10 Replies Latest reply: Dec 22, 2014 3:52 PM by erc RSS

Home for the Holidays

erc Platinum
Currently Being Moderated
Insiders have shared where we travel to during the holidays and what we like to do, how about some details about your actual hometown over the holidays? Certainly, Washington DC like several major cities, is lovely during the holidays with plenty of holiday spirit, decorations, and performances. Being the nation's capital, along with the numerous neighborhood holiday craft fairs, we have the good fortune of having embassies offering their countries' bazaars and markets (Sweden and Norway, always put on a great show)  and like several coastal cities or those on rivers, we have the parade of lights on boats. Here are some of the activities I enjoy each year from my hometown (both city and suburb), how about you?
20141207_055350_resized.jpg
Each year a local dance troupe puts on a surprisingly stylish and quite entertaining holiday show  
(now, some of the neighbors I watched are instructors - some became Rockettes).    
I also like to head into the city for at least one show at one of the major theatres or churches
20141206_170006_resized.jpg
20141206_190944_resized.jpg
This year, friends were performing downtown in a choral presentation, lots of fun
(adult singers lined up along the walls and back - real stereo sound)
and an excuse to go to two of my favorite spots, Birch and Barley restaurant and their upstairs beer hall Church Key
Other spots throughout the city which provide a nice holiday spirit       
IMAG2395.jpg
The Botanic Gardens - invigorating plants along with a nice holiday train display    
IMAG2407.jpg
And for trains - Union Station is always decked out with trees, decorations, and train sets    
IMAG2454.jpg
   The US national Christmas tree as seen from a variety of buildings, even more majestic up close

IMAG2549.jpg
  The National Zoo all December, puts on a nice display of lights, animals, and exhibits

IMAG2421.jpg
  The Holiday Market near the National Art Gallery has many artisan gifts

IMAG2440.jpg
   and of course, as we shared last year, most all of the hotels have
  lovely lobby decorations, here's the Willard
near the White House

The  Insiders forum has many great towns and cities represented, as the holidays roll along, share a tale or two about your hometown holiday activities, we all just might want to visit.

Happy Holidays to Insiders, one and all.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Home for the Holidays
    pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

I am just happy to BE home for the holidays!  I have traveled a TON since about the July before this one past and am tired from being constantly on the go.  I am presently home for 4 straight weekends in a row, from Thanksgiving to just before Christmas, and wow, just awesome.  I have enjoyed preparing the house for Christmas, decorating the trees, socializing with friends and local groups, luncheons and potlucks, shopping and wrapping gifts, and even the long lines at the post office have not bothered me!  Everyone seems to be in good spirits.  I will watch my granddaughter's pre-school Christmas performance next week via Skype.

Culturally, there are a few things in town, Christmas Parade every year downtown, outdoor ice skating rink on the downtown pedestrian mall, Christmas Tree Lane (a tradition that we always partake in), Christmas lights at the Zoo, Children's Electrical Christmas Parade, our local ballet theater usually does the Nutcracker, there are jazz holiday performances and Fresno Phil holiday performances as well as local church productions.  Lots to enjoy, no shortage of ways to give and to bless others, this year it was fun working with the Marine Corps League and Toys for Tots (last weekend's marathon campaign exceeded its goal!), but I find the most enjoyment in just spending time with family and friends.

Our last sleeps in Marriott beds for the year will be Christmas Eve and Christmas Night.  We will be celebrating the holiday with the larger family in North San Diego County (North County).  Warm, sunny, beachy Christmases suit me just fine.

Christmas blessings, everyone.  May all your holiday wishes come true.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Enjoy your time at home, I know you've been gone more than I was when I was when I was working and testing software builds in ACY. 

Happy Holidays back at ya pluto77 and a Merry Christmas to ALL Insiders.

KatieC Member

Christmas in Connecticut is the best. So cliche, I know.

Christmas in CT.jpg

If I do travel, I never leave home without my Grinch hat and gloves. Watch out, I'll steal your Christmas.

Grinch.jpg

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

If I don't steal your Grinch hat and gloves first!    Those are awesome, KatieC.  Look at that, a Christmas tree farm in the background and everything - Great pic.  Go Grinch Katie, go!

erc Platinum

I couldn't get over the festive, holiday feel of a Florida area that I had never really ventured upon before (and I've banged all over Florida for decades). The Sarasota/Bradenton and over to the Gulf Coast, Longboat Key and Lido Island was quite enjoyable and worthy of another visit. It was also decorated in the spirit of the holidays.

IMG_0804.JPG  
      Had a great time walking the retail area of St. Armand's Circle
      http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g34618-d109809-Reviews-St_Armands_Circle-Sarasota_Florida.html

Sadly, my photography skills failed me and the eight lovely (or so I thought) photos were nowhere to be found

Here's what I would have posted of the Sarasota Marina looked like, if I knew what I was doing.

And speaking of Home for the Holidays. Yours truly is all set for this years hosting extravaganza.

IMG_0284.JPG 

Here's the game plan - a few bowl games, a few cases, and then to the poker tables where hopefully my girth will absorb the suds better than my competitors and I'll finance a few Marriott stays next year. Yeah baby, love me some family cutthroat poker :-D

Note the Insider influence - bejacob's Dark Horse from Columbus,  IAHFLYR's Shiner, jakeal's craft brews, the UK boys' (sg1974, Tommo781, and brightlybob) Ginger Beer, FlashPerks Sam Adams and on and on (not making the photo, the significant backup of the basics; Coors, Becks, Stella, Heinie's, and Yuengling).

Happy Holidays to all

tommo781 Gold 8 Reviews

Ginger Beer erc?  GINGER BEER!!!!!!!!!  A true Englishman is musch more likely to enjoy a pint of good old bitter - served warm of course! 

Some examples!

Harvey's Sussex Best Bitter

Hook-Norton-Brewery-435x234

erc Platinum

Bitters, eh? Ok, I'll give it a go.

Room temperature? Whoa, you Brits are manly men!

Hey, is it true that warm beer ruins your teeth?  

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

erc you're missing one however. P1020502.JPG

erc Platinum

I'm on it.  Speaking of holiday activities, what's the word on the piano man and the Big Apple?

oops, just read your write up - good stuff

20140524_105222.jpg

erc Platinum

The Kennedy Center, besides offering terrific rooftop views up and down the Potomac River, also puts on several excellent holiday performances.

20141221_124758_resized.jpg

This though (in the cafe) is about the extent of the holiday decorations

20141221_125739_resized.jpg

Our pals from Marriott do provide a generous grant which support Free 30 minute performances (excellent quality) 365 days a year at 6:00 pm. If you're staying at the Dupont Circle Renaissance or the 22nd and M St. Marriott, it's a very nice walk in the spring or fall (and the occasional nice summer day as well). It's also a nice combo, Millennium performance, a dinner on the top floor (the Rooftop Terrace is ok, but my preference is the KC Cafe - more casual, half the price, often quicker, and just as nice of view) and then your main stage evening performance.

You can also watch a live internet broadcast (of the Millennium) at kennedy-center.org/millennium.

Check it out someday - good stuff (and they have Happy Hour at the Foyer Bar 5-6 ).

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...