12 Replies Latest reply: Dec 10, 2014 9:17 PM by mybnj RSS

How to or not to earn reward credits toward elite status!

dexterdog Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Reaching platinum elite status has me a bit confused. I was sitting at 70 days and stayed at MARRIOTT Streamside in Vail for 5 nights. I assumed that would put me at the required 75 nights for another year of platinum -WRONG! The Vail MARRIOTT Streamside doesn't participate in the rewards program.   I was referred to paragraph 11 of the rewards agreement and was told that I should have been aware of that situation. So, I learned that just because I stay at a MARRIOTT I can not assume that the night will count or that I will receive reward points. A Marriott should be a Marriott. Call it something else if it is a special nonparticipating location or at least make the customer aware when the reservation is confirmed.

That brings me to the rewards credit card. It states that for every $3000 spent, one elite night credit is earned. To me spending $15000 should earn 5 elite credits. Again, I must be missing something or there is something special about being at 70 nights because, again, I have not received the credits and did not reach 75 nights for the platinum status. I did spend the required 15K.

SInce this lack  of follow through on the part of Marriot, my travels have earned me my next 5 nights credit and I now sit at 75 nights, but in my mind it should be 85. I have contacted Marriott rewards by phone and was told that all was good and would be attended to. I followed up with an email to the person I spoke to - no response. I have attempted to reach someone 3 other times. Again, no response nor follow through. This is NOT the kind of service that a loyal Marriott customer should receive!

what am I missing?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Vail, Colorado, USA
  • Re: How to or not to earn reward credits toward elite status!
    zukracer Alumni Steward Platinum 4 Reviews

Sadly there are times where we have to stay on top of things more than we should.  Sounds like you've hit one of those but the elite nights for the spend should count.  I've seen other threads where others had an issue, perhaps Chase has not got it sorted out yet.  As for the Marriott not getting you elite nights, that's a new one.  I've heard some rates or means of booking don't allow for it but never that a Marriott branded property doesn't issue elite nights if booked correctly (through Marriott.com for example).  Something sounds weird about that one, did you book through priceline or something?

As far as reaching platinum, congrats!  You'll enjoy some added points for sure from it and hopefully an upgrade or few along the way. 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

dexterdog Platinum

All booking was done and has been done through the Marriott web site. If it were done through Hotels.com or Priceline it could be better understood.

zukracer Alumni Steward Platinum 4 Reviews

yeah thats weird.  Hopefully they can sort it out for you but it's interesting to know thats a possibility.  I know some of the newly integrated groups were having challenges with points/nights but always assumed a full branded Marriott wouldn't have such issues.

Hope they get it sorted out, that extra 10 nights is 10 more towards next year if they do roll over nights again

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

I am categorically NOT defending Marriott here. I believe all Marriotts should participate in the program bearing their name. I'd never consider that any Marriott branded property would be exempt from the scheme... But... But...

Well, like you dexterdog, I'd be wrong.

There are 3 Marriott streamside properties in Vail, all are Marriott Vacation Clubs and all very clearly state on the front of their hotel webpage on Marriott.com that they DO NOT PARTICIPATE in the Rewards program, in capital letters, the very first sentence. Less obvious, but nonetheless clearly, if you don't go to the hotel webpage first (and I personally seldom go to the hotel webpage for business, though I usually do so for leisure stays, and all 3 of these properties are clearly marketed towards the leisure segment) it is clearly highlighted in the notes at the top of the booking page that these properties do not participate, though not bolded, nor in CAPITALS. You're done for. No nights credit, nor points here.

Even so, I think this is shoddy. We all need to look carefully when booking on the Marriott site, we all know not all hotels fully participate, watch out for any hotel entitled Resort, I seem to recall a few Autographs don't either. Townplace and Residence Inns are half pointers, the Executive Apartments are 1/3rd nights, the whole thing is riddled with exemptions and Get-Out clauses far more worthy of some sub-prime lender than a respected household name, but... *sigh*... all the big hotel brands do it. I now need to add to my watchlist, any Marriott property with "Vacation Club" in its name. I suspect these are the only ones at the moment, but if it works for Vail, then we can expect other MVC properties to press for a similar money-saving opportunity.

You've learned something new, and thanks to your sharing so have we all here. I doubt it makes you feel any better, I don't think it would me...

dexterdog Platinum

I Stay at vacation club properties often because I find them a good value and often less expensive than a Marriott hotel brand. (Yes, I am a vacation club owner). This is the first time I have come across one that does not participate in the rewards program. In fact, the folks at Streamside have recently told me that they are the only VC property that does not participate. If you go to the vacation club web site, and access the Streamside site there is no mention of their nonparticipation in the rewards program;however, the Marriott app, which I often use, NOW states such. It's a bit like closing the gate after the cattle have already left the pen. CYA Marriott!

erc Platinum

dexterdog

I too feel your pain and share your disappointment, as well as thank you for sharing. These exceptions hurt so bad when they occur (especially in a status determining case like yours), that a while back, I made myself aware of the exceptions (granted, it took at least a half an hour to find) that are buried pretty deeply in the Rewards Terms and Conditions under General Membership #11 (see, you either need brightlybob's well honed lawyer brain or be a complete points wacko like yours truly to even dig this deep)

1. Members may earn and redeem Points at participating Marriott hotel brands and Ritz-Carlton hotels:

1. The Ritz-Carlton hotels – all locations except:

1. The Ritz-Carlton, Millennia Singapore

2. Phulay Bay, A Ritz-Carlton Reserve

3. Dorado Beach, A Ritz-Carlton Reserve
        4. The following partner hotels do not participate:

• - Hotel Ritz-London – London, UK

• - Hotel Ritz Madrid – Madrid, Spain

• - Bulgari Hotel, Milano – Milan, Italty

• - Bulgari Resort, Bali – Bali, Indonesia

5. In addition, The Ritz-Carlton Destination Clubs, The Ritz-Carlton Residences, and The Abaco Club do not participate

2. JW Marriott® Hotels & Resorts - all locations except:

1. Miami Beaux Arts

3. EDITION® - all locations

4. Autograph Collection® - all locations except:

1. Atlantis, Paradise Island, Bahamas participates in Marriott Rewards as follows:
          1. Points and/or Miles may be earned for reservations booked through www.marriott.com/atlantis or by calling 1-855-696-4732. Points and or Miles will not be earned and Points cannot be redeemed for reservations booked through Atlantis Paradise Vacations, Atlantis.com, or AtlantisBahamas.com.
          2. Points may be redeemed for stays only by calling 1-855-696-4732. At this time, redemption stays cannot be booked online.
          3. Points and/or Miles may be earned and Points may be redeemed for stays at Atlantis, Beach Tower, Atlantis, Coral Towers, Atlantis, Royal Towers, and Atlantis, The Cove. The Reef Atlantis participates as an earnings location only.
          4. Points and/or Miles may be earned on Room Rate only.
      5. Renaissance® Hotels - all locations

6. AC Hotels by Marriott® - all locations

7. Marriott Hotels & Resorts® - all locations

8. Gaylord Hotels® - all locations

9. Courtyard by Marriott® - all locations

10. Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott - all locations

11. SpringHill Suites by Marriott® - all locations

12. Residence Inn by Marriott - all locations except:

1. Inn at Mayo Clinic, Jacksonville, FL

13. TownePlace Suites by Marriott® - all locations

14. Moxy Hotels® - all locations

15. Marriott Vacation® Club International - all locations except:

1. Marriott's StreamSide Evergreen, Vail, CO

2. Marriott's StreamSide Douglas, Vail, CO

3. Marriott's StreamSide Birch, Vail, CO

4. 47 Park Street - Marriott Grand Residence Club, UK

5. Marriott's Bangkok Empire Place, Bangkok, Thailand
      16. Marriott® Conference Centers - all locations except:

1. Aspen Wye River Conference Center, Queenstown, MD (participates as an earnings location only)

2. NCED Marriott Conference Center, Oklahoma City, OK

3. Jesse H. Jones Rotary House Conference Center, Houston, TX

17. The following brands do not participate:

1. Protea Hotels®

18. Participating point earnings partners (no Points redemption) are ExecuStay and Marriott Executive Apartments.

19. Participating redemption partners (no Points earning) are Ashford Castle and Dromoland Castle.

I remember the first time I read through this I said to myself, "Marriott has castles - wow!"

I would imagine they will update Protea relatively soon - but what a challenge to know these things.

These things sting so much when they occur, I took a page from Fast Times at Ridgemont High

Learn it know it live it.wmv - YouTube

and from the Who - won't get fooled again. Man I hate that. Thanks for sharing.

next week's discussion - the full service exceptions who only give points and not breakfast (that hurts me, a heavy eater, almost as much )

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

I was in Jacksonville last week over the holiday and almost stayed at that Res Inn/Mayo Clinic. It was on the website and I just assumed it was like all others and participated in MARRIOTT programs......good thing I stayed closer to the airport.  All of these exceptions should be out of the brand, as far as I'm concerned. You know they must be taking advantage of the name and website to fill revenue earning rooms, but at no cost. Scabs at best...throw them out, Marriott.

tommo781 Silver 8 Reviews

Add in Bulgari London (opened 2012) as another that doesn't participate in Marriott Rewards erc, and the list gets even longer!

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Excellently done, erc, I think the non-participants within Marriott.com are well signposted on the property webpages at marriott.com, but it's good to have the full list. I do remember seeing that clause, I think when I was researching the breakfast exemption for my stay in Philadelphia, there's certainly plenty of small print!

dexterdog Platinum

YYes, this is the famous paragraph 11 that I referred to in my original message.

mybnj Platinum 10 Reviews

A marriott is a marriott and participating in the program should be a prerequisite to carrying the name.  Unfortunately, this one of those "fine print" items big business hangs their hat on when they want to alter their rules to suit their own best interests.  Decisions should always be made with the customers best interests in mind, especially in the day of social media, twitter and blogs where one bad experience, or better yet, a video of a bad experience can be posted and reposted and cause havoc on companies brand and reputation. 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...