3 Replies Latest reply: Dec 10, 2014 9:27 AM by ks77 RSS

The Most Annoying Types of Air Passengers

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

USA Today published an article today with the second annual survey of annoying behavior on planes. A pretty good article...I find I agree with the top 7 for sure.

The most annoying types of airline passengers are ...

What do you guys think?

erc, IAHFLYR, vaboywnder, Tommo781

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: The Most Annoying Types of Air Passengers
    pluto77 Alumni Steward Platinum 25 Reviews

In about the last 60 segments, I've only encountered maybe 3 irritating things on the list that each occured only once and 2 things that were not on the list, but which I found to be annoying.  These numbers therefore reflect an annoying social situation rate of about 8%, which means that conversely, 92% of my flights involve pleasant or at least benign social situations.  Not bad, really.

On the list,

Offense:  the seat back knee-er (an adult).

Response: turn around and glare at him each time he did it.

Results: ineffective.

Offense:  the seat snatcher (note: this has never occured when it was someone wanting to sit with a family member, only when it was someone wanting what was in their mind a better seat).

Response: politely point out my seat assignment and if necessary, my intention to claim it.

Results: effective.

Offense: queue jumper (rush from seated somewhere behind to stand next to my seat - before the doors have even been opened) so that I can't get up, get my stuff from the overhead or deplane (effectively pinning me in).

Response: stand up and politely but assertively say, excuse me, please.

Results: effective.  they're forced to step back (though unfortunately to the annoyance of others) and wait their turn.

Not on the list,

There have been a couple of unique situations...

Of course this young lady http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/message/125021#125021

http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/message/125158#125158, which I recently posted about and then the lady who sat in the emergency exit seat in front of me on a 15 hour flight last year, where for the 12 hours that the plane flew in the dark (it left at 10:30pm flying in the same direction that the Earth rotates), she insisted on having her overhead light on the entire night (and because of the design of the emergency exit seat, it shined directly in my eyes), then in the morning when she finally turned the light off, while I was looking out my window (which was situated behind her) and enjoying an absolutely gorgeous sunrise at 35,000 feet, she turns back to me, squinting irritatedly and asks me to close my window because the sun is in her eyes (if you don't want the sun in your eyes, then face forward?)  I'm thinking to myself, are you kidding me?  You had to have your light on ALL NIGHT LONG while everyone was trying to sleep and now I can't watch a beautiful sunrise because you're complaining that the sun shining through the window aft of you is in your eyes?  Unbelievable!

I've never encountered an "inattentive parent" on an aircraft.  I love kids.  Mine are grown and the grandlittles live far away so if I ever encounter an unhappy, uncomfortable or irritable child, I'd be happy to read them a story, sing them a song or play with them.  Parents need a break too.

Bottom line, and John Morrey said it best, "Few places require more etiquette that the inside of an airplane."  True story.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

From the article list one of my biggest pet peeves is the "Carry On Baggage Offender".  These are the people who bring extremely large carry on bags onto the plane and try to squeeze them in the overhead bin and then end up having to check their luggage plane side.  My guess is that the individuals who do this are just trying to get away with not paying a checked bag fee.

Not on the list that I find really annoying is when individuals crowd the gate inside the airport. It's really annoying when passengers crowd the gate before their boarding zone is called making it difficult for others to board.  Most likely these are the same Carry On Bag Offenders who are trying to get on the plane as quick as they can to grab overhead space for their overisized luggage.

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

I think you hit the nail on the head...I want to make sure I can get a bin so let me stand in the middle of the walkway even though I am in group 4 and they haven't even called group 2 yet.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...