10 Replies Latest reply: Dec 25, 2014 7:32 AM by profchiara RSS

Venice, my recent trip

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

In some other subject titles, I talked about my December 2014 trip to Venice, which was inspired by the 2013 trip, when I discovered that it was so wonderful at this time of year.  Few tourists, no lines for great sites, the beautiful city to yourself without all the cruise ship daytrippers and summer vacationers.

It met my expectations again in every way.  I stayed this time at the Londra Palace, probably one of the great hotels of the world in every category (just check out its ratings, where there are none in the 1 or 2 range with about 700-800 total ratings. It also has one of the best restaurants in Venice, where I have dined often in the past, Do Leoni.  The staff of the hotel were phenomenal, even though I had to change everything at the last minute to a day later on each end due to NE weather.  My room was spectacular (though for room itself and in general the view I'll still stick with the Pesaro Palace), and I loved the terrace.  I mentioned my seagulls in a different post and will show a photo of them here.

Don't go to Venice in late October or November (acqua alta); don't go in February unless you are crazy (Carnevale).  If not December, go in March or September or early October. And yes, it remains my favorite city in the world!IMG_3063.jpgIMG_3066.jpgIMG_3088.jpgIMG_3092.jpgIMG_3115.jpgIMG_3117.jpgIMG_3136.jpgIMG_3152.jpg

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Venice, my recent trip
    zukracer Alumni Steward Platinum 4 Reviews

very nice!  It's a city on my "to do" list for sure.  My big trips like this are on hold until my daughter is a little older and can remember/appreciate going.  I cannot wait to see these sights in person though, thanks for sharing

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Definitely go in off season -- December through March minus Carnevale -- because then you miss the influx en masse of cruise ships.  It's a different place entirely and December is my favorite month in Venice (and with good weather -- summers are hot and humid and crowded).

Cheers, ProfC

gm1 Gold 1 Reviews

Prochiara

After reading your trip reports on Venice in December this year and last, you have planted a seed of thought in my old mind.  If I should be lucky enough to have the opportunity to visit this beautiful city again, it may very well be in December.  I really detest  waiting in long lines.  Often times reasonable air fare and hotel rates can be found between Thanksgiving and mid December.  Thank you for taking the time to produce the trip report and post the photos.

The other unexpected benefit, gm1, was the weather -- and twice in a row can't be the exception (at least I don't think).  It seems like the key is around the 2nd week but before Christmas.  The first week you can still get acqua alta (everyone told me it had just stopped raining when I arrived ), but then both weeks last year and this I had five sunny days in the mid-50s with clear night temps of about 35.  Each time, the day I was leaving it started to rain.  Do you think Venice is trying to claim me? If they haven't already?

I hope you get back.  It's such a shame when people only see Venice in high tourist season, because it's a different place altogether.

gm1 Gold 1 Reviews

profchiara

Thanks for the additional weather information.  Venice is my wife's favorite city and I am certain we will make every effort to return someday.  The second week of December sounds like a winner.  Venice must be a very special place for you as she will have to fight with Greece for your loyalty.

That's why I always say Venice is my favorite city and Greece my favorite country.  Athens is not my favorite place in Greece by far, though I liked it much better when I stayed more centrally last time.  But the different islands and historic sites in the Peloponnese and mountains are magnificent.

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

Hi Prof!

As always, thanks for the wonderful updates of another wonderful trip.  Merry Christmas to you!

Hi Shoeman,

Right back at ya -- so good to hear from you!

Cheers, ProfChiara

pluto77 Alumni Steward Platinum 25 Reviews

Fabulous.  Great photos, great info.  Thanks so much and congrats on a great trip!

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Great pics Prof, thanks for sharing them and your advice on the best time to visit Venice.  Oh and yes, Venice has claimed you long ago!

You might remember us not enjoying our last visit to Venice probably five or six years back now as it seemed much less desirable than our previous trips mainly due to the influx of street peddlers and the like.  Have they cleaned that up some since or are they associated with the more tourist times of the year?  If so I am certain I can sell the December time frame for a return visit as we loved the city itself as well as Lido and Murano.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...