8 Replies Latest reply: Oct 1, 2015 10:54 AM by carat RSS

Mobile App Impressions Good and Bad

mybnj Platinum 10 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Downloaded the N. America App as soon as it came out, as it was a great concept.  Used it several times in Herndon VA and it worked flawlessly.  Only complaint was you had to have your reservation confirmation number in your hands so you could check in.   Would be nicer if it was just a link, or some type of confirm you could easily recall.  At any rate, when I arrived, they acknowledged my mobile check in and handed me my key as I walked in the door and I mean literally.  Someone was standing at the door holding a folder... was very impressed.      6 months later issues occurred.   Checked in night before with a very early check-in at the Marquis and I noticed I would not get my room type... normally 2 beds vs a King.  I tend to believe it was my early check in driving this, but also checking in day before when inventory was low didn't help.  This happened several times.    Another NY Hotel - residence inn - and get the email asking for mobile check in.   When  I try to do this with reservation number, I get a error message indicating they found my reservation, but the hotel does not offer mobile check in.  Curious about this and wonder, why did they send me the email telling me to check in via the app?    Week later same thing....  Now for several months, I get the same message, at various Marriott hotels.   I no longer use it as much.  Results have been mixed.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Marriott Downtown NYC
mobile, check in app
app
  • Re: Mobile App Impressions Good and Bad
    erc Platinum

mybnj

Thanks for taking the effort to share with us. This is a valuable post, especially to late adopters like myself, whose tech learning curve is so steep, I'm concerned that by time I learn how to program the BetaMax, they've switched to VCRs (which should give you some indication of my most recent tech exploits ).

Just as an outside observer I've noticed that Marriott isn't always the most effective in implementing new applications and processes (and besides, I'm still convinced my room enhancement strategy works best in person).

What have other intrepid tech travelers experienced? Is it time for me to 'bite the bullet' and learn, or have you other Insiders experienced similar check in issues using mobile app? Thanks

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

tommo781 Gold 8 Reviews

I'm like erc - not exactly a technophobe, but in my case pretty close.  The problem is that my ordinary ancient mobile phone is past its best and I am going to have to get another.  I am being pressured to get a smart phone, which will take me into the completely alien world of apps.

So tell me someone please.  If I did master the check in app (fat chance to be honest) would I get an upgrade if one was available, or would I automatically get the room type on my reservation?

I must admit I am inclined to take my chance at the check in desk rather than use technology, but I will happily bow to the superior knowledge of more tech savvy MRIs! .

marriottrvwr Platinum 1 Reviews

I've checked in with the mobile app twice where it has checked me out a day earlier than my confirmed stay. Coincidence? I don't think so! This is the second stay where I used the app to check in on a Monday and received the bill under my door one day before my confirmed check out. When I call the front desk, they say that it appears that I am scheduled to check out on that day and I have to go to the front desk and get my key re-instated. I have the original confirmation which shows my expected check-out is the next day. And, when I checked in, the front desk clerk said, "Staying through Friday, correct?" Correct. Then how come the computer checked me out on Thursday? This is a royal pain. I am not sure it is worth the mobile check in if I have to visit the front desk later in the week to get my key re-instated. Wondering if anyone else has had this experience?

Location Brand Hotel
    Marriott Downtown NYC
    mobile, check in app
    app
      iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Very interesting as I've used the Mobile Check-In probably five times at different hotels and have not run into your issue. 

bonzaiflyer Platinum

I've not had that problem, but to me it's just a toy that Marriott can use to say "we have mobile check-in" and are at the forefront of technology.  Worst time with it was at the Courtyard Greensboro, NC.  I checked in the day prior to arrival, indicating that we'd be there at 11:00PM.  Upon arrival, the key packet wasn't ready and worst of all, when we got to our room, there was no power to the room.  No lights, no A/C, checked the refrigerator and it was hot.  So the power had been off for quite a while.  You'd figure that the keys would be ready and that the room would be in working order.  Other times, they key packet was ready and there were no issues.  Be advised, they assume you'll want points for your Platinum amenity, so if you're staying at a full service Marriott brand and wanted something else, you have to tell them (although I almost always take the points).

doddsy69 Platinum 8 Reviews

to be honest it's a total and utter waste of time you never ever skip the lines like it says you still have to wait

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Never waited more than the time to get your breakfast coupon if the CL is closed and any other specials they may have for you when you pick up your key.

carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

Great insight here community!

I've found a similar and more recent thread.  Thought you all may enjoy it.

Re: Mobile check-in and upgrades

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...