32 Replies Latest reply: Jul 16, 2015 12:18 PM by misterchk RSS

NYC Eastside Marriott or AC Lexington Hotel

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Heading to NYC to see Billy Joel at MSG, which property would you select and why?  Or do you have another favorite you might suggest?

Thank you in advance for your help.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
New York, New York, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts New York Marriott East Side
New York, New York, USA Autograph Collection The Lexington New York City, Autograph Collection
Brooklyn, New York, USA
  • Re: NYC Eastside Marriott or AC Lexington Hotel
    elb157 Platinum 18 Reviews

I've never stayed at the Lexington.  Eastside has a relatively new concierge lounge, which is nice.  Some of the rooms are much nicer than others; some are directly across a narrow hallway from elevators.   I prefer it to the Times Square properties, which can get crazy crowded.  Have you considered the Algonquin?  It has eccentric charm, a lobby cat, and a lot of personality....

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Hi Iahflyr,

I haven't stayed at the Lexington either (I've only been to NYC the one time).  It appears that the rooms at the Lexington can be small in size (and the bathroom sinks are tiny - check out the photos), but many also are at the East Side as well (we kept accidentally banging the door against the toilet ).  On the plus side of the Lexington, it has just completed something like a $46 million renovation, and with a modern artsy vibe, so everything is shiny and new.  There doesn't appear to be a concierge lounge however, and the rooms look pretty small (East Side rooms are small too, though.)  East Side has a more traditional look and feel and they do have the new 'M' lounge on the 2nd floor, which is spacious, comfortable and has a number of offerings (but closed on weekends).  For either property, it would be a huge plus if you could get upgraded to a room that's at least close to 300SF (whichever property you decide, maybe put in a request for a corner room).

I was thinking about the Algonquin too.  The photos look amazing, and it's closer to MSG.  Another property that you might consider is the Renaissance Times Square.  It is well located and it has that amazing lounge with surrounding ceiling to floor glass so you can look down on Times Square, but the decor is kind of unusual.  Well, why it's a Ren.

elb157 & pluto77,

We have stayed at the Alqonquin and the room was just like being inside a closet.  I have a room at the East Side that is 460 sq ft, but hope for the upgrade that from reading they don't do for Gold so maybe they will for Platinum (fingers and toes crossed).  I think we will stay with the East Side and avoid Times Square will be a complete zoo and we've been there at zoo time before.   I can always cancel if we find something in the link from Josh.

I'll take a gander at the link The specified item was not found., thanks. 

elb157 Platinum 18 Reviews

I've gotten Platinum upgrades at the EastSide three or four times.  Good luck; have fun!

Oh we will certainly have fun and trust the upgrade comes though.  We won't be in the hotel all that much regardless just love the best of the best in rooms.

richbine Platinum

I have stayed at both and think the East Side is far superior to the Lexington.  Superior service and frequent room upgrades.  Also, the doormen (the most important people to know and befriend!) are the best.  Especiallly Jimmie and Bert!!  Enjoy Billy Joel, one of my all-time favorites.

donethat Platinum 5 Reviews

I had a couple of great upgrades at the Lexington.  Also the Chinese restaurant on 2nd floor is amazing.

Good luck.

Platinum 28 Reviews

Have no idea if you have made your trip yet.  That said, the East Side property has become a "home away from home" for me.  I had four visits totaling 17 nights in 2014 and will be there again in a few weeks. 

Has a huge new CL that is staffed by Margaret (made famous on this site by others). 

The building is old but the rooms, if upgraded to a level above the lowest are roomier than most NY properties.

On one of my visits I walked across the street to the Lexington and asked to see some rooms (I identified myself as a Marriott Elite and was welcomed with opened arms).  Rooms were well appointed.  What I (personally) didn't like was the tiniest of bathrooms.  I decided, (sorry this is a silly reason) I would not stay at the LEX due to the bathroom issue.

I will add we enjoyed our large "L" shaped room very much on the 14th floor, the lounge is great and the location cannot be beat for excellent restaurants/bars within a block of the place which helps avoid the windy winter weather found in NYC from time to time.

P1020960.JPGP1020961.JPG

Platinum 28 Reviews

Pleased your stay went well in the City of My Birth - hope you saw my initials carved on one of the baseboards (LOL)!!

(following said in misterchk's weird sense of humor - please tolerate)

Especially proud of the NY Hotel's staff not discriminating against those from the Loan Star State!!

misterchk I did not notice your initials on the baseboard, but as soon as I mentioned your name the maid showed me where on the back of the bathroom door where I found them!!!

