27 Replies Latest reply: Dec 15, 2014 11:10 AM by KatieC RSS

Have you ever had to sign a waiver for a hamburger?

lakeshore Platinum 11 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Hello Insiders's! It has been quite awhile since I have posted...busy with life and travel, too. Anyway, we just returned from a wonderful trip to Kauai, and at the Marriott Waiohai Beach Club(which was fantastic), we encountered something quite strange at their bar and grill on the beach when my husband and I ordered hamburgers for dinner. I told my family I would post thie above discussion question....

Here's our story :-)...We ordered two hamburgers, medium rare...now, these hamburgers were $16 and $14, so I would expect them to be pretty high quality meat. The waitress informed us that if we ordered them medium or medium rare, we would have to sign a waiver. A waiver!!! We have never had to sign a waiver for a hamburger before, and were a bit flabbergasted. She said it was Marriott policy, which I have never heard of, and seemed very fishy, since we had just come from the Marriott Kauai Beach Club, where they served our sons delicious medium rare burgers, and without having to sign a waiver! I just thought this was extremely strange, especially for a pretty pricey burger. Has anyone else experienced this? We have never had this happen at any other Marriott(actually, at any other restaurant), and it really started out dinner on a strange note...should we trust the chef? Is there something wrong with their meat? Did they have something terrible happen? And, we did end up signing the waiver, but when the burgers arrived,they were medium well. Lol, have to have a sense of humor, after all, it was our vacation! But a waste of money, and they lost our confidence. Never ate their again. Keoki's Paradise and Duke's got the remainder of our business. Having to sign a waiver does not make you feel very good about the competency of the chef or quality of ingredients. Marriott Waiohai, please have confidence in your chefs and ingredients, or lower your prices if the quality of food is an issue.

Insiders, if you have had to sign a waiver for Marriott hamburgers or anything else, please respond. I admit, I have been out of the loop, so perhaps I missed some new policy?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Koloa - Kauai, Hawaii, USA Marriott Vacation Club Intl Marriott's Waiohai Beach Club
  • Re: Have you ever had to sign a waiver for a hamburger?
    vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

lakeshore,

That's a new one on me. However I usually order my burgers Medium Well.   Wonder if that is a Hawaii thing?  Maybe our Hawaiian friend kharada46 can share his input.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews

lakeshore & vaboywnder

That's really odd!  I've never run into that kind of issue in the islands before, and I always order my beef medium rare or medium sometimes with burgers... It must be property specific.  I wonder if they ever had problems arise due to food borne illness or something? 

At any rate, I share your sentiment on the matter lakeshore.  I would be worried if I had to sign a waiver.  Don't you only get those if you're going to pull an insane food competition??  

erc Platinum

kharada46

I'm sure we've all signed waivers for physical activities (windsurfing, kayaking, even hiking certain trails etc) and I've signed some waivers to test the "atomic" type of wings (some were just part of the hype, others were legit - ouch!). So I guess in some parts, given the litigious nature of the beast, the bar is lowered, heck we'll probably soon need to sign to use a steak knife.

I think bpelican has a good approach, if you really want it, sign it (but of course, I do ask myself, hey, am I signing this because of the overarching societal fear of litigation or am I signing it because your medium rare skills are really terrible ).

Good stuff lakeshore thanks for the topic.

Leave it to erc to have to sign a waiver for a food challenge... atomic wings no less!  Don't think I've signed any waivers involving personal injury yet, but will have to when I start crossing items off my bucket list... jump out of a plane anyone? 

erc Platinum

kharada46

When you're married, my age, and even think about jumping out of a plane, it's not called a waiver, it's call a Power of Attorney.

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

kharada46,

It has always made me wonder about a person who would willingly leave a good airplane? 

As for the medium rare Marriott burger, I must confess that last week while on a golfing expedition in Puerto Vallarta at the CasaMagna I required a fairly late evening Marriott burger to be delivered to the room.  They told me "medium rare was not safe and it would be cooked to at least medium" so I said "fine bring me a chicken sandwich".  Now there could have been some minor language issue even though I do have a tiny bit of Spanglish available......I got my medium rare Marriott burger and oh it was sooooooooo dang good.

IAHFLYR,

Some might say that's the ultimate form of aviation right?  A flying falling human lol

That's a bit strange?  Glad it worked out though!  I don't think I've ever had a true Marriott burger... I did have a cheeseburger from a CY Bistro, and I thought it was awful... I would have preferred a Whopper

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

kharada46, come on man, really the Bistro......you didn't really eat there did you?

IAHFLYR, it wasn't the originally planned dining destination... BUT, I was super tired after a full day (beginning at 2am) atop Haleakala and in Up Country Maui, and I wasn't feeling so well... so Bistro it was!  I really didn't want to leave the hotel or eat pizza

Crazy, but good! Lol! Glad you got it right, even with the Spanglish! I tell you, when  Marriott gets the medium rare burger right, it is fantastic!!!

