14 Replies Latest reply: Dec 19, 2014 12:33 PM by zukracer RSS

One night away from platinum status...any options?

pennywurst Gold
Currently Being Moderated

So, I'm one night away from platinum status and won't be traveling again this year.

Are there any options I have or tricks I can use to get that one night?

I am currently at 63 nights. My last stay of the year and the one I am currently on was meant to be from the 7th of December to the 19th, however I missed my flight on the 7th and the hotel was friendly and changed my reservation to be from the 8th instead. This means I lose a night, making me one night away from platinum status. They refuse to change it back.

I've been told I can't simply pay for a night and use it without personally checking in.

My elite nights from my Marriott Visa card have already posted for December, and any posted in January will not count towards my elite status.

I have a voucher for a free night in Category 1 - 4 hotels, but I am unclear if this can be used to count towards my elite status if redeemed.

Would anyone have any suggestions for what I can do to get platinum status?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: One night away from platinum status...any options?
    jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

get a cheap one night at some Marriott check in a leave

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

pennywurst,

Welcome to Insiders!  Your Category 1-4 Certificate  can not be used to earn an elite night credit towards receiving Platinum status.  The certificate entitles you to one free night at a Category 1-4 property but you would not earn points or elite night credits when using it.

As jerryl suggested I would consider looking for a cheap one night stay at a Marriott property so that you can earn the platinum status especially if your an United Airlines customer and don't curry have status with the airline.  If you become platinum with Marriott you would then also receive Premier Silver status with United Airlines which makes you eligible for free checked bags and some upgrades.

pennywurst Gold

Thanks

OK, So I can't use the certificate, damn it.

Nothing is cheap where I am, and I honestly don't know if it is worth spending $150 to get status.

I don't actually care about the hotel status and only want platinum to get the automatic silver status with United.

I really wish the hotel staff hadn't changed my reservation to be friendly. Normally it would be great, just not this time.

erc Platinum

I would call Marriott Rewards tomorrow and discuss the situation and see what they say, several times we have read of Marriott either maintaining or granting Platinum status when someone is that close - it's certainly worth a try.

Here's another consideration; if you haven't registered you Birthday, be sure to get credit for your Birthday elite night.

If you haven't registered, there shouldn't be a problem with them crediting you a night for that; however, common sense isn't always so common when it comes to Rewards policies, so perhaps you shouldn't tip off right away when your birthday is and instead ask hypothetical questions and then if you discover that they don't retroactively credit birthday nights, you have the option of 'celebrating' your birthday on December 23rd (to me, as long as you only get one night per year for your birthday, no sweat, but I live in the nation's capital and perhaps have been exposed too long to 'plausible deniability' - it's your call New Yorker ).

Good luck

pennywurst Gold

Best answer so far, thanks! I don't think I did register for my birthday credit yet...any idea where I can find info on that?

If worst comes to worst I found a night in NYC for $95 at an airport, but I can't decide if that's a waste of money or not.

erc Platinum

It's been awhile since I've entered any info, but I believe it's just editing your personal info. Here's an older link that shows how it was done a few years back   (Reply #19 from the community manager)

http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/thread/8412?start=15&tstart=0

once you enter you birthday, you're supposed to be sent a Happy Birthday wish and an elite night upon your date.

ps - depending upon how much flying with United and how many nights at Marriott next year, $100 would be a decent value for the plat status

extra 25% points (vs. gold) and bonus check in points (up to 500 for full service) and the Plat customer service line is very useful.

Plat exclusive offers used to be of value, but have declined in recent years - but if only one occurred that you liked, it's a plus

pennywurst Gold

I don't have status with any airline, so if I get platinum with marriott I'm hoping to build on the automatic Silver to get up to gold.

Just set my birthday for December 20th, if that doesn't work I'll ring them, and if that doesn't work I'll pay for it somewhere.

Cheers!

tvo-2 Platinum

I believe you can simply find a hotel that is offering prepaid rooms at special rates.  I find these rates all the time (typically if booking ahead 7 days or more) and I am 99% sure that you do not need to show up charged the credit for the night's stay.

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

My understanding is that, if you use that certificate, you won't get credit for the night....

So - treat it as a great opportunity for some kind of an adventure.  Sounds like a Saturday night out to me...

Pick a Saturday night activity not too far away - a concert, a show, a sporting event (minor league hockey!!!) - and spend the night....Or just pick a place with a great restaurant (in the hotel or nearby), have a late dinner, and sleep in...  We've done this, for example, at the Renaissance in Baltimore's Inner Harbor....  Or seek out one of the places that has a fun Sunday buffet  - I'm guessing you're not in Vegas, but the Wicked Spoon is a dramatic, memorable, and unusual buffet experience.

In the winter, we also frequently book a discount Saturday stay at a hotel with an indoor pool - the boys love it.  Swim Saturday afternoon and Sunday morning - enjoy a Sunday buffet - a nice winter break....

Good luck!

zukracer Alumni Steward Platinum 4 Reviews

For the $100-110ish price point you have to decide if the status is worth the spend.  Take the hotel night out of it and answer if you would pay the airline directly if they said "give us $120 and you can have this level of status"? 

If yes, find a good rate at a place in the city and make a night of it.  Some good rates to be found for sure, see if you can get one in an area of the city that you don't get to much and go explore or just experience a night out for a change of pace

If no, and getting platinum with MR is only for that reason, not the other bits you get being Plat with MR, then you really have your answer

Let us know how it goes though, I'm sure there's others reading that are in the same boat.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...