They always take care of us kids from the Republic of Texas.

theolejudge Gold 4 Reviews

Hi IAHFLYR

I am also pleased you enjoyed your stay.  I travel to Brooklyn for trials and always stay at the Marriott at the Brooklyn Bridge--if ever on that side of the river I recommend it--the staff is outstanding or at least to this Ole Southern Man...Bill

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

I've stayed at the East Side Marriott, several times and have always been happy.  My one complaint is that they do not provide free breakfast to Gold and Platinum on the weekends.  Nevertheless the location is great and the rooms are nice.  Two years ago my son moved to Brooklyn and we have switched to the Brooklyn Bridge Marrott and found it equally nice with larger rooms and weekend breakfast included.  It's not quite as well located for theater and concerts but is otherwise convenient and parking is less expensive.  Brooklyn is paradise for restaurants.

Location Brand Hotel
          Brooklyn, New York, USA
    curiousone Platinum

Making my first trip to Downtown NY, June 11 -16. (Been to Brooklyn once before.) and will be staying at the Eastside based on all the reviews on MRI. Hopefully my Pat status will be of benefit.

I'm sure it will, but give the hotel a call a few days out and tell them of your pending arrival.

As for no breakfast, the 1,000 points were nice and there are so Deli/Restaurants near with excellent food I doubt we would have eaten in the hotel regardless.

usuallyatmarriott Platinum 6 Reviews

Stay at the East Side - avoid the Lexington Autograph - good advice whether it's a Billy Joel concert, general business, or vacation stay.

dreamtrip Platinum 5 Reviews

Does anybody out there that stays at this hotel have specific suggestions for good restaurants in this area.  We will be in town in September celebrating a belated 45th wedding anniversary and both of our 65th birthdays.  We would like a good New York City steakhouse--hopefully we won't have to take out a loan to enjoy it.  Also, a good Jewish deli, a breakfast place and a good happy hour.  We also love champagne brunch buffets.  Any suggestions. 

dreamtrip,

Congrats on your upcoming celebrations, but which hotel are you staying?

I cannot comment on Steak joints as when in NYC it's all about Italian, Greek, and Asian of which there are great ones near the Eastside.  So tell us where you'll be.

For a steakhouse, very close to the Marriott East Side is Sea Fire Grill, an upscale seafood and steak restaurant.  We enjoyed excellent dining there.  Another steak house very close to the hotel is Smith and Wollensky.  We haven't dined there, but have heard good reviews.  Both are barely a block from the hotel.

The Sea Fire Grill

Smith & Wollensky, New York

For breakfast, Penelope, but definitely make a reservation, especially if on a weekend.

Penelope, NYC • 159 Lexington Avenue • 212.481.3800, it's about 1.5 miles south of Marriott East Side on Lexington.

I don't know about their happy hour, but afternoon drinks and nibblies at Stone Rose Lounge on the 4th floor of the Time Warner building at Columbus Circle (overlooking the southwest corner of Central Park) were enjoyable and relaxing, with a nice view.  Their drinks and appetizers are very good.  Also at Columbus Circle, check out Porter House New York .

There is seemingly endless great dining in NYC, and as such, everyone you ask may well provide you with a different answer.  I just tried to answer your inquiry with regards to it's specificity, steaks and breakfast, proximal to the hotel.

ledgeroni Platinum 1 Reviews

I stay at the lexington weekly and it is definitely a 'boutique' hotel.  rooms are small, as is typical in Ny, but upgraded rooms (close to elevators) are a good size and some have two bathrooms since it is in effect two single rooms combined into one room.  However, the hotel is not good at crediting your rewards account timely.  i have to call for every stay to get the points for the stay credited.  this is a recurring problem at this hotel.  additionally, they don't have a real concierge lounge, only an area for breakfast.  the set up is not good either - who puts hard boiled eggs next to fresh fruit?

I love these sort of questions, because it gets me busy searching.  Sarabeth's at Central Park South looks like my kind of place for breakfast.

donethat Platinum 5 Reviews

For steak, Peter Lugar's of course, cash only, also BLT Steak or Prime, Keen's, Smith Wollensky.   For deli's either Carnegie or Stage, 2nd Avenue or Katz's.  Have fun.

Platinum 28 Reviews

Sorry to pass on bad news but the Stage Deli (famous locations on 7th Avenue) is out of business.  Pretty sure it's been more than a year.

Speaking as a New Yorker (originally) the food there never was the quality of the

Carnegie (a short block away).

Less than a block away from the Eastside is an wonderful quaint Italian place San Martin Restaurant NY, more to follow!!

Platinum 28 Reviews

IAHFLYR

Mon Ami, we are once again on the same page - every  stay at the East Side property (about 5 trips in the last 2 years) includes a dinner at San Martin!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...