8 Replies Latest reply: Dec 24, 2014 5:17 AM by brightlybob RSS

Platinum Elite expiration?

quarter Platinum 1 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

3 years ago I stayed in a Marriott for 500 straight days. Points rolled over and I kept my Platinum Elite status. Now, I've stayed for 45 nights in 2014. Will I lose my Elite status until another year of 75+ nights or will they ever roll over some of the extra nights to make it Elite again?

Thanks!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Platinum Elite expiration?
    brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

SO if I've got this right, you had 500 nights 3 years ago in 2011, so 425 nights rolled over to 2012.

Whatever nights you did in 2012 wouldn't matter because of your rollover but as nights can't rollover twice that entire credit would disappear on 31/12/12. In 2013, if you didn't do 75 nights you could be busted down to gold, but Marriott has a long history of continuing Plat to past "ultra loyal" stayers, so whatever you probably wouldn't have been busted down in 2013, nor it looks like in 2014. At some point this largesse from Marriott based on your incredible 500-night year must end. And this could be the year, but really no-one knows...

SO will they continue your Plat status again even though you've only done 45 nights this year? Or will they finally bust you down to Gold? My bet is on the bust, but I've been wrong many times before!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

you maybe getting close to lifetime platinum 

OOooh jerryl Nice catch!

Yes, quarter, as jerryl adds, you could have reached or be close to lifetime Platinum, which comes your way after you've stayed 750 nights AND earned 2milion points.

The nights won't be an issue as rollover nights count a second time, so 500 nights are 425 in excess of the 75 night plat requirement meaning they count a second time, so one 500 nights in one year yields 925 lifetime nights.

Your issue will be the points, 500 nights at $80/night will earn 600k points inc plat bonus, $150/night would be 1.1million Points. Hitting the biggest megabonuses which are awarded 3 times each year at 50,000 points each time will add another 150k points to either score. If the stay was at a Residence Inn or Townplace Suite the points are halved, though megabonuses remain the same.

It would be worth checking your lifetime totals which are to be found on the Marriott website in "my account" clicking on "2014 nights". As I say, you're there on the nights (unless you spent them at an exec apartment), and could have reached the points taking into account your megayear assuming you had rates of $150/night and a few other reasonable years. Then again if those 500 nights were all at $80/night at a Residance Inn, you will fall a long way short on the points...

zukracer Alumni Steward Platinum 4 Reviews

Definitely check the lifetime status, even for gold as you might have tripped that one and stay at gold even with only 45 nights this year. 

Marriott has a "soft landing" policy for plats, if a plat doesn't make the 75 nights and a decision is made to downgrade, it's one level only, regardless of nights that year...

So if a member stays only 5 nights in a year:

a) plat prem is demoted to plat;

b) plat is demoted to gold

c) gold is demoted to silver

d) silver is demoted to blue

hence if Marriott decides to demote OP as a plat he/she will be demoted to gold even though they haven't stayed enough nights for gold.

reesmicm Platinum

3x Platinum Elite 500 nights lifetime benefits

I am on my third Platinum level in the past 5 years and have 500 nights.  I am going to fall way short of getting my Platinum this year since my international travels had limited Marriott properties, so I had to stay at other hotels.

The question I have, since I have had multiple platinum levels, I have heard that I can at least have a Gold "lifetime" level - is this true or false?

Hi, reesmicm

Marriott's lifetime program is set by nights AND points, so:

Lifetime Silver requires 250 lifetime nights and 1,200,000 points earned

Lifetime Gold requires 500 lifetime nights and 1,600,000 points earned

Lifetime Platinum requires 750 lifetime nights and 2,000,000 points earned.

Note, points earned does not mean points in your account, so you dont have to save up the points.

For most members, the difficulty is the points, especially at Silver and Gold lifetime levels. 750 nights stayed at Residence Inns, or Townplace Suites would struggle to achieve even 1,000,000 points, on the other hand 750 nights spent in the full service brands, Marriott, JW, Renaissance and Autograph would likely make it to 2,000,000. All points earned count, base points, bonuses, welcome points, even those 50 points for re-twittering on facebook.

To find out where you are, log into your online Marriott account and go to overview, there you'll see a 2014 nights counter, click on the 2014 nights detail and that will open a small popup displaying lifetime nights and points at the bottom, plus your current lifetime status, if you have it, it will read "lifetime silver status", "lifetime gold status" or "lifetime platinum status".

It sounds like you've acheived the nights, so the question for you is the points. Hope this helps...

curiousone Platinum

As a Marriott Time Share owner it is pretty easy to meet the points requirements, assuming you convert your weeks to MR points. Because I am still working, I convert most of my weeks into MR points so I can take advantage of travel packages and long week ends at cities across the country. Based on current travel, and Marriott rules, I should make LT Gold in 3 years. I am already well past the points for LT Plat. Maybe we will all get lucky and Marriott will finally recognize that points are a currency (just like $ and Euros) and nights booked with points should earn night stay credits. (Hey, I am an optimist.) (I was going to say dreamer instead of optimist, but dreamer has a new meaning in America.)

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...