3 Replies Latest reply: Dec 10, 2014 7:16 PM by lindseyh RSS

Newbie support please

krisa Member
Currently Being Moderated

HI,

im brand new to the scheme, this is my scenario. my company insists we make bookings for all hotels and travel through a third party as they believe (wrongly) they get a better rate

my question is will I still be able to collect points at the time of check in / check out? I will be settling the bill my self.

i Will be in a hotel 4-5 nights per week for the next 3 months so any chain that offer me some be fits is likely to get my business

thanks in advance for your help, phoned customer service but they weren't great

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Newbie support please
    lindseyh Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Welcome to Insiders krisa! So glad to have you join our community. You'll find this is a wonderful place to ask questions such as the one you bring up here, as well receive travel tips, insights and stories from fellow travelers. Here is the Getting Started Guide, which may come in handy as you get familiar with the site. You can also always reach out to myself, The specified item was not found. KatieC, or NathalieF with any questions you have. We are the moderators for this site and are always happy to help!

I'm looking into clarification around your question, and will let you know what I find out. Thanks for posting!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Tough question, shouldn't be, but it is.

There are are a myriad of rules for qualifying nights and points, the booking must be in your name quoting your Marriott Rewards number, for a room occupied by you, billed to you and paid by you (Or direct billed to the party responsible for paying the bill). Master billed accounts don't qualify as don't stays booked via online retailers such as Booking.com, Expedia, Orbitz etc.

The reality is that if you book your stay via Marriott.com via your account, it'll qualify. From the wording it would seem that as long as your employer uses a reputable non-online agent booked with your Marriott Rewards account number and in your name (whether or not in conjunction with the company), then on the basis you'll be paying it, it should qualify. It certainly would come within the definitions in Paras 1-9 of "earning points" in the Marriott Rewards T&Cs. The only real concern here is the booking going via an agent rather than Marriott.

I think the situation you describe will qualify, but it's not really my opinion that counts, it's Marriotts, the issue is going to be the booking agent...

lindseyh Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Hey krisa , so here's what I learned!

You can earn points and elite nights only when booking eligible nights through Marriott. You won't receive them if booking through a third party.  

Something you should definitely check out is Marriott's Best Rate Guarantee. I've pasted a link to the info page below. Basically, If you book through Marriott, but later find a room at a lower rate on a third party site, you can request a price match, plus additional discount. 

Hotel Rate | Hotel Rates | Marriott Best Rate Guarantee

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...