14 Replies Latest reply: Jan 4, 2015 10:43 AM by iahflyr RSS

Favorite Restaurants That Have Closed

erc Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Recent Insiders threads (Where Should Marriott Open Hotels? - reminding me of the excellent Hollywood Renaissance and arkwright's insightful post, Images of Travel, - recalling for me the evocative descriptions over the years of Le Bec Fin in Philadelphia) combined with the recent closing of the highly regarded Cityzen in the Mandarin Oriental in Washington DC, got me thinking of other places where I dined, that were at times, hard to get into and almost always an 'event'. Here's a list of a few that I can recall that have gone by the wayside (reminding me, at my stage in life, no need to bust a gut trying to get to Rose's Luxury, Minibar et al., instead, just try to outlive them )

Quilted Giraffe - NY
  Dominques - DC
  LeBecFin - Philly
  Bookbinders - Philly
  Charlie Trotter's - Chicago
  Maxim's - Houston
  and
  Tavern on the Green - NY (yes, now reopened in a new version, anyone tried it out yet?)

Are there any restaurants that you recall that similarly were the toast of the town that are now no longer around (bpelican, didn't you use to discuss the Bronx Bombers with Joltin' Joe and Yogi at Toots Shor's ?)

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Favorite Restaurants That Have Closed
    fschumpert Platinum 22 Reviews

Hasenour's in SE Louisville, KY

Vince Perone's, Greenville, SC

Rick's "Mamy Shanty", Marietta, (Atlanta) GA

Julian's , Buckhead (Atlanta)

The Abbey, Atlanta

Emile's, Atlanta

Flamingo's, Columbia, SC

Perdido's, Charleston, SC

Top of the Sixies, NYC

Shakey's Pizza (several cities) - preceded most all of the present-day pizza restaurants!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

erc Platinum

Aah, the Top of the Sixes. Back in the day, I once got razzed for dining there as an employee of Marriott while staying at the Essex House. Since it was beyond my expense allowance (meaning I had to go out of pocket, as a kid), I told my boss that if the Essex House had a rooftop restaurant (rather than an average first floor one) I'd invest my hard earn dollars with the company team .

In keeping with the news of the week, the Top of the Sixes converted to a members only (they didn't call me) cigar bar

http://grandhavana.com/new-york/  (with no doubt still the great view, even if seen through the haze of cigar smoke).

Who knows, perhaps we won't have to smuggle our Cohibas through Toronto and London much longer .

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

the Woodshed and Kevin's in Moultonboro NH

erc Platinum

You're getting up into Sledchick's neck of the woods now. Were those big time resort (ski, summer, or year round) restaurants? Looks like a nice area to visit.

superchief1 Platinum

Maisonette in Cincinnati (one of the longest runs of 5 star rating)

The former owner also just passed away this week.

Sledchick Platinum 9 Reviews

They were in the Lake Winnipesaukee area.  The Woodshed was destroyed by fire and they never rebuilt.  Yes, that area is gorgeous, erc!  You should plan a trip there sometime.

yes you are right but someone has said they will buy an old barn somewhere in New Hampshire and take it apart and rebuild on the site. It had numerous pictures of celebrities including the cast from on golden pond. Kevin's was owned by former chef at legal seafood and had the best crab cakes but his lease ran out

I'll have to keep tabs on this because I'd love to eat there if they do rebuild!  Thanks for the info.

The slab is in and awaiting the barn that is suppose  to be dismantled in pa and ahipped up

So maybe it will be done in the late spring?  Hope so!  Thanks for the info.

mikiegfla Platinum 4 Reviews

Burt and Jack's (the Burt was partner Burt Reynolds). This gem of a chop house was located inside Port Everglades (Fort Lauderdale) and was forced to shut down after 9/11 because new security at the port required all people travelling to the area to be there on official business or as a passenger.

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

In no particular order:

• 94 Stewart in Seattle
    • Ruggles Grill in Houston
    • Maxim's in Houston
    • Felix in Houston
    • CafeAnnie in Houston
    • Charlie Browns in Ft. Myers Beach, Florida
    • Whaoo's Fish Taco in The Woodlands, Texas
    • Taco Milagro in The Woodland, Texas

erc Platinum

Oh man, those Houston restaurants bring back some memories. Now granted, I'm getting like the Gipper and can't tell movie roles from reality anymore, but I'm pretty sure both Cafe Annie and Felix had something to do with the birth of my first born. Possibly the Post Oak neighborhood of Cafe Annie 'set the mood' and then months later the Tex-Mex delights and spiciness of Felix brought the deal to closure and off to The Woman's Hospital (next to the Astrodome) we went.

Or maybe it was Atchafalaya and Ninfa's; either way thanks for the memories, I did at least eat at both of them .

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Your daughters do look to have enjoyed some pre-birth delights from Texas!!!

Oh man, I totally forgot about Atchafalaya.....WOW.  I think the place on I-45 near FM 1960 is not a Caddy dealership, Peacock.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...