters.

We started out at the Bradenton Courtyard and I could actually see how Marriott achieves such significant financial results and occupancy without offering elites breakfast. The property was competitively priced (our associate rate, was at a tremendous savings). The hotel was well run with friendly and competent staff, and it was convenient to our meetings and social plans. Their 'bistro' was essentially a Starbucks offering eggs, sandwiches, oatmeal, fruit, etc. Buying the breakfast with my savings was the same as being on an expense account (i.e., no out of pocket costs for the lodger) and even more attractive, the traffic flow was evenly distributed making for a short wait for breakfast (not that I was in a hurry, but most CY guests have real responsibilities). We had plenty to do between Bradenton, Sarasota, and the Gulf Beaches (Pirates train in Bradenton in the spring).

cy (1).JPG

A Courtyard (Bradenton) with an actual courtyard

riverwalk.JPG

The view outside our 12 inch balcony (better than no balcony). They have a riverwalk (not like San Antonio or OKC, but still a pleasant stroll along the Manatee River (manatees can be sighted in season). Pier 22 a nice restaurant within walking distance.

12_14 FL lights.jpg

An easy drive to the Gulf, this is St. Armand's Circle on Lido Island decked out for the holidays - great restaurants and shops

After Bradenton we ventured over to the Tampa/Clearwater area, where we had been several times because of baseball (spring training for the Yankees and Phillies and we've coached some players who are minor leaguers with games at the stadiums). Feeling 'frisky', we snagged a last minute terrific rate at the relatively new Autograph Collection - The Epicurean (which we won't be able to do next year under the new cancellation policy ). I had been to the neighborhood many times (often around Gasparilla Day) because a friend owned a sports bar nearby, but the neighborhood has undergone significant upscale change in the past five years.

The Epicurean (built by Marriott as an Autograph) was celebrating its one year anniversary. After a few awkward moments upon check-in (we came in a bit like Jed Clampett and Jethro Bodine, with our 'driving jeans and the associates were oh so stylish, giving us the "you're not hip" stinkeye, which was accurate, but still hurt our fragile, emotionally frail feelings) we settled into the property's vibe and actually enjoyed its positive attributes. They had a nice rooftop bar, a wine store, a tasting classroom, a heated (needed in 60 degree weather) pool and proximity to several good dining choices. The famous steakhouse, Bern's, is across the street, but making a last minute hotel deal meant tough options at Bern's and we were starving, so a 9 pm table wouldn't cut it, so instead we walked down the street and had an excellent dinner at Copperfish. There were also several other choices all within an easy walk, including Starbucks and Panera for breakfast and lunch options. Bern was actually an investor in the Epicurean and no doubt part of the impetus of the attractive upzoning for this up and coming neighborhood (reminding us of our hometown Arlington, Va.).

wine bottles.JPG

The ol' so chic Autograph Epicurean greets our valet parking with a wine bottle Christmas tree

epi.JPG

Our version of trendy - when the red light "Hot Now" goes on at Krispy Kreme

melt in your mouth, deeelicious, now that's hip, man

Ok, enough for our 'fish out of water' bohemian, boutique experiment, back to our roots; sports and Marriott. We drove downtown to the well run and impressive in scale, Tampa Marriott Waterside to walk the area and enjoy a hockey game at the adjacent Amalie Arena. Due to the hotel's proximity to the arena and the convention center, the lobby is as lively (into the late hours as well) as I've seen at a Marriott, including the Michigan Ave. Magnificent Mile Marriott in Chicago. They also house a Champions Sports Bar/Restaurant and as you might imagine, it too was hopping as no doubt often is the case with an event going on at the arena (a 100 yard walk). Overall, a solid, consistent Marriott level experience - capture a good rate and it's a strong value.

tampa.JPG

Tampa Marriott Westside - packed with Lightning fans (note decoration) and well run property

12_14Doug_Paul K.jpg

Yours truly in the broadcast booth telling my pal, a fellow Platinum, about Insiders.