Whenever we have a medium rare burger at a full service Marriott or JW(sorry, Kharada, never get burgers at the bistro), they have always been great! I remember the first time was 13 1/2 years ago at the JW Ihilani...it was $10, the most expensive burger we have ever had at that point, but soooo worth it....delicious! I think we shared it! :-)

lakeshore, my friend/JW Marriott Ihilani employee always gets the burger at the Ihilani.  He says the pickles there are an Ihilani exclusive; the chef's own recipe!  Alas we have less than a month left to enjoy it!

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

lakeshore,

Unbelievable!

Thanks for sharing, but no way for me!  Give me the medium rare, with no waiver!

tommo781 Silver 8 Reviews

Unbelievable!!!  I have never heard anything like it, even here in the UK where things tend to be Health & Safety overkill.

zukracer Alumni Steward Platinum 4 Reviews

Yeah that's got to be a localized thing.  I've never run into it and usually order my burger medium at finer places.  At dives, I go well done just to prevent any concerns

Quite odd but I'd imagine someone sued someone or something after getting sick after eating a less cooked burger. 

erc Platinum

I haven't seen any waivers yet but I have, twice in the past three months, had guests (like vaboy, I like mine at least medium) been told that the restaurant does not serve meat medium rare or below. Perhaps it was similar to celebrity chefs who aren't too keen on us seasoning our food, or perhaps it's the result of this 'era of civil litigation', but I expect this type of stuff to increase rather than decline - oh well.

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

Most menus post 'warnings' about eating undercooked meat, eggs, or shellfish, but signing a waiver is a bit much. As zukracer says, it is probably the result of a previous lawsuit.

bpelican Platinum 57 Reviews

lakeshore

As a very experienced Marriott Burger patron, I can tell you that Marriott restaurants will only serve, at best, medium-well burgers.  They have been doing this as long as I can remember.  If you order medium, they won't say anything, close enough!  But, if you order rare or medium-rare (my personal choice) they will tell you they can't do it.  Doesn't appear to make any difference where the hotel is located, Hawaii, NYC, Orlando, Chicago, St. Thomas, etc.  I have never been asked to sign a waiver, but must confess that I would gladly sign a waiver to get a medium-rare Marriott Burger.   I also confess that I have been able to "bribe" some servers/cooks to cook my burger medium-rare for me at Marriott locations where they have served me for years, but will not reveal these locations even under torture.  Thanks for your post.

Frogs Platinum 9 Reviews

I've never heard of that before either!  Maybe it's time I head to Hawaii to test this out for myself!!!

My kids are loving reading your responses...thank you all so much! :-) For a second, when this happened, I thought we were on some weird "Punked" reality show! Lol!

Sadly, I realize this hotel must have had something happen, although the waitress repeatedly reiterated it was Marriott policy. As I stated above, just days before that at the Marriott Kauai Beach Club in Lihue(different part of the island), my 13 and 11 year old sons were served delicious medium rare burgers at the Marriott bar and grill there, no questions asked, no warnings given, no waivers to be signed, and the burgers were cooked perfectly!!! So, I don't think it is a Hawaii thing. And, last month we enjoyed medium rare burgers at the Marriott in Overland Park, KS, and at the JW San Antonio, too, with no Marriott waivers placed in front of us awaiting our signature. :-) LOL! It was just rather strange having official documents placed in front of my husband and myself to sign before ordering our food. I think it would be great if Marriott could just add raw meat on the listed foods(raw seafood) on the menu that might harbor harmful bacteria, so that they would be covered, and it wouldn't place the customer in a strange position...as I said, it really gave our meal a weird vibe! Plus, if they use high quality meat, it shouldn't be that much of  danger. My goodness, France would run out of paper if they had each person sign a waiver for anything cooked medium rare or medium!!! :-)

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

I agree with the other posters that it does not inspire confidence in the restaurant and its chefs if I have to sign a waiver for a burger. My guess, someone got sick (possibly not even from food there) and sued. Seems like a blanket policy in reacting to a previous incident to me, but just my humble opinion.

KatieC Member

I did some digging on this and found out that the waiver is a policy at Marriott's Waiohai Beach Club, and it has been in place since 2007. Many restaurant brands in the US have similar policies.

The policy dictates that beef hamburgers are to be served at or above 155 degrees (medium well). Thoroughly cooking ground beef to the appropriate temperature, regardless of source or quality, is the only way to ensure harmful bacteria are eliminated. The waiver helps to make sure the guest is aware of and accepts the risks associated with consuming undercooked meats.

I hope this helps to clear things up a bit. Please note that this is not a Marriott-wide policy.

Better safe than sorry, right?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...