We concluded our week with a stay at the vacation club near Sea World Marriott's Cypress Harbour (with a nearby Residence Inn and just down the road from the Renaissance Sea World and around the corner from the Marriott Grand Vista). Cypress Harbour is an excellent location for Disney, Universal, Sea World, Restaurant Row on Sand Lake, the nice Dr. Phillips restaurants, and as long as you avoid rush hour, an easy drive into downtown or Winter Park. Plenty of enjoyable activities on site; bike and boat rentals for their lake, grills that would make IAHFLYR and foxglove happy, a very useful, well stocked market and sandwich shop, a putting green with sand traps, and a superb fitness center (normally most centers can be described as either adequate or not, this is health club quality level, the website photo doesn't do it justice). The one headscratcher is that their two room villas have one bed in each room, an enormous master bedroom with whirlpool and a tight fit second bedroom with a queen and a sofa bed presenting a bed to sofa bed squeezed in scenario (they also have a sofa bed in living room). Now this is all on the web site and photos, so the layout wasn't the surprise, rather the sq. footage allocation (I was with builders who pointed out several better floorplans) . Be sure to factor in who your guests are when reserving. But other than that, it turned out to be an excellent property with no sales reps bugging us (they actually helped with dinner reservations - with a $20 coupon, and you know erc and the crew liked that). So give this property a consideration if you're bringing the gang down to the theme park area.

IMG_0255.JPG

Lacking my first team photographer, this is the best I could manage,

but the Marriott Cypress Harbour was all decked out for the holidays

gym (1).JPG

A fitness center almost as impressive as the JW Indianapolis - excellent machines

IMG_0280.JPG

One of the best cycling videos around - Paris. I actually took the knowledge pluto77, fschumpert, profchiara and jerrycoin

provided and rode from Notre Dame, Eiffel Tower, the Arch, and along the Seine, a great trip. Went to WaWa had a french roast and croissant, checked it off my bucket list and saved a couple grand .   A good time had by all.

bourbon.JPG

jakeal - to go along with our beer flights, bourbon flights. This was at Moonfish, one of the many excellent restaurants along Sand Lake Rd. (Seasons 52, Eddie V's, Rocco's, Ocean Prime just to name a few), my local buddy says next time we hit Doc Phillips.

IMG_0266.JPG

vaboywnder - when told of the tough time given you down the road at Grand Vista, my man Eesul (gave us the coupon for dinner)  said for you to come on down to Cypress Harbour and you'll be given the royal treatment, without bugging you

In summary, after rebounding from a crushing defeat in the CyberMonday wars, this time the Insider, by finessing some nifty last minute moves, was able to craft a solid week of excellent travel experiences at a great value which always brings warm feelings of the thrill of victory (rather than the agony of defeat)  with the knowledge that this time, we were able to (if only, ever so gently) STICK IT..., TO THE MAN!.

Continue sharing your travel victories (we're in this game together) and as always,

Keep on keepin' on Insiders.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Central Florida - The Marriott Insiders Way
    bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

Very nice write up. Hot Krispy Kremes are definitely the way to go.

I always like your beer suggestions and having pictures of different Marriott properties helps in travel planning. Between you and jakeal, I learn about so many great places to eat, drink, and sleep.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

bpelican Platinum 57 Reviews

Great post, erc and wonderful pics.  Love that area of FL myself.  Stayed at Harbour Lake MVC last October, which is, I think, across from Cypress Harbour.  It was wonderful.  Thanks for post.

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

What a fun trip, epic report and pictures.  Krispy Kreme may top the pic list other than you in the Fox booth.  You have too much fun and it's great to see.  Thanks for sharing your trip with us and oh yeah, bring on the grill baby!!

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

As I walk through the cold grey drizzle of a typical Birmingham afternoon, I thought of erc  enjoying the wonderful warmth, charm and beer in Florida. It's nice to know the sun is shining somewhere in the world.

Thanks, cheered me up no end!

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

erc:

Great write-up and sounds like a great trip! For those on a need-to-know basis...what was the best bourbon in the flight you sampled?

foxglove Silver 3 Reviews

Excellent report on another incredible adventure and what I'm sure was a nice respite from mid-December temps -- and inspiration for me to pull out the old travel guide and decide where to burn the cert for which Marriott Rewards graciously granted me a 6-month extension last week. Another (albeit minor) MRI win.

erc Platinum

Thanks gang, good to hear from all of you.

bejacob - we travelled around with a big muckety muck of Florida Water (which of course is a key ingredient of beer) and he had worked closely with Orlando Brewing (which, like some of the original pilsners, needed 'hard water'), so we did a "significant" tasting of their products; all pretty good. They are the official brewer of craft beers for a fancydan restaurant (save your pennies kids, it's got some big boy prices - whoo, but everything was excellent) Christner's.

bpelican - yeah, you're right Harbour Lake just across the street and looked very nice, and of course has the same geographical advantages. Here's an update for any golfers; Marriott has sold the golf course at Grand Pines (across the street from Grand Vista and contiguous to the other Vacation Clubs). Apartments are going up soon.

IAHFLYR - you are so correct about those Krispy Kremes right out of the oil. We saw that light and literally made a U-turn on Dale Mabry (a major road). The lady let us back in the back to see her pull them of the conveyor (I was going to take pictures but I didn't want her thinking I was a Dunkin mole). Those babies are like cotton candy, melting in your mouth. I was proud of only eating two, because back in the day, we would easily throw down a dozen after a night of Moonlight Madness putt putt (Alexandrians know where I'm talking about) and then right next door. MMMM

The broadcaster and I used to do high school football games when we were in college. He went on to his successful career in sports broadcasting and yours truly went on to writing about megabonuses

brightlybob - and I thought of your in grey drizzly UK when I was baking in the sun, and it cheered me up also

tef6178 - first, great to hear from you. second, your ears must of been burning because this is the same group that heads down to Pensacola (to see another broadcast friend D. Shugart) and we talked about swinging by the former rock star's neighborhood and dropping in - so be on guard, it may one day actually happen. By far the Woodford Reserve (which is handcrafted in small batches) was the smoothest and most enjoyable. Both the Old Forester and Jack Daniels were fine, but had a bit of a 'shivering' kick on the backend (heck, another round we would have probably enjoyed witchhazel!).

foxglove - that's the way to do it! Athens to Central Florida fits right into your strategy of driving - give it a looksee.

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

erc come on down! We'll do an in house tasting where I'll share some of the moonshine we have down here with y'all when you get here. The kick from that 'gasoline' will have you breathing fire and have that Woodford Reserve seeming like a milk drink!

Safe travels!

77paris Platinum 17 Reviews

erc,

Great & fun share! Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Well played on shaking off the "you're not hip" stinkeye!!  T.S. would be very proud. It might help your cool factor if you know I am not referring to Eliot, but then, maybe not .   I think I speak for other Insiders when I declare that you are just our kind of cool!

Thanks for keepin' on keepin' on.

Might that T.S. be a young lady who has difficulty looking happy for others when her name isn't called for every music award in every category?

And shocked   (really?) when it is.

erc Platinum

See that's why we need to sometimes hang with the young, like the good professor does down there in musicland. I've just gotten into Country due to a group of athletes razzing me about my ignorance (whereas I do enjoy, it's still hard for me to distinguish, I use Darius Rucker as my stumper back to the guys ).

I'm glad foxglove answered, because I took the T.S. literally and the only other T.S. I could recall was the guy from Mallrats (a Kevin Smith film in the 90's) that actually has a scene regarding stink, but I knew given 77paris' panache, she wasn't talkin' bout (or even knew about that !), once again proving, the only hip I am is Huey Lewis' - square .

Only erc could incorporate Hootie, Huey, and an untimely aroma in a single post.

Once again, my hat is off to you, sir.

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

As I read the amazing erc reference to the best Charleston singer around and Huey (his golf game needs work) I was thinking the exact same thing as you foxglove.  But then he is sort of our Insider "Heart and Soul"!!!

So entertaining the things we learn on MRI…..yes, I did have to google T. S. and Mallrats, erc.  I simply cannot understand how I could have missed such a film classic .

And thanks for crediting me with having panache……nice! 

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

erc,

Another Great Report!!  You looked very comfortable behind the camera and microphone.   I miss the going to KK in Charlottesville and taking advantage of the red "Hot Now".  The Charlottesville  KK has now become a fast food restaurant for chicken.   Now that you have warmed up to the Courtyard brand you should give my fave in Nova a try- CY Dunn Loring. 

This past weekend eclektech and I hit up the Fairview Park Marriott in Falls Church and took advantage of the $50 Amex Credit you told me about.  I was $20 short of making the $200 spending requirement so I asked about the possibility of buying a Marriott Gift Card to add to my folio but they said they no longer sell gift cards at the hotel.  So I ended up buying some bottled water and batteries from their market to push me over the $200 limit.  Unfortunately no upgrades were available on this visit as they had lots of special events going on.  Speaking of Merrifield/Falls Church area have you tried the Trio Grill yet?  I wondered if it was any good.

Cypress Harbour looks like a nice property.  I'll definitely keep it in mind for future Orlando Trips.

erc Platinum

vaboywnder

You are the king of the Dunn Loring corridor, I go to you for advice on that area. I haven't been to the other side of Lee Highway from Mosaic other than Lost Dog (had an Ovvio reservation, but bad weather lead me to cancel). But that Trio Grill certainly looks good doesn't it (I enjoy Sea Pearl and it appears somewhat similar).

I'm going to start dropping in the Stone Soup Cafe, just to keep you on your toes .

jakeal Gold 15 Reviews

erc - A fantastic write-up.  And of course, I always appreciate the craft beer updates! 